Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ae86 street project

Ya, if you are willing to spend enough to.get good coil covers, BC or something like that?
    Just not stance, or ksport even the greddy ones look crappy.
    Carry on, I'd like to see some nice propper coilovers

Quote Originally Posted by ae88pat View Post
    its the spring that you loosen and not the purch. By doing that you screw around with the spring tension.
    What do you mean by this? All coilovers are built the same way. Some are double adjustable so that you can tune your shocks as well. The tension on your spring will remain the same. If you're concerned with the coils becoming unseated, you can use helper springs to keep 'tension' on the system as it uncompresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    What do you mean by this? All coilovers are built the same way. Some are double adjustable so that you can tune your shocks as well. The tension on your spring will remain the same. If you're concerned with the coils becoming unseated, you can use helper springs to keep 'tension' on the system as it uncompresses.
    i mean when you build theme using factory front assembly. the kit from t3 that you have to cut and weld. the lowering of the car is done by loosening the spring. Thats what it looks like to me.

i have already bought my coil overs They should be here any day. I also received my bushing kit. I cant wait to get my parts back from powder coating.

Even my premade kit does the same as T3, you lower the bottom perch, but the strut also lowers, the spring tension stays the same. As for going too high and getting loose, it may never happen, it doesn't happen to many people here, but there are helper springs that can fix that. I know you already found something, but I too have premade stuff, and now I am looking to get serious and make my own because I want grip as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade7 View Post
    now I am looking to get serious and make my own because I want grip as well.
    Paulcorolla is right. A home-brew set of coil overs using konis = best bang for the buck, especially if you want to grip. On top of that, if you blow the 'shock', you don't have to sent them away for a rebuild. Just replace with a new insert. Best of all, you can have a bunch of strut housings pre-modified, if you have the means; to reduce downtime even further.

IIRC, the inserts that a few of us grip guys run are the 8610-1437 RACE made by Koni.

I drove a car with 8/6 and koni race. Best feeling 86 ever.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

1436 are the shortest stroke, 1437 are 1.5" longer stroke, but still super short. I'm using the 37's.

Bushing kit is in!!! If onley my coil overs can get here. Got some parts back from powder coating and it looks sick. Will be working on the rear end of the car this weekend. I am going to be woking on this car as much as i can befor jdm fest.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Suspention is in!!!!! Cant wait to put these on!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by ae88pat; 06-10-2014 at 03:55 AM.

They look very nice! What brand, and spring rates? Lots of adjustment on the shocks?
    Put them in!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by paulcorolla View Post
    They look very nice! What brand, and spring rates? Lots of adjustment on the shocks?
    Put them in!!!!
    megan racing 8k front 6k rear. 32 level of damper adjustment.
    Last edited by ae88pat; 06-10-2014 at 06:50 AM.

Finally got to work on the car. The past month has been crazy, 1 was paul walker run then weekend after was Honda fest and last weekend was rock fest in montebelo. So now I cant stand my 86 being apart so i have been working on it during the week a bit.
    I cleaned up the wheel well and painted theme black. I installed the front bushings, sway bar, tension bars, control arms. I only have the back to do now. I am fighting with the bolt that holds the links to the floor of the car. I will probably have to cut it but there in not a heck of alot of room.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG][IMG]

[/IMG]

PRAISE THE LAWD BY GOLLY! GUYS HE FINALLY LOWERED IT!

But in all seriousness Pat, this car is going to look sweet when it's done.
    '80 MX32 sedan |'83 AE71 wagon |'84 AE86 hatch
    '85 AE86 coupe |'86 AE86 hatch |'86 AE86 coupe
    '88 MR2 S/C |'86 S12 hatch |'88 Silvia K's
    '91 Z30 Soarer '92 JZS147 Aristo |'92 S13 coupe
    '93 R33 Skyline |'98 S14 kouki

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Is dyno like 200 for the hp if mustang shifts but 300 if corolla shifts?

Lol, the man just had to do it on his time. I am also very excited to see this thing continue to progress.
    2011 Ford Escape - stock
    1984 AE86 - SR20
    1976 KE35 - rust bucket

Got to work on the car a bit last weekend. I removed the 4 link systme from the diff and dropped it on the ground. Hopefully I can get it back up this week end, but still waiting on panhard bar and rcd.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Ran into my first prob, I cant get the bolts out of the 2 long arms on the chassis side. i am thinking i am going to leave like that for the rest of summer and deal with it this fall. The bussings are good, Its not going to be painted that all.

[IMG][/IMG]

No way. Those are usually the easy ones since they are pretty hidden from the elements. I've never had one that didn't just slip out.
    The others though...usually need a cut of wheel.

RETIRED

I had to cut them all out, all 8 bolts.

Yay for ontario.

Just cut the bolt and nut off. Push and pull the link side to side to bend that bracket and it will come out. Tap the metal back into shape after. Done!

yep its the outer 2 links that are sized all the rest came out like butter. Looks like i will prob do that, i am going to be working on the car all weekend. Its a shame i will not have my panhard bar and rcd till monday.