Thread: 1999-2000 Subaru 2.5 RS Advice

1999-2000 Subaru 2.5 RS Advice

I've always appreciated how versatile this forum is when if comes to automotive knowledge, would like some opinions on the GC chassis 2.5 RS. I've been daily-ing Hondas for quite some time now, and it's really difficult to put the idea of driving a non-Honda as a daily (reliability, fuel efficiency, parts cost, aftermarket parts cost, parts availability, aftermarket used parts availability, community support etc.), but I'm getting bored, and old, and time's going by. I find there's no point making a post like this on a Subaru or GC forum as they'll just be like "these are the best cars ever, get one!!! Hondas suck!". I find DK is pretty un-biased in that regard.

I would like a GC chasis 2.5 RS coupe or Sedan, but wanted to know how they are in terms of reliability, fuel mileage, factory design flaws, any other possible annoying things about about the car (things that break/fail often, etc). What to look out for when shopping for one (if I get to that point). I'd plan on keeping car stock with basic bolt ons to the motor (intake, header, test pipe, exhaust, maybe cams), and some suspension mods. What are the ECU tuning options for these cars?

Wish I had posted a similar thread prior to buying my R32 GTR.

Thanks
    1986 Toyota Trueno GTV
    1990 Nissan Skyline GT-R
    1991 BMW 318is
    1990 Honda Civic DX 3DR

1989 Yamaha YSR 80
    2003 Derbi GPR 50 R

Quote Originally Posted by Duy- View Post
    watcha doing neighbour?
    puttin speed holes in my car

For the cost, I would recommend just getting a JDM WRX or STi and be happy with the factory power output, though they are worse on gas than a 2.5 and require premium which isn't desirable for a daily driver. I don't have any experience with NADM GC's, but the JDM's usually require new coil packs and a boost controller to solve common hesitation/misfire problems. Been several years since I owned one, but those are the only real issues I remember. If you go JDM there is a guy named Rob on the Subaru forums who I think just modifies/chips the stock ecu to pump out more power/perform better with our gas. Like old Toyotas, there is lots of parts interchangeability, so there aren't many issues with finding parts.

Quote Originally Posted by carthik2 View Post
    I find there's no point making a post like this on a Subaru or GC forum as they'll just be like "these are the best cars ever, get one!!! Hondas suck!".

Quote Originally Posted by PaulC23 View Post

I've owned 3 JDM wrx's and all needed updated coilpacks which is as easy as getting the updated coils, removing the ignitor chip and tying said coils in. That said they tend to go for the same price or less than usdm base models and the tolerances on the 2.0 are way tighter than the 2.5. The only gripe you may have is that the fuel tanks are pretty small and the wrx takes premium fuel due to that thing that makes wooshy noises under the hood. The jdm still gets my vote thouhh, never been let down by mine and you can waste guys in new Sti's because your car weighs half as much.
    If there's one thing I've learned from the first two thirds of the MC Hammer Biography, it's that money never runs out.

You guys keep going on about the JDM WRX, I was trying to stay away from that but a cheap one came up for sale... Though a cheap JDM WRX is still over my budget for a NADM 2.5 RS, they come up for sale DIRT cheap often. Keep in mind I'm in Toronto so JDM cars aren't as cheap as they are in the west fresh off the boat.

So coil packs, how many are there? What do these "updated" coil packs run? Are they just from a newer WRX? Are these coil on plug?

The JDM WRX I'm looking at "could use a timing belt", though I don't know why exactly. I'm guessing the timing belt is a pain in the ass with the turbo boxer motor?

It's at 200K KM, problems to expect at the KM? Funny how when buying Hondas with 340K I don't think twice, lol. According to the seller it's a 1994 WRX GC8A.
    1986 Toyota Trueno GTV
    1990 Nissan Skyline GT-R
    1991 BMW 318is
    1990 Honda Civic DX 3DR

1989 Yamaha YSR 80
    2003 Derbi GPR 50 R

Avoid turbo to avoid explosions.
    Flat fours suck.

RETIRED

Don't get one. If you can only afford a locally sourced lesbian driven 2.5 it's gonna be decent, but the tolerances on the motors, as I said are awful. But hey, I'm talking nerd ****... You should listen to Devin though, I don't have a gif of myself drifting and have real experience with these things.
    If there's one thing I've learned from the first two thirds of the MC Hammer Biography, it's that money never runs out.

Lol.

I didn't realize 2.5RS' were somewhat rare, I've looked into them immensely in the last little bit, seems they're pretty awesome, as long as it's not a 98 RS. A few more JDM WRXs popped up but I've decided to stick to the cheap NA 2.5RS. I'm going to try and find a clean running one. Wish me luck. Pics to follow if I do find one.

Funny story all these year's I've passed on owning one because various internet sources states that late model JDM STi's had a wider body (not referring to the 22B), I always thought I'd own one of those JDM STi's with the wider body and didn't want to build an un-cool narrow bodied chassis, turns out it's BS and all first gen Imprezas are basically the same (except the 22B of course). And of course now their harder to find...

Cheers,
    Last edited by carthik2; 05-11-2014 at 01:49 PM.
    1986 Toyota Trueno GTV
    1990 Nissan Skyline GT-R
    1991 BMW 318is
    1990 Honda Civic DX 3DR

1989 Yamaha YSR 80
    2003 Derbi GPR 50 R

Friend of mine has a JDM GC sti. Terrible on gas that's for sure. Depending on what Honda you're driving now, expect to pay up to twice as much at the pump.

If you do a lot of your own work on the car, I'd steer clear. Boxer engines are like rotary. Very cool in theory.

Having said all that, I still think they're super dope cars.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Subarus are ****in gay.. end of thread gtfo here with that nonsense.

You are incorrect.

In Toyota, we rust.

I wouldn't go anything under 2002, I believe thats when they made the changes to the unibody to stiffen it up more, although some guys like the old ones cause they weigh less. Apples to Oranges.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4age
    "The Miata will get some compliments along with some ?hairdresser? comments and odd looks from the average public, enthusiasts are never really sure if you are a stance guy, a drifter, or a homosexual"
    BUILD THREAD!!!
    http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...-pics-page-5!*

pros of 2.5rs compared to honda
    the subaru rumble
    4wd
    exempt from ricer status

cons of 2.5rs compared to honda
    coolant/overheating problem
    parts are expensive
    talking about $, nice wheels will be expensive
    more $$ for tires - change all 4
    timing belt jobs - not your typical diy

imho subaru's engine designs were **** and were confused like headless chickens.
    lolwut