Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guess the spring rates of Racecar.

Uhh anyways, this ****ing guy just guessed correctly, now what is my damn prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugwillis View Post
    Uhh anyways, this ****ing guy just guessed correctly, now what is my damn prize.
    A shifter bushing.
    $28 Bronze T50 shifter bushings HERE

Is that a garden lip?

...and he doesn't run sway bars like most of us?....probably not, probably runs giants. Why are we talking about this?

RETIRED

Ego stroking.
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

I know I don't race or even have an AE anymore, but ill share what I have seen in my times spent at the track. Stiffer is not always better. Actually we have had to take spring out of a lot of cars that people have got wrong. But in general, there is a ton of variables that is also being missed in this conversation. Valving and tire spring rates are not being considered. (yes, different tires have different spring rates) and Valving, especially low speed, has just as much impact as spring rates. There is a couple ways you can reach the same goal. Really high end suspension systems purposefully get away from over springing or running insane spring rates for a couple reasons, (which needs its own explanation) but that's also why that **** cost so much. haha. Im just chiming in cause I love suspension ****.

Custom/Race Work, Chassis setup and Fabrication. Follow my Racing Shenanigans!!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trew-...8143224?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt-McGirt View Post
    I know I don't race or even have an AE anymore, but ill share what I have seen in my times spent at the track. Stiffer is not always better. Actually we have had to take spring out of a lot of cars that people have got wrong. But in general, there is a ton of variables that is also being missed in this conversation. Valving and tire spring rates are not being considered. (yes, different tires have different spring rates) and Valving, especially low speed, has just as much impact as spring rates. There is a couple ways you can reach the same goal. Really high end suspension systems purposefully get away from over springing or running insane spring rates for a couple reasons, (which needs its own explanation) but that's also why that **** cost so much. haha. Im just chiming in cause I love suspension ****.
    Ha, yes, lots of things missing from the conversation... Starting with an actual conversation. Lots of closed minds and personal attacks though... so that's something...

Apparently, what you know and what I suspect is "irrelevant" here.

I'm guessing really low like 4 or 5 front and 2-4 rear

I've been contemplating 6 and 6 with massive sway bar in the rear and mildly aggressive sway bar in the front.

for now just experimenting on gt6 cause I can't afford to in real life but something tells me the conventional wisdom for heavy springs in the front and lighter in the back isn't as good as everyone thinks.

currently I have 6 and 4 and it's not bad but my coupe had really soft espilars and felt comfy cozy but when I put Godspeed bars on it became magical.

****ing stop pussy footing around I vote 14kg/11kg.

Why are you talking about this?
    Quote Originally Posted by 4age
    "The Miata will get some compliments along with some ?hairdresser? comments and odd looks from the average public, enthusiasts are never really sure if you are a stance guy, a drifter, or a homosexual"
    BUILD THREAD!!!
    http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...-pics-page-5!*

The latest N2 race, Tsuchiya comes back with his TRD N2 hatch. He is surprised to find out that guys are running sub 1 minute Tsukuba lap times. When he left they were in the 1:03 range.

The newer generation of cars use stiffer spring rates than what he had. He kept saying that anything stiffer than what he was running was too much, but then couldn't even break the sub 1 minute barrier. While other guys are running like 57 seconds.

So for Tsukuba at least.. higher spring rate = faster lap time.

Maybe Tsuchia is just old and slow?
    Haha
    Blain was just in Japan and talked to a lot of road race guys, from what he told me 9k front is soft.

Like old dirt McGurt said everything plays a role, if he is in a class that won't allow roll center adjusters or swaybar mods, or certain tire size(stock) then everything is different. And a full out no holds bared track attack car that runs 16x9 wheels and corrected suspension geometry is going to have very different requirements and settings.

6/4 k rates are fun, but form experience they are not as fast as 8/6
    That's my experience, and many others have the same. But you might have a different driving style? And the softer set up May be quicker for you.

Armchair racing, it's lame, go get out there and drive, test different things, try different shocks, different sized tires ect
    You will never know what is better until you try it,
    Most of us have tried the eibach/trd street springs, the trd 6/4, trd 8/6, KYB AGX, tokico hts, koni adjustables, trd green,blue, gas, ect

For fast real roads, jumps, dips, and potholes the best I've felt is eibach/trd street, 2k probably, stock rear shocks and front oil filled stock inserts filled with gear oil, 75/90
    Sorry if I'm going back to the other thread, but I think that's what's going on here anyway

SCCA IT allows lots of mods -- which the car has. Adjustable sway bars... camber plates... any spring rate... coilovers... wheel spacers.. Not sure about RCAs... probably not (too bad). DOT tires for sure... So it's very close to a quick road car rather than a full racer... "Regular podiums" in its class and probably a comfy hoot on the road. I guess where it races (Midwest SCCA), they have frost heaves and bumpy corners that throw stiff cars off. I was very surprised to learn the rates he settled on...

Agree with you Paul on the armchair racing lameness... Just looking for a place to start.
    Last edited by b-rock; 06-01-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulcorolla View Post
    For fast real roads, jumps, dips, and potholes the best I've felt is eibach/trd street, 2k probably, stock rear shocks and front oil filled stock inserts filled with gear oil, 75/90
    Sorry if I'm going back to the other thread, but I think that's what's going on here anyway
    Fully agree with this. Most confidence inspiring setup

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by do-boy View Post
    Fully agree with this. Most confidence inspiring setup
    haha ya, but it's only because you're going so slow at the edge that you feel confident. The edge of what that setup can do is pretty easy to get to. Reaching the edge of a proper setup is scary.
    Tons of fun though. We all had eibachs and sensatracks.

RETIRED

Here are the fastest AE86's in the world. The N2 series in Japan. These guys all use short stroke shocks and very high spring rates combined with big wide slicks, for the fastest possible setup around the track. Some guys are using 14k/12k setups, some are using 10k/12k, but the lowest spring rate you'll see is about 9k/7k.

Have you ever watched any AE86 club videos? Check out these guys setups. There's no way this ITA ae86 could make it around Tsukuba nearly as fast as these guys.

20 minutes in they start to show vehicle specs.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    haha ya, but it's only because you're going so slow at the edge that you feel confident. The edge of what that setup can do is pretty easy to get to. Reaching the edge of a proper setup is scary.
    Tons of fun though. We all had eibachs and sensatracks.
    But we're also talking about a street setup. You never go full retard.

Edit: Paul didn't actually specify street, sorry. He just mentioned ****ty non track condition roads.
    Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I'm surprised he's allowed to run JDM bumpers.

Talking about spring rates in isolation from the rest of the suspension setup is useless. We don;t even know the weight of that car.

Comparing cars setups that are running on different tracks, with different HP levels, different rulebooks, and different rubber... useless.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note: Japan has WAY smoother tracks and roads than we do here in Canada. 14k/12k is unusable on the streets here.
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

I had 10/8 here it was sick. But shells get soft. Way too stuff without a cage in a dumpy 30 year old car.
    BCWORKS