Thread: Need a new daily, advice needed on Toyota SUV's

Need a new daily, advice needed on Toyota SUV's

My current daily is a 91 4runner (aka "the wilderbeast"). It's served me extremely well over the last 4 years and has never broken down or got stuck in snow. I paid $300 for it, did a basic engine rebuild(22re), changed the clutch and brakes so I'd say I have about $1500 into it including original price but not including labour.

Thing is, it's ugly, no air, or cruise, tons of rust and has rear bumper damage from previous owner.

Now the power steering pump is failing, the tires are extremely bald and the entire suspension needs to be replaced. I'm guessing this is going to be about $2000 in parts alone.

You've probably come to the same conclusion I did(but let me know if you think otherwise). It's not worth fixing (unless someone wanted to do a rock crawler project with it)

So I'm on the hunt for a new daily driver, preferably another 4x4 Toyota SUV but with air, tilt, cruise.

My budget is around $5k and I've got a few months to make a purchase.

So far I'm thinking...

97-02 4runner
    89-97 80 series Land Cruiser
    96-97 LX 450(80 series Land Cruiser with all the goodies)

I want to compare the 4runner and 80 series on the below points. Can anyone answer these?

-MPG
    -reliability
    -Difficulty in repairs
    -Difficulty in finding parts
    -on and off road handling and capability
    -Overall cost of maintenance
    -insurance prices
    -Resale value in 5 years

sorry for long post, thanks for answers in advance

ps. hopefully Brian can answer some of these

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/4529504724.html

But in all honesty why not a cheaper landcruiser.. try and get a descent one.. or a hilux

If you're going for that age of vehicle, don't go for resale value. Best bang for buck imo is 4Runner.

You said mpg is your first goal then mentioned 80series cruisers and lexus. If you meant bad mpg then those are a great direction lol. 3.4 is a pretty awesome and reliable motor. And would buy a 3rd gen runner for sure.
    81,84,87, 88 toyota cressida, 84 bj60, 85 bj60, 86 hj60soa, 71 datsun 521 pickup

Like everyone else says, go with the 4runner, cheaper on gas, parts and market value. The landcruisers/ lx's are cool but yea, just more expensive, more space, cool if you have a family or extra money to burn I guess. Personally I found the 97-02 4runners to be ALOT better than the earlier ones as far as comfortability/ luxuries

80 series cruisers haven't forgotten that they were 70k vehicles when new. They expect to be maintained like a 70k vehicle.

Also, while the fuel economy on my 100 isn't great, you'd have to be pretty crazy to daily drive an 80. The 1FZ eats fuel and spits out low amounts of power like it's going out of style.

*i also don't daily drive anything
    Dean L.
    2007 Lexus LX470
    2000 Lexus LS400
    1985 Toyota Celica Supra 1JZ - 1JZ, restored
    1987 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ73

Ok, sounds pretty consistent, 4 Runner. So the 3.4 v6 is the better engine? Seems there's a few limited's on kijiji in my budget, but they look so... girly with all the cladding

I might be buying this tomorrow.

1997, 3.4L, 5spd, 333k km, owned by a country hills toyota mechanic, had been kept in great shape, doesn't sound like it needed anything.

new brakes, timing belt, fluid, front end, set of new winters on oem rims

he's asking $4300
    Last edited by Special K; 06-27-2014 at 09:19 PM. Reason: doh! the ad had the wrong km.. hmm.. might have to rethink

Buddy up here just bought a 97 with 270k with the e locker for 4grand. The black with taco wheels looks sweet. Maybe barter down abit?
    81,84,87, 88 toyota cressida, 84 bj60, 85 bj60, 86 hj60soa, 71 datsun 521 pickup

So Migs, his toyota tech buddy and I went to see this tonight

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

lesson learned, never think of buying a car in the ghetto. Thing was absolutely haggered inside. Add, surprise surprise, didn't have electronic lockers as the seller had told.

The 4R would be alright if it was a grand less. Our friends use their '97 for timber cruising and it's got well over 400 on it, half on rough gravel roads. Regularly serviced and well maintained and they have had no major issues.

So i bought it over the weekend for $3800. Would have liked to get 3500 but whatevs.

Good news is it's in pristine shape. No rust under the fenders, no leaks that i can see and it has factory cruise with the 5spd.

Bad news is it's going to need a clutch before the year is out. Am I right in thinking this will be a $700 repair job at a shop or am I out to lunch? I would do it myself but my garage is full.

The Dark Steed and the wildebeest together for the last time.

There's a buyer for the wildebeest and he's going to chop the body off and make it a rock crawler. To me that is the best possible outcome. That old thing served me well and I've thanked God many times for it. It's only fitting for someone to get more joy out of it instead of sending it to the great wrecking yard in the sky.

O wildebeest, thy knobby wheels and sturdy frame
    Have carried me these 4 years faithfully
    Though you came to me poor and broken,
    I gave you my time and devotion,
    To right the wrong that others didst,
    the neglected clutch, brakes and rust.
    To fix and heal that you could give,
    a few more years of travel lived

Now the time has come,
    to trade you for a newer run.
    One that won't scare a girl,
    one that will make it up a hill.
    The trips we've taken to bc,
    all of which without ac,
    have been fun, their memories always will stay with me.
    Your 4 wheeling prowess did impress,
    even if only I was there to see

Many winters, you carried me,
    to my destination faithful and worry free
    At first I didn't trust the sounds you bade,
    now I see they were just the way you were made
    Others thought you would explode,
    but you'd go forever if you were told

The time has come to say goodbye,
    but you'll escape the great wrecking yard in the sky
    Fore you'll be transformed, magnificently
    Into a brute and brawny dune, buggy