Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do it for the love

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Do it for the love

Finally was able to get the two corollas towed home. A quick count of all my rollas make this number 9 and 10.

Long have I dreamt of building my version of the best all around corolla. Then I stumbled upon these cars and the stars aligned. I acquired a 82 parts car and a 83 corolla.

The 82 is undergoing a full strip then off to crush it will go because I have 8 vehicles in my driveway and feel that only 7 is way more manageable

The 83 ae71 lived it's life as an automatic 4ac car. Manual rack, minimal rust should make a very clean host for the beams 3sge. After searching thru the car briefly I've found 4 areas that require rust repair. 3 have allready been chopped out. And the 4th is a small area of softness at the rr shock mount (very small but will be repaired before drove.) I plan on doing the rust repair and sending it for a respray. I really dig the colour it's a blueish silver, and reminds me of a mixture of the 86 and my te wagon.

Everything for my ae86 will in time find its way to to the ae71 (see;wiring harness, dash, fuel system, suspension)

Today I will take some pictures to post and shared we all know everyone's only here for photos
    OldSkoolCustoms

More old toyotas then common sense

instead of crushing it - give it away for beer!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4age
    "The Miata will get some compliments along with some ?hairdresser? comments and odd looks from the average public, enthusiasts are never really sure if you are a stance guy, a drifter, or a homosexual"
    BUILD THREAD!!!
    http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...-pics-page-5!*

You don't know my style cars rusty has a pending vi. But has good parts. Strip it naked and make pop cans!
    OldSkoolCustoms

Here's the two on there way home. The one without the front suspension is the 82 parts donor. And has already left us for the crusher. Quickest turnaround I've had >24hrs. My friend a I stripped everything that was good from it. It had very clean door cards and side panels, visors. I know someone is going to get angry when they read this but I left the 5spd pedal assembly in it. Because to be honest they look like a pain in the ass to remove compared to the ae

Tommorow I plan on beginning work on the ae71. Removing the 3tc crossmember and reinstalling the 4ac manual rack. Then using the tiered ends and adjuster sleeves from the old looped power rack from the 86.. I will be using the 240sx lca's, coilovers, brakes. And 86 camber plates.

If it's not to hot out I may get to removing the dash and test fitting the 86 dash.
    OldSkoolCustoms

Odometer reads 17xxxxkm the photo of the cut out rust is the same on the other side. Small considering my previous outings.
    OldSkoolCustoms

**** you. Its been like 2 years and I still cant seem to get my hands on a te72 clutch pedal

Quote Originally Posted by nolanator View Post
    **** you. Its been like 2 years and I still cant seem to get my hands on a te72 clutch pedal
    Called it. Have you ever looked at removing one? I still had the dash pad in the car because it was so cracked it wasn't worth unbolting. And the carpet was pretty gross. All it left with was dare doors,shocks,rearend,and dash pad/heater core ducting. No love for anything else.
    OldSkoolCustoms

I woulda just gone Thor on the thing and smashed all the dash stuff outta the way

Just go buy a wildwood pedal and save the hassle.

Today I removed the 3tc crossmember and front suspension to install into my te31 then spent some time washing the empty engine bay. There's so little,rust on this thing that I've seen it's ridiculous. There appears to have been a nasty coolant line blow and nastier coolant everywhere so there was tons of rusty coloured paint but as soon as I washed it. It cleared up. I plan to plug away at this car more the. I ever have with toys before. Because I want it to be done "right" to my standards. So test fitting the beams over and over and I plan to finally practice the whole measure twice cut once idea.

This weekend I am going to enlist some help to remove the fuel system completely. And test fit the tank. (I've heard some have filler neck issues) cross that bridge when I encounter it. Hope to reinstall the 4ac crossmember with the manual rack and my subframe spacers. Install the 240 suspension and get it rolling around again so I can have it facing my shop for engine test fitting. Eeeek the joys and excitement!
    OldSkoolCustoms

Installed my ae71 manual rack crossmember, 240sx coilovers,lca's, and knuckle. "Brakes need a rebuild". Currently no rack sitting in there just put it down to see where I'm at.

It seems that with the fenders sitting stock no roll, and the coilover collar all the way up I can barely tuck the smallest 13" tire I have.165/65/13 my plan was to run a moderate 14" 175/65 185/60 type thing. I'm going to attempt,to pull/roll the smashed fender and see if I get any closer to where I want to be. 13"s are just going to put the front end to low and risk the beams oil pan. If all else,fails I will run my fenders spaced at the bottom again, but I'm trying to avoid hacking up to many things seeing as it's such a clean shell. Makes me sort of wish I still had my 4age so I could just run it low and not give a ****

OldSkoolCustoms

what are the wheel specs on those 13's?

13x7 2.5" backspace.

So I kinda derped out when I out the stuff together for a mock up. After giving my head a shake. I fixed it and was able to raise the car more (tightened top shock bolt to much). Now it "fits" a 14" w/ 175/65 at max camber on my t3 plates.

If the fenders were rolled it would work better. But I haven't attached steering linkage yet, so rolling is quite a task. And I. Not sure I want to attempt,to roll my "good" fenders
    Last edited by oldskoolcool; 07-07-2014 at 03:26 PM.
    OldSkoolCustoms

Those door handles are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by widebodystarlet View Post
    Those door handles are awesome!
    It's only the drivers side sadly. But still it's very cool. I can't stop looking at it sitting on the 14s. I hope the oilpan of the beams is going to be high enough off the ground. I'm going to smash out the damaged fender then roll it, and do the same to the less good passenger fender, see how much I can pull out safely on the old girls. Before I go attempting it on a mint rf fender and my only good lf. I am hoping to pull them enough so that I can pull out some negative camber. Sure camber looks cool. But handles like **** on a wet track.
    OldSkoolCustoms

Haven't done much work over summer. All the wiring is removed, dash is removed. The motor and trans are test fitted and sitting on the mounts. Unfortunately the "bolt in kit" doesn't really line up well, the trans crossmember is probably 4 inches to far back and the rubber motor mount broke when installing. Horray.

So I recently paid off my debt, then came into some money today on top of it. So I'm going to get the wiring harness done and gather together the intake pieces I require. Hopefully this money will at least get it running in the car and I ca. Always save for a driveshaft and other things. Exciting things lots of work is still needed. I need brakes for the celica supra rear, and to pay warren to do the welding on it. The more I think about it the more I realize is left to do. **** project cars take a lot of time and money. This is the most I've done when building a car so far. I always heard it's the little things at add up, do they ever.
    OldSkoolCustoms

I love how aggressive the front is with s13 steering.

Lots done since I last updated this.

Beams harness is converted to plug and play with 4age Gts wiring.
    Ae71 harness is all removed, ae86 trunk/cabin harness installed, ae71 taillights are wired into ae86 loom
    Fuel tank is in with walbro 255lph
    Ma47 rear diff installed with supra LSD. Requires springs and shocks.
    Front s13 brakes upgraded,to drilled and slotted rotors, rebuilt calipers and bridges, removed backing plates and abs magnet
    Rebuilt rear brake calipers (left one may leak time will tell)
    More trimming of the engi?e webbing. It's real close to another test fit. The largest hurdle is weather or not. I do in fact need to cut the trans tunnel or not. I'm trying to avoid it if I can, but if I am forced to cut the tunnel I will be removing the crossmember spacers.
    I was able to remove the automatic brake pedal from the ae71 bracket and replace it with the manual pedal from my 86
    And I have had no luck finding proper manual pedals for the ae71 so I decided I needed to make the 8) pedal fit, with a small cut of the brakcet,I am able to get it in the firewall, it will need a weld to reenforce it but that's simple enough. So it's halfway to having proper Manual pedals.
    OldSkoolCustoms

If there's one thing I've learned from the first two thirds of the MC Hammer Biography, it's that money never runs out.

borrowed a friends wheel for a test fit, 15x8 et0 sit perfect on the ma47 rear end

i will try and get some pictures of the front end with everything complete its starting to look like a real car again slowly very slowly..
    OldSkoolCustoms

Today I pulled the gearset out, sealed it up and reassembled the diff, looks like I will be changing the lower links out, the 86 lower 4 link arms have a bracing in one end, it won't fit in the diff side,cit,fits in the frame side but seems to be binding up some. Oh well two steps forward one step back, the cost of doing things properly I guess.

Pushed wiring from the trunk to the front, the chassis looms the wiring differently on the 86 vs the 83 and as a result I was left staring at my front loom wondering just how much I can remove, seeing as I won't have flip lights so I won't require the plugs for the motors, the retractor relay ect. I think I will print a wiring schematic and remove the excess junk from the loom. The dash harness also has areas I can trim out and clean up. Once the dash harness is loomed correctly I will begin making tabs for the mounting of the 86 dash.
    seats and carpet need to be removed for the trans tunnel shenanigans. The list goes on forever I feel.

I Feel stupid for installing my brake rotors, even with leaving the oils on then from factory there is some rust after only a few days, nothing a skim on the lathe won't cure.
    OldSkoolCustoms