Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do it for the love

Quote Originally Posted by battleaxe View Post
    air care is gone on the mainland now as well
    True, kinda sad used to buy air care failures and sell em over here after a bit of work
    OldSkoolCustoms

More old toyotas then common sense

I picked up my new pickup on the weekend, doc will be spendings a bit of time performing general maintenance on it over the next few weeks. I was able to sell the 89 cavailer my parents gave me. 750$ i tried to give my dad the money, he said half when we spoke on he phone. But my dads a like minded car person so when we met up for coffee he insisted I keep the cash for the Corolla! (My dads awesome)

So a call has been made to a lifelong friend of mine whos a ticketed welder and owns a Hotrod shop with his dad. (Doers Hotrod hosptial in Horne lake) Sometime within the next 2 weeks he will stop by and measure things then return to repair
    The task list for james is, raise trans tunnel, repair some strut tower rust, patch floorpan, and 3 small exterior patches. Down the road I will also have james build me a down pipe because my engine came without one.
    OldSkoolCustoms

Sweeeet

Last edited by oldskoolcool; 02-04-2015 at 06:43 AM.
    OldSkoolCustoms

Here's my new truck. No trailer of yet to show.
    1995 k1500 4x4
    6.5 turbo diesel/automatic trans/3.73 posi rear Power windows, power locks, heated rear glass
    3-4" downpipe, 4" exhaust cat removed New injection pump, new pmd with relocation kit. New starter , new starter cable, rebuilt rear diff with new bearing and proper shims (had cutup pop cans for shims apparently, nighthawk low beams (brighter then normal high beams) came wired for a trailer with a brake booster also

Came with a new fuel filter to install, and I picked up new glowplugs for it as well. It needs parkbrake cables, and an alignment.

I would like to keep this truck for a long time so I have a few things I plan to do over time. Including a exhaust brake, #9 resistor inside the pmd (adds fuel) and possibly upgrade the waterpump and air intake, both are very restrictive on these engines. I'm not looking to be a cummins douche rolling coal everywhere. just have ample,power to pull a loaded truck and trailer.
    OldSkoolCustoms

Stoked to keep seeing steps forwards Jarrod. This year will be rad.
    BCWORKS

I really do hope I have it done by my birthday (July 23rd) I would like to tour it to FD this year. But ifmif doesn't happen I have 2 back up plans equally as cool. The faster I finish this car the faster I can begin to restore the crown.

On a side note whats a good shock to run in the rear. I'm going to be trying out some "interesting" rear springs and would like nice shocks. The springs are from a new Dodge Ram with rear coil springs. I'm planni on having a spring shop I deal with regulalry to it the spring to my desired height and then flatten where it was cut so it sits properly on the perch. I tested the diameters and there the same
    OldSkoolCustoms

Went to western and watched drifting for the day, gave me a itch worse then a lady of the night gives an unsuspecting john.
    Gotta double speed my investing I guess.

Welder cam by and took a look at the state of my rust quoted me less then I expected to spend so that's perfect and frees up funding for a driveshaft., brake,lines, park cables and coolant setup, then it's just hood pins fluids and lots of puttering on electrical
    OldSkoolCustoms

The late model 6.5's came with better stuff, I can't remember anymore but I think the crossover pipe, turbo, manifolds, and a few other things are bolt on upgrades for the older 6.5's. We worked on a friends 6.5 back in the day, basically doubled the boost and added fuel, opened the exhaust. They get killer mileage.

Lol @ Cummins douche. Seriously, my Cummins will not make black smoke, other than a tiny puff on start-up...although the guys with tuners who make smoke certainly are tools. But the 6.5 is alright if you maintain it and don't try 1/4 mile races

Yes I was referring to the tuner chip trucks, you know the white sunglasses, 37s on 22" rims, gram of blow on the dash type dudes.

Anyways works stupid slow so I've been home a lot lately. My welder friend has been very busy, he contracts out to a mill in port and they had a failure so my cars just sitting there waiting.

I picked up a few more fuel rail pieces. And assembled the regulator yesterday. Then decided to order different pieces to have my pressure guage where I want it. I'm to picky with stupid little things this car will never be finished. I still need to setup a fuel filter as well still and delete my evap canister and line

Installed ny battery kill switch for when I relocate the battery to the trunk. After I started drilling I decided I probably should have check what different racing sactions ask for but oh well I'm happy with its location.
    Last edited by oldskoolcool; 03-17-2015 at 09:49 AM.
    OldSkoolCustoms

Lookin gooooood!
    If there's one thing I've learned from the first two thirds of the MC Hammer Biography, it's that money never runs out.

With installing the battery in the trunk I've read a few places that they prefer it to be isolated from the cab of the vehicle.
    This is rough copy for a rear seat delete plate.

OldSkoolCustoms

If your car will be outside in the rain while you finish it up I would take the battery kill switch off and keep it somewhere dry.
    They tend to get wet inside and corrode, causing poor charging and hard starting from the resistance.

Lol make a little fighter jet style switch cover!

Quote Originally Posted by paulcorolla View Post
    If your car will be outside in the rain while you finish it up I would take the battery kill switch off and keep it somewhere dry.
    They tend to get wet inside and corrode, causing poor charging and hard starting from the resistance.
    Bahh, as with everything it gets installed then removed haha. I think that I will soak it with wire dryer and try my luck.
    OldSkoolCustoms

Silicone lube as a dielectric grease. Instant temporary waterproof!

So long for now my precious

Towed the shell to Dores Hotrod Hospital in Horne Lake. James got really busy so the decision was made to have the car brought to him so he can putter away the task list.
    James' Dad Bob took a quick liking to my little tin can as he put it. And Is pushing me to have the door stress cracks repaired, spray the whole car, and also cage it. Money's a problem as I'm trying to focus on just getting it driving right now. But he seemed less interested in my finances and more interested in helping a 2nd generation "racer" get going. (Bob Dore and my dad have been circle track friends for 40+ years my parents own bobs old house haha)

When the car comes home from the hospital, the plan is to refit everything, and build a trans crossmember. Then I need to tow it back to james to build me a custom downpipe/ possibly a one off exhaust manifold as well. There is a lot more to do then just this. But taxes just arrived, and the governments handing out up to 4000$ apprentice loans for racecars sooo who knows

I ordered some 14x7 3" bs Bassett rims for now for the rear. I may wind up buying 4 more (2x 14x7 4" bs 2x 14x8 4" bs)so the car can have matching fronts and drift spares. There cheap enough.
    OldSkoolCustoms

Cage is smart. These things get real soft fast. My white car needs it.
    BCWORKS

I'm afraid of how long it will take to resemble your car. Go Hard Or Go Home, and whatnot..

No word on progress from The Hotrod hospital, suspense is killing me. And while in school I have 3 day weekends to "study" so I have some spare time to putter away on it.
    OldSkoolCustoms