Thread: ****box Experimental.

****box Experimental.

Intro:

For a while now, my buddy and I have been searching for a ****box Toyota to try out different parts we're making for the 22R/E. Our standards were pretty low. It needed to be under $500, a manual transmission, have a title, and have a frame with no wholes in it. We finally found something that looked like a good candidate. $400, clear title, has been sitting in a tobacco house since '05, located "just north of town." "Just north of town" became an hour and a half drive up into the sticks, aka Tennessee, aka shine country, aka flat tire = eaten by coyotes, aka "you got a pretty mouth, boy." A little haggle haggle bought us a $300 truck and a $40 tow to our employee's house ~30 miles away (I later ended up paying $100 to get the truck back to my shop, deal wasn't as good in the end).

The idea of this build is to test an idea for an everyman turbo set up for the 85.5 22RE. Currently, we rebuild stock 22R long blocks. There's one big problem with these engines, they're sackless piles. Half the folks we do engines for are trail riding or have 35" tires that a stock 22R simply doesn't want to move around (especially with a carb that hasn't been tuned in 5 years and has gas washed all the cylinders to death). The main goal of the build will be to create a fast/fun boosted 22R with a stock long block, (most of) the stock wiring harness, and on an accessible DIY-er budget.

Build End Game:

- Create a plug and play ECU and MAF with wiring harness adapters.
    - Offer a turbo manifold that doesn't cost all the $$$.
    - Adapt or create budget minded ignition system, again plug and play.
    - Build a better oil pan.
    - Test new camshaft grinds.
    - Test strength of stock transmission. Maybe replace with something else mid-build if we blow up our 1-gazzilion mile gearbox.
    - Improve suspension and brakes.
    - Document and write detailed instructions for all of the above.

Pictures:

At our employee's house in the sticks just south of The Sticks. Besides removing all the old moldy carpet, I don't think I'll do much to the looks of the truck. The truck has some kind of to package. It used to have a 5th wheel, has a brake controller, and supposedly has 4.82 rear gears (yeah, I'll believe that when I see it). Truck came stock with cruise control and AC, but no power steering. Currently, I need to ditch the early engine sitting in the bed and probably will ditch the iron 4 speed as well.

Next installment: The Strip Search.

Hug your block (?), ya'll.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3382.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	235.6 KB 
ID:	13446   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3383.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	235.8 KB 
ID:	13447   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3384.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	232.7 KB 
ID:	13448   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3385.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	13449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3386.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	13450  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3388.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	244.3 KB 
ID:	13451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3389.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	240.2 KB 
ID:	13452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3390.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	239.8 KB 
ID:	13453  
    Last edited by Roughandready; 07-26-2014 at 05:36 PM.

A truck! F'n A.
    $28 Bronze T50 shifter bushings HERE

Oh god that shag carpet is the worst.
    '80 MX32 sedan |'83 AE71 wagon |'84 AE86 hatch
    '85 AE86 coupe |'86 AE86 hatch |'86 AE86 coupe
    '88 MR2 S/C |'86 S12 hatch |'88 Silvia K's
    '91 Z30 Soarer '92 JZS147 Aristo |'92 S13 coupe
    '93 R33 Skyline |'98 S14 kouki

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Is dyno like 200 for the hp if mustang shifts but 300 if corolla shifts?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon G View Post
    Oh god that shag carpet is the worst.
    The dust that comes off of it burns the eyes and lungs like mustard gas. Interior is mint underneath ... or will be once I figure out how to remove the old glue. Dash is crack free and no rot on the door cards.

I say swap in the engine from that Toro. It'll eat a stock 22R in the 1/4 mile.

This build looks like it will be exciting, spinning 33's with my 22r in anything other than 4lo is brutal in my 81 4x4

Its tough to make off roaders happy with a turbo motor. Gotta have that off idle power. My yard contains a Celica with a 22rte and ct26@10psi on hacked up RE electronics. It's pretty dumb, lots of lag and not much power. So don't try that.

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

Quote Originally Posted by Cbergerud View Post
    Its tough to make off roaders happy with a turbo motor. Gotta have that off idle power. My yard contains a Celica with a 22rte and ct26@10psi on hacked up RE electronics. It's pretty dumb, lots of lag and not much power. So don't try that.
    Where does it spool up with the CT26? I don't have much knowledge on the Toyota turbos, I'd have to read up. I was planning to use a Mitsubishi 13c off of a Volvo 740. Those are pretty much insta-spool on a 2.3 SOHC Volvo. I think it's a .41 A/R. We'll see, the 22R doesn't exactly have a quick rev up.

I don't have much seat time in the car, just one drift event in the rain. I'd say it doesn't hit 10psi until 3k under steady load, but for a 22re that's pretty high. When I mean lag, I mean lag, not just where it kicks in. Takes a while to spin up. It may not be the turbo though. My recommendation is not to avoid the ct26 so much as not to try and run an RE ecu haha

I found this:

Designation: Toyota CT-26
    Source of Turbo: JDM 7M-GTE
    Rated Flow Capacity: 437 cfm (33 lb/min)
    Compressor A/R Ratio: 0.70 a/r
    Exhaust A/R Ratio: 0.50 a/r
    Compressor Trim: 40- trim
    Bearing Type: Full-Floating Bearing

I should really know more about turbos, I keep reading theory and then forgetting what it means.
    Last edited by Cbergerud; 07-27-2014 at 11:31 AM.

1970 KE17 Project
    1969 KE10 Slider

3k is really high. I'm hoping that between the new cam and the small hairdryer, we can start making power around 1500 and stay pretty flat through the rev range. I'll be using Megasquirt and some kind of timing control that I haven't decided on yet. First big hurdle is going to be an exhaust manifold. I keep hearing bad things about the stock manifolds cracking, leaking, being welded, and cracking again. Seems to me that half the issue is every guy is having Uncle Cletus weld the manifold for a six pack and he's 4 beers in by the time he start laying down boogers.

I took apart the engine in the bed today. I snapped a bunch of pictures, but left my camera at the shop. Short version of a longish story: the core isn't usable as I was hoping. The thrust washers were laying in the oil pan. One rod bearing disintegrated. The block and one of the main caps is chewed the **** up from the lack of thrust washer. Ugh.

Cbergerud: I'd like to add that I read through your drift car project thread. Love the work, love the car. Good j-o-b.

You're probably going to get sars from stripping that old carpet out. I would wear a gas mask.
    But really though, lol, probably all sorts of old mold in there.

RETIRED

^No kidding. I've already got a weird rash on my arms from the carpet riveted to the bed.

cool, i've got a 91 runner with a 22re. always thought a turbo would be great to get the thing moving. Are you planning to sell plug and play kits in the end?

You can make an RE fast, but it wont be cheap and reliable. Honestly, the most efficient way to make it better is to replace it with something like a 4.3; otherwise you'll be constantly farting around trying to make a boat anchor reliable and fast. If your goal is to provide a go-fast option to people with no money, you're aiming for the wrong market and you'll fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    cool, i've got a 91 runner with a 22re. always thought a turbo would be great to get the thing moving. Are you planning to sell plug and play kits in the end?
    That's the idea. Plug and play would be for our compression/turbo/boost/etc. If you changed anything in the combination, tuning would be needed.

Meanwhile.......

Here's all the pictures from the disassembly of the truck's original engine. The head looked okay at first glance. It didn't have half an inch of carbon to sandblast off like some of the engines we get in. Second glance revealed quite a lot of liquified bearing.

There was about ten of these in the bed of the truck. I'm guessing that it didn't fix anything.

More bearing in the oil pan.

And what's that in the back of the pan?

Great.

Super. Crank and block are chewed up just as well. Yesterday, I was thinking that I'd just scrap the block. I've thought about it, and I'm going to give a shot to machining the center cap, block, and crank to accept an 85.5+ thrust washer, which is thicker. Hopefully the core is salvageable and not a total loss. One rod is unusable, which really sucks. We're running out of good 22R rods in the shop.

22R junk is really starting to pile up in the front of the shop. I've decided to rent the bay next door to mine and devote it to the truck.

I also began prepping the new block for the truck today.

Tomorrow, more stripping. Gross carpet, gross seat, gross engine bay.

Ugh. Found more rust and silverfish. **** silverfish.