Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: There's a first for everything...

There's a first for everything...

...and this thread will document my first car, first AE86, and maybe some drifing in there if I can manage it.

I figured I could just skip my introduction post and go right into my build and compile everything into something that’d be easier to track, as my progress will be slow and my car will be slow so don’t expect many things to happen at once. A bit of a disclaimer, I’m gonna go into detail for the most basic ****, I’m a noob at this, I don’t know what I’m doing, so this is more of a “help the newbie” build thread. So if you don’t want anything to do with this I understand, but for those of you that want to help I would appreciate if you can give me input and suggestions on what I’m doing/what I should be doing.

So here we go…

I’m Chris, recently turned 17yo HS (upcoming) senior in Calgary funding my dream with a part-time at a grocery store, exciting eh? I wasn’t always interested in old school Toyotas or 86s to begin with, but I had a little influence from my family. My uncle has been running with AE86s for quite some time now, before I could even remember he always had at least one 86 that couldn’t move itself, and now in the present this is still true. In the start of 2014, he had two in his garage, one SR5 shell ready for a GTS conversion, and another SR5 with a 20v Blacktop. My uncle ended up selling the SR5 20v to my older brother and I was planning on buying the other when an 86 I wanted popped up on Kijiji, and this is where my 86 came into existence (still nearly double my age however).

Not sure if any of you know the guy, but I bought it from Max B. out in Grande Prairie, it was actually two for sale that me and my uncle split on based on what they were valued. He got a grey GTS that was running, with a little over 500k’s on the clock and a rebuilt top end, though it was veryyyy rusted out so he decided to use it as a donor for his rustless SR5 shell. I got the red GTSR5 that is in need of some work but has a bunch of cool things to it (more on that later), so we loaded the GTSR5 onto my uncles Tacoma and set off for home. Bundled along with the two 86s was a spare 3Rib 16v that we brought to his place. So 7hrs to Grande Prairie, 7hrs back with the GTSR5 on the flatbed and the GTS driving alongside, probably the best day of my life, minus the 14+ hrs of driving time. I wish I could say I got started on it right away but I didn’t, finals were coming so my Asian instincts kicked in for the last month and a half of school and then finally summer. I was super excited and did as much research as I could after school ended and was getting ready to put everything together, but then I got hit with a surprise vacation (not complaining). I got to see a few 86s in the states and in the Vancouver/Victoria area. I ended up leaving ON 86day and missed the Vancouver meet so I was kinda sad about that but happy I could start on my car. So within that span of 3+ months the car sat there in the car port of my place, untouched.

Also, somewhere in that timespan I met Migs/Chris and his 86 as well as found my car in an older build thread on DK, by the user coldstar64, build thread here. The idea that it was once turbo’d excites and terrifies me at the same time, but it was nice to see some of the history of the car.

So the current mods that are done to the car are:
    • Front custom coils, unknown rear shocks and cut GTS rear springs
    • T3 Camber Plate and top hats
    • T3 NCRCAs
    • Megan motor and trans mounts
    • Aftermarket exhuast header (unknown)
    • T3 Adjustable cam gears
    • Aftermarket cams(?)(unknown) (ID'd as 261 Intake, 268 Exhuast, Colt Cams)
    • Port and polished head
    • Welded diff (sadly still sr5 rear end…)
    • Catless welded exhuast with Magnaflow muffler
    • One Sparco seat, woo! (heavily damaged, gonna duct tape the rips)
    • Set of Celica Supra

So here is the current situation of the car, it’s rolling, but motorless. The PO took out the motor to do some work on it so now I'm just completing everything/doing more. Now in the list below you may see some easy jobs that may feel simple to you but if you have any tips at all to help me out with it I’d glady take them.

So my plans for the car in no particular order:

Mechanical
    • rebuild distributor (done)
    • rebuild starter/alt (done)
    • complete engine gaskets (done)
    • install new clutch and refinished flywheel (done)
    • get the motor in and running (done)
    • new exhaust, something quiet or near oem (sorta done)

Suspension & Brakes
    • prothane urethane bushings kit (front done)
    • new rear springs (done), possibly shocks as well
    • complete brake service (1/2 done)

Cosmetic
    • different hood (done)
    • changing the hacked up front bumper (done)
    • removing the rust to the best of my ability
    • JDM BUMPEEERRSSSS... soon.
    • two-tone!?

Also, I guess I should say that this is a BC car, and I gotta pass Alberta's OOP inspection before it can see any road, if any of you Alberta guy's that have gone through this are out there, let me know of anything that'll effect my chances of passing. Only issue I can think of is the exhaust.

Alright now time for pictures:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eV7ISby.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	13620
    Day one, or two... I just went with the earliest picture I could find that I took.

Name:	jwWpbY5.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	13596
    Its a mess, but not nearly as dirty as when I first got it. Sprayed it a bit with degreaser and water.

Name:	wDmnWGQ.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	13600Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KoDAWeq.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	13601
    Can anybody ID this header?

Name:	8oZtGWm.jpg 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	13602
    Here she is, so far I just cleaned it up a bit, plan on repolishing everything tho.

Name:	j3ls4uP.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	13604

Name:	AQ84I58.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	13605
    T3 Adjustable Cam Gears, tbh I have no clue how to adjust them well so I hope they already sit where they should be...

Name:	CnftD3J.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	13608Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82VCOIJ.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	13609
    Idk who's into this **** but its no longer, I plasti-dipped it black again and cleaned the interior inside out.

Name:	d8YVdiE.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	13607
    Came with a little hood vent where the turbo previously sat... I want a new hood, anyone wanna trade? (done)

Name:	z07dG6f.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	13610Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nikL3kU.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	13611Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn45yH4.jpg 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	13612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NC9fSBq.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	13613
    So the fenders are rusting, fenders were rolled and I guess it ended up exposing metal that wasn't covered by PO. Any ideas on how I should approach this?

Name:	C1zqkFS.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	13614Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zrjq5W3.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	13615
    Oh noes! Again, any ideas?

Name:	RvHDByC.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	13616
    Driver side pinch welds...

Name:	eS949H9.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	13617
    Passenger side is better I guess
    Last edited by ChrisTangoJuice; 04-23-2015 at 08:17 PM.

So that's really all I gotta say at the moment, I guess I should end by not asking more questions so heres some photos I took today at Calgarys Illmotions Show and Shine

Name:	Yeevujl.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	13629Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JqEWff6.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	13630Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xPTiuEH.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	13631Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KfXTnRI.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	13632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ByNP7wf.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	13634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WQTUO5R.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	13635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8PnzPG9.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	13636

and two 86's that got left out of it... matte green one is my brothers, 20V BT swapped.

Name:	T7meTNn.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	13633
    Last edited by ChrisTangoJuice; 12-28-2014 at 10:45 PM.

welcome Chris, that interior tho...

That interior was quite the job lol.
    Looks like you have a lot a head of you good luck dude!

Holy that car sure has traveled! It went through atleast 2 locals that I know of after it was bought from mike (coldstar). Welcome to the forums! Corollas are a addiction.

welcome to DK bud! looking forward to seeing where this project takes you, enjoy the journey!

Who's white coupe with cby flairs is that? anyone know?
    Mat 83 GTS Hatch 87 GTSR5 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post
    If only I put the same amount of effort into my schooling as I do my car. Education is important, but racecar is importanter.
    Stuff I'm Selling
    IG Mattyballz86

I've got a red sparco sprint fs if you want another one. Faded, but no big rips.

RETIRED

Quote Originally Posted by projectae86 View Post
    Who's white coupe with cby flairs is that? anyone know?
    It belongs to Philip Tan. Built by Garage Box in Calgary

http://illmotion.com/im-feature-phil...la-ae86-coupe/

http://garageboxauto.com

Does it still belong to Philip? It was sold on kijiji a while back.
    1989 MX83 - Sold
    1985 AE86 Coupe - Sold
    1985 MX73 - Sold
    1984 AE86 Hatch - Project Car

at first I was reading and saw highschool.... then envisioned paulc.v2 haha

looking like your on the right track! welcome
    80's steeeeez/ High Rolla Motorsports
    1981 TE72 Ministock(the monty-rolla, Built 3tc, big cam, custom suspension ), 1982 TE72 2 door(11:1 3tc, shadbolt cam, fully balanced), 86 300zx Turbo

Wow, Mikes old car. Nuts.
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

This Mike guy still around here?
    I wanna try to find the guy who painted the interior, just for ****s and giggles.

Sadly I didn't do the best job at dipping it, and I don't feel like doing it all over again, especially with dip going for $20 a can. I ended up getting a deal off someone and bought 3 for $40 so I didn't waste too much money, worth a shot. So that means starting now I'm in search of some black interior trims, as well as hatch interior pieces since it never came with any.

But yeah thanks for all the welcomes guys! I've been lurking for a while just looking at stuff I could buy but now that things are getting started I'll be posting as much as possible. I think I plan on bringing it to my schools shop to drop the engine in when school starts again, so for the meantime I'll probably just do small jobs, parts searching, and hopefully patch up some of this rust.

JungleMatic: PM me details!
    Last edited by ChrisTangoJuice; 08-18-2014 at 05:18 PM.

The white coupe, Phil still owns. I highly doubt he'll ever sell it. Ironically enough, that's my Black Hatch beside it!

Ray
    AE86 | Tacoma X-Runner
    4AGE 20V | 1GR-FE

Oh, and did you dip those door panels as well?

Ray
    AE86 | Tacoma X-Runner
    4AGE 20V | 1GR-FE

Quote Originally Posted by Drifting86 View Post
    Oh, and did you dip those door panels as well?

Ray
    Nope, only things I dipped were the painted pieces. Yeah I walked by your car at least 3 or 4 times, probably have some engine shots too haha. Every time I went by I didn't see you or anyone who I might've thought was the owner so I just kept walking...

Thought I'd give a one month update.

As of Sept/5/14 the car's been at my school's garage where I plan on finishing it up for the upcoming spring. Might winter drive it but I don't have enough confidence in my manual driving skills, let alone with a welded diff and in winter...

Tbh I didn't get much done, have a bunch of parts I'm going to order soon (was compiling a big list so I can save on shipping) so hopefully more gets done. So far I've just been checking up on things, crankshaft main bearings and connecting rod bearings are shot, and upon inspection of the crankshaft journals I'm gonna need to do some polishing on them as well. I'm gonna bring in my 7-rib engine and probably end up just rebuilding parts on that one instead of a 3-rib, don't know a whole lot on the 7-rib fwd to rwd conversion but from what I was told it was already completed. Disassembled the alt and the bearings on that are shot as well, so alt rebuild and starter contact replacement soon to come.

It's new home:

Name:	AE86front (1) (Custom).jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	13702Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9160283 (Custom).JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	13703

Here's my WTB thread, figured if I posted it here I might get more attention.
    http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...J-s-WTB-Thread

So, QOTD: I have access to a sand blaster, is it safe to sand blast everything? By everything I mean the more delicate parts like the intake manifold, valve covers, oil pan, pulleys etc...? I've heard some mixed opinions on valve covers as sometimes the sand grits can get on the inside of them and eventually end up in your oil if not cleaned well enough. I've already started on solid metal pieces like mounts and brackets.

tommy is offline Redneck engineer/machinist
    Welcome here! You sound pretty mature, you have a plan and it's not including unicorns, good change from the usual 16ish owner (thumbsup)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTangoJuice View Post
    So, QOTD: I have access to a sand blaster, is it safe to sand blast everything? By everything I mean the more delicate parts like the intake manifold, valve covers, oil pan, pulleys etc...? I've heard some mixed opinions on valve covers as sometimes the sand grits can get on the inside of them and eventually end up in your oil if not cleaned well enough. I've already started on solid metal pieces like mounts and brackets.
    Just don't blast the inside only the outside. Shouldn't have any rust inside anyway and if it's dirty, use some gunk or nastier cleaner to get rid of it.
    TE31 1977 - 2T-B (traded)
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)
    AE95 1990 - 4A-GZE daily driven wagon...

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Welcome here! You sound pretty mature, you have a plan and it's not including unicorns, good change from the usual 16ish owner (thumbsup)
    ... Just don't blast the inside only the outside. Shouldn't have any rust inside anyway and if it's dirty, use some gunk or nastier cleaner to get rid of it.
    Thanks! I haven't started sand blasting the oil pan yet but will be done soon.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________

Wow I can't believe it's been a whole month since my last post and I barely have anything to show for it... I keep forgetting to take pictures, usually because I get lazy and don't wanna touch my phone after my hands are all dirty.

Got my complete engine gasket kit for my car as well as some other smaller pieces (SO to b-rock for the bronze shifter bushing, can't wait to use it!). Dizzy rebuild has be done with the k-box kit, bearings/brushes on alt and contacts on the starter with Toyota OEM parts.
    Brought the 7-rib (sadly not smallport...) to school and as of now, the engine is completely stripped down to the block (w/ crank/pistons still in). I varsol'd the engine and it's squeaky clean now. The rod and crank main bearings are much better on it so I'll be using the bottom end of the 7-rib and the top end of the 3-rib.
    So the engine mod's I've scavenged together is now as follows:
    • Port and polished head (from 3-rib)
    • T3 adjustable cam gears (from 3-rib)
    • Colts Cams! (from 3-rib) There was some engravings on the front of the cams labeling what they were, 261 intake and 268 exhaust. So far from what I found googling this combination of cams is that they are Colt Cams. I'll be posting more pics in a few days so if someone can help identify if the intakes are tri-flow or not would be great!
    • HKS timing belt, (from 7-rib) so cool and purple! I honestly don't know what benefit it would have for me but I'll be using it anyways because why not... unless one of you guys got something of use for me to trade for it. Looks somewhat worn, either the purple is fading (Would this mean its fake or just used?! doesn't look as cool as the pictures) or the belt is stretched which would mean I'd have to go out and buy a not so cool and purple-less belt.

Alright here is another QOTD, basically just looking for opinions.
    Since my engine is completely down to the block I wanna make it at least somewhat visually appealing, what would you do in my case? Block is somewhat rusty with silver paint peeling off of it, I'll definitely wanna sand/grind off all the old crap and put on something nice. Originally I planned on just painting everything black but that's boring, gimme suggestions! If I do end up going black I want to paint every possible external engine part black, head, intake mani (is there anything wrong with doing this? I've never seen any pictures of any of them painted yet so I'm unsure.)

Last question, where can I find the Prothane Total Bushings kit (AE86) in Canada? Everywhere online is from the US and it bumps the price from $120USD to practically $200CAD after shipping/conversion rates. There is a place in Calgary that carries them but I asked and its only for VW's (concept 1).
    Last edited by ChrisTangoJuice; 12-28-2014 at 10:46 PM.

tommy is offline Redneck engineer/machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTangoJuice View Post
    [*]Colts Cams! (from 3-rib) There was some engravings on the front of the cams labeling what they were, 261 intake and 268 exhaust. So far from what I found googling this combination of cams is that they are Colt Cams. I'll be posting more pics in a few days so if someone can help identify if the intakes are tri-flow or not would be great!
    The 261 is most probably the same as PDM cam. Colt made them and sold them but original design was done by PDM which contracted colt to have them build. Same sh!t different brand name lol. It's one of the best cam to use on the stock valvetrain. Combined with the 268 that would be a pretty nice setup if you don't plan/wish to upgrade all the valve train which makes it one of the best bang for buck mod on a 16v engine

If you want to be sure, get a dial gauge and a degree wheel on the cam and check the timing of both intake lobe, they should be identical, if not they are triflow which I doubt.
    TE31 1977 - 2T-B (traded)
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)
    AE95 1990 - 4A-GZE daily driven wagon...

That's good to know, seems like a perfect combination for what I need, don't have the knowledge or mula to be modding my engine too much anyways. Seeing how slowly I work, another update wont be for a while, I just stripped most of the paint off the motor today so everything is getting painted black, some head/valve work, lapping the valves and cleaning everything up then I can finally reassemble the engine. Wish me luck!

Thanks for the info, unrelated, but I just read your build thread all in one go, you're crazy at what you do, was really hoping to get to see the engine in the car at the end buuuuut...