Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: There's a first for everything...

Would a rear sway bar be needed to pass? I was just getting one because not having one was bugging me, and I have new polyurethane bushings for them so I might as well get one. If they're neccesary to pass and I don't find one by spring I'll for sure let you know, thanks for the offer! I've still got lots of time to shop around tho, probably gonna do the inspection near the start of spring.
    Also my rear side markers are fine its the front fender side marker wiring. The wiring was ripped right out of the connector and cannot be repaired, so I need to find a pigtail to rewire it. I'm gonna call up some dealerships to see if they carry the part.

How long will your 86 be down for? I wanna come down there and maybe check it out some day, my car might be road trip worthy in the summer haha.

Ha, they are both down at the moment. One is an sr5->gts swap coupe in a rolling state and the other is my hatch that im doing the engine on. I should have the hatch ready for spring if all goes well... lol

And yeah if you need anything off the coupe its yours, ill just need it back at somepoint when I get the car closer to being inspected. Anytime your in town your welcome to pop buy, ill be around.
    Mat 83 GTS Hatch 87 GTSR5 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post
    If only I put the same amount of effort into my schooling as I do my car. Education is important, but racecar is importanter.
    Stuff I'm Selling
    IG Mattyballz86

Wow I suck at updating build threads... nothing really interesting happened anyways.

Still haven't taken it for OOP but thats coming up really soon! Just got my clutch safety switch, oil pressure gauge, and reverse lights working. Mufflers on, car doesn't make any weird noises as of yet. Last thing (hopefully) is just to get some tires for the rear.

I messed around a little, adjusted my cam gears to get it to idle well and I bent a valve... It's replaced now, no damage to the pistons (thank god) so all it needed was a valve. I put in OEM cams/gears temporarily to prevent my stupidity from breaking anything more. Now what I didn't bother reading about is that these cams (Colt/PDM) are meant to be set for stock cam timing but I couldn't get it to 10 deg on diagnostic mode, only 5/15. I read this so now I plan on slotting the dizzy more, however rasta also posted a comment here that he flipped the dizzy gear 180deg and it worked for him. What exactly does this mean? Does he mean just taking the dizzy pin out and literally flipping the gear 180, because I don't see how it'll change unless the gear isn't symmetrical?

I bought some fender braces and a strut bar from Brian (the Jerk).
    The strut bar is from D★Garage and the teal fender braces from Brian(?)86tuning, no sticker/stamping to indicate it however so idk.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150316_155859 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	14159

And then I drove it home. It was my first time driving manual on the street and I was alone... so embarrassing.

Name:	1426723188024 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	14160

Also now its sitting on cut TRD rear springs rather than cut OEM's
    Last edited by ChrisTangoJuice; 04-21-2015 at 04:59 PM.

Flipping the dizzy gear is just what you said.
    Join out, flip, pin back in.
    Probably an odd number of teeth on the gear so it would offset just enough

Thanks Paul, I'll give that a shot.

I noticed that the instrument cluster has a "seat belt" light and when I was digging around the wiring previously there was a wire and connector connected to the seat belt buckle. How is this light supposed to function? Since the seats don't have a pressure sensor, is the light just always on when the car is running and the seat belt not in?

Finally got around to putting it on

Name:	20150423_151419 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	14161

Buckle shorts to ground when unbuckled I believe. Light reminds you to clickit or tickit.

^ I'm kinda late, but thanks Sparkie! Always coming to the rescue on electrical.

Anyways, mine wasn't working and I was looking around to figure out why it wasn't, turns out I was just missing the seatbelt buzzer relay. Borrowed my brothers temporarily to prepare for OOP and I see why the PO removed it...

My brothers boss kindly let me get an OOP inspection done at his shop, for free! Took it in this morning, I failed.
    The car is still at the shop so I'll grab some photos of the failed stuff in the morning.
    Here's a summary of what I failed:

• Odometer inoperable: Didn't even notice because I barely got to drive it... are there any common problems/fixes to this that I should know of? The "trip distance" thing still works for me.
    • Aftermarket suspension: I guess coilovers and TRD lowering springs (cut) won't pass, unsure whether or not my OEM struts are in good condition but gonna have to swap it back to stock now.
    • Brake lines not secure: Steel braided lines are ziptied to the strut because the coils don't have the bracket, I believe the OEM ones do so this should be fine.
    • Aftermarket exhaust: Back to searching for an stock/oem one... Lmk if any of you guys have one/know of anyone with one, need the entire system header back!!!
    • Extended tie rods(?): I know I have a manual rack installed but know nothing about the tie rods, can anyone educate me on what I might have on? The note says "inner and outer tie rods too long," I noticed when I steered far right/left the front tires would end up touching the wheel well and stop it from steering further, so I can't reach full lock. Photos soon to come.
    • Needs new front ball joints: oops
    • Rear mounted battery: Gonna have to relocate to the front now, I even got a nice battery box for it and have it bolted down. By nice I mean Crappy Tire "marine use" special.
    • **** tires: oops
    • Bumper is loose: At some point this little 86 got a bit of front end damage, brackets have either broken or rusted off so now part of the USDM bumper has been ziptied. The bumper rebar/styrofoam is in bolted down tight but the side bumper/lip pieces are half ziptied/bolted on.

TL;DR: Somebody trade me an Alberta car so I don't have to deal with any of this ****, 100% serious about this.
    Last edited by ChrisTangoJuice; 05-15-2015 at 08:31 PM.

There brutal sounds like you need to find a shady shop
    OldSkoolCustoms

More old toyotas then common sense

Yeah wtf odometer isn't safety. And aftermarket exhaust? I bet the OEM exhaust is discontinued so what should you do if your exhaust is rusted?

Sounds like every corolla ever... seriously you just listed 9/10 mods these ****ty kids do lol

Free inspection, but wants you thousands on parts and labour. Seems like a shady shop to me, I would find a different shop to deal with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    85 Toyota Corolla AE86 GTS Coupe
    98 Toyota 4Runner Limited

And like what about all the jdm cars that come in with coilovers etc.. those dont need to go back to stock..

If you have cut springs and your springs are actually loose.. I could see that being an issue.
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

Free inspection but they weren't trying to get money outta me because I never intended to go to them for the parts and labour and they knew. My brother works at the shop and the guy who did the inspection is a great guy, just doing his job, OOP is really strict and Alberta is really hunting down the shady ones. Nothing shady about this place. There was some safety issues I overlooked ofc, loose springs being one.

That being said I'm never doing an OOP in my life, I didn't know what I was getting into as a 16yo buying my first car and I really regret that now... I might be able to get it passed if I throw a little more money at it but idk if that's the best choice with my little of a budget.

Someone (not in Alberta) buy this?
    There just so happens to be an AE86 from Alberta that could replace this right now...

Name:	11783492_1013606932023787_1622675490_o (Custom).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	318.8 KB 
ID:	14456

It's a while since I updated this but it's been on the road for just a little over a month now, even got an 86 in my plate!
    Not much has changed because I've been having too much fun driving around. I got my JDM rear bumper a few weeks ago but didn't put it on today because it conflicted with my exhaust. My exhaust ended up cracking just before then muffler and nearly fell off so I had to remove it, it made room for my JDM rear bumper to be put on but it's so loud it almost hurts... Gonna have to visit a shop to get it re-welded on before I get a ticket.

I'm curious to see what you guys have to think about underaxle vs overaxle exhausts. Currently mine's overaxle but the muffler I got was a bit longer than I anticipated, getting it to fit while overaxle probably isn't possible so I might need to change it to underaxle. What con's are there minus axle droop?

I've got quite a bit of axle droop due to oem rear shocks but I'm definitely looking at picking up a pair of short strokes, either Camaro KYB AGX's or SAAB Bilsteins (B46-0397-H1) that I've heard about through C4AG FB, T3 has even started selling them. Has anyone on here dealt with them?
    Last edited by ChrisTangoJuice; 07-23-2015 at 05:00 PM.