Thread: Thinking About Buying A Car? Read This...

Thinking About Buying A Car? Read This...

[ A Possible Sticky ? ]

I was about to put this in the Off-Topic forum, but realized it would probably be more appropriate to put it here.

Hopefully not too many of you have read this, but it's a good read if you're seriously deciding on buying a car. It's kind of long, so set aside 20 minutes to read it.

If you're serious about purchasing a car through a dealership, I recommend reading this. See the inside perks of a cars salesman and how they go about trying to rip you off, etc. Also see the differences between dealerships, which are good / which are bad...

Check it out:

www.Edmunds.com - "Confessions of a Car Salesman"

Hope that helps anyone out.
    - TVK -

"There's A Vid In All Of Us!"
    "Do You Know How I Fix Rusty Cars? I Buy A New One." - Ben (Soulibrium)

heh.. this is so very true.. I did 2 months at Metro Toyota here in Vic.. what an incredibly brutal job being a salesman is.. 2 months and I sold 2 cars..

thank god for school..

Brett

Good article, very nice find. I thoroughly enjoyed it for the insight that it provided.
    - Brian

Man it's a long article, lol, I'm only on P6...

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

Thanks guys. Hm, maybe this should get moved to the Reference section instead...?
    - TVK -

"There's A Vid In All Of Us!"
    "Do You Know How I Fix Rusty Cars? I Buy A New One." - Ben (Soulibrium)

^ yeah right mr stealership.

I've heard so many horror stories about car dealers/new cars that I'm not sure I'll ever buy a new vehicle.

IMO the cons outweigh the pros when buying a new vehicle. Gone are the days of reliability and proper customer service.

As I currently work at a dealership now, I must say a lot of the more innocent things are the way it is here, but in Ontario, we have OMVIC that stops us from doing a lot of the more terrible things. I was worried when I accidentally got this job that I wasn't going to be able to do it, but I haven't done anything that has messed up my morals yet, that being said, I can see the states, and I guess other provinces are a little scary!

Also look out for the useless rust modules. I have heard salesmen say that when they sell a car for too little they often talk the customer into buying the rust module to make up for it.

My mom, dad, sister-in-law, and co worker were all totally burned on new vehicles in 2012/2013.

Either payed too much, bought a lemon, or were totally F'd over by customer service.

My dad's Nissan had to have the brakes replaced at 12,000 km, and they were arguing that it wasn't covered under warranty.

I have heard too many horror stories about New Car Dealers in BC, most of them being the Ford dealers mind you. One of my friends ended up Suing Sea to Sky Ford because they changed the odo and lied about who owned his janky 08 F-350 when he bought it in 2010, and ended up winning all of his payments back and got to give back that POS truck. That being said there are good dealerships out there, they just are starting to seem more rare these days. Like Dug says gone are the days of reliability and customer service
    85 Toyota Corolla AE86 GTS Coupe
    98 Toyota 4Runner Limited

Delete that anthonyb post he is just digging up old posts for SEO.
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

Quote Originally Posted by pitobread View Post
    Delete that anthonyb post he is just digging up old posts for SEO.
    Agreed. No need to revive a zombie thread.
    1989 MX83 - Sold
    1985 AE86 Coupe - Sold
    1985 MX73 - Sold
    1984 AE86 Hatch - Project Car

I am surprised more places don't have what Ontario has, it's very much government regulated, and if something goes wrong, a place gets shut down. There was just a big thing in TO about somewhere getting closed.

I hate dealers. I shopped at a few when buying my wife's car. I wanted a base model vehicle with little to no options to keep my costs down.
    I bought my wife a 2012 sonic brand new off the lot 2 years ago.

We shopped at Mazda and looked at a Mazda 2 (I think it's called) they had no base models that they had not filled with ****ty options, (rain guards, poorly installed/peeling tint, wings, rims all ugly). They had signs of 0%financing for up to 7 years on the vehicles. We spoke and they weren't willing to find me a base model but insisted I just test drive one with rims and we did it was gutless. Then we returned and they had numbers and such for us to view, they didn't offer 0% for the term we wanted. But told me I could buy an unused 2011 at the same price as a 2012 but they would give me 0%. Haha I'm not stupid, even unused the car has depreciated because it's the previous years model. We tried to leave and they practically cornered us and asked what other vehicles we looked at we told him so there new selling tactic was to talk down the competitors. I left angry. This also doesn't touch the fact the guy was East Indian and would not reply to my wife, instead he answered her questions facing me,

Now why I'll never buy a new car.
    2012 sonic so far it's been a pain, currently the heat is not blowing hot, occasionally the trans slams down a gear brutally hard. Swaybar end links were loud since the 2nd month (had warrantied loud again) the air conditions smells nasty due to a tab they acknowledge but haven't dealt with. Just stupid things. My 77 corolla shifts smooth and blows hot air.

I could go on all day but I gotta go to work. Avoid new cars
    OldSkoolCustoms

More old toyotas then common sense