Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Supercharged 3RZ AE86

The Bassett's 15X8 steelies are lighter than the 14'' Supra wheels... even if I have 205/50 tires on the Bassett, and 195/60 on the Supra's.
    Last edited by Rambo; 10-24-2014 at 06:25 PM.

2011 MAY:

I had to improve the rad, so I bought an aluminum one, two row.... exactly like the Mishimoto.

I was now ready for the first road test! But it was very short. I discovered rapidly that the GTS fuel pump was not flowing enough from 3,000 rpm WOT. The engine was literally dying. I had a fuel pump in the garage coming from a Lexus SC400 (V8 4.0L), so I installed it. Externally; it was identical to the GTS one, so a direct fit. The Denso part number is #951-0003. It's the same pump for all N\A 6 cyl Lexus/Toyota and V8. The only 4 cyl application is the supercharged Previa.

Second road-test:

It was impossible to not spin the tires in first gear, it was pulling hard in 2nd gear (when tires were not spinning). But at that time; my diff ratio was 4.10... and with the low rev 3RZ it was a real pain (cut-off at 5,900 rpm). The engine revved so fast and the gears were so short, that I was always shifting. And when up-shifting during a pull, on the next gear the rpm was falling at the end of the powerband. It was really frustrating. Like the low rev 5ME MK1 Supra, I needed a 3.73 diff ratio.

So I found a third-member geared 3.73 from an old Corolla. I took care to swap in my spool.

Yeah; it was a REAL improvement! Now the gears were steeper and it was so much fun for spirited driving. Only until this moment, I was entirely satisfied with my swap choice. The car was pulling much harder than my ex Supra's 5MGE. It was pulling harder than a Volks VR6 and 1.8T... and faster than about any 200hp cars.

Staying longer in each gears showed another ''downside''. From about 4,800 rpm to redline (5,900), there was a dead spot. I tought the stock cams were in cause. So I ordered a stage 2 camshafts set from LCE. Hoping to receive them soon; I started to play with the AFC Apexi Neo.

I found the A/F ratio was way too rich from factory between 4,800 rpm to redline (10.3-10.5). It was really killing the performance, creating that dead spot over 4,800 rpm. I corrected the A/F ratio to 12.8-13:1 and the difference was day and night! The engine was now pulling hard all the way to the cut-off!
    Last edited by Rambo; 10-24-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Do you have a pic of how the engine sits in the car?

You mean like this? (This was at this time, when it was still N/A)

The car was VERY fun to drive. Every people that was doing a ride was really impressed. I LOVE the torque and the wide powerband of this engine. At this time, my brother's beater was a MK3 Supra turbo at 11 psi (7MGTE). He was unable to keep up with my car. It was so frustrating for him, that I had to swap a 1JZ in his cleaner MK3 Supra! Haha!

Beater 7MGTE:

Cleaner one that I swapped 1JZ:

A man proud of his car (2011 summer):

For the 2012 summer; the only mod I added to the engine were the LCE stage 2 cams.

LCE stage 2 intake cam vs stock intake cam:

Cams specs:
    Intake: 216 deg duration @.050, 8.88mm lift
    Exhaust: 210 deg duration @.050, 8.71mm lift

Power gain from 2,000-6,500 rpm... dramatic increase in mid range horsepower and torque.

Americans list their cams specs at .050, and Japs in ''advertised duration''. So just to make a comparison with other Toyota cams (stock @ .050... sourced from Brian Crower's website):

7MGE/GTE 89-92:
    Intake: 201 deg @0.50, 7.54mm lift
    Exhaust: 201 deg, 7.54mm lift

2JZGE:
    Intake: 194 deg, 8.31mm (VVTI)
    Exhaust: 200 deg, 8.56mm

2JZGTE:
    In: 204, 8.79
    Ex: 200, 8.61

3SGTE:
    In: 204, 8.50
    Ex: 204, 8.50

2AZ (Scion TC):
    In: 200 (VVTI)
    Ex: 204

Cams installed:

The installation was very simple and easy. On Toyota's GE heads, cams lobes generally points one toward the other at TDC. That creates overlap. With the RZ engines; there is absolutely no overlap to get the maximum torque possible a low rev. Look at the last pic I posted to compare the lobes position of the #1 cylinder at TDC. These are the stage 2 cams setted at LCE's specs. They're a -7 degrees overlap!
    Last edited by Rambo; 10-26-2014 at 06:22 PM.

When discussing with the techs from LC Engineering and Paradise Racing; they told me my set-up was now supposed to have near 200 HP/215 lbs torque. This is a dyno video from LCE on a 3RZ with almost the same set-up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_aAd80jZdc

Now the acceleration 0-120 km/h was exactly the same as a Volks GTI 2.0T chipped Unitronic stage 1+.
    The power delivery is very linear, very similar to the Toyota 2JZ-GE or BMW inline 6.

One thing that I found; is that the ECU was (at long term) able to adapt my AFC settings, to reach again the desired A/F ratio set by Toyota.

So to make it blind; I disconnected the first O2 sensor (2nd was never connected). Now the A/F became too rich (safety), so I had to re-adjust my settings with the AFC from the beginning.
    Last edited by Rambo; 10-26-2014 at 06:58 PM.

tommy is offline Redneck engineer/machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    On Toyota's GE heads, cams lobes generally points one toward the other at TDC. That creates overlap. With the RZ engines; there is absolutely no overlap to get the maximum torque possible a low rev. Look at the last pic I posted to compare the lobes position of the #1 cylinder at TDC. These are the stage 2 cams setted at LCE's specs. They're a -7 degrees overlap!
    Don't forget that on GE heads, both camshaft rotate clockwise... on your RZ the exhaust cam rotate counter-clockwise so they would never point to each other... if they did, both intake and exhaust valve would open at the same time... talk about huge overlap in that case
    TE31 1977 - 2T-B (traded)
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)
    AE95 1990 - 4A-GZE daily driven wagon...

Haha; you're right Tom! I've never realised that!

The last time I used my car in 2012 october, I had a little accident. I was passing a pick-up chevy 2500 HD... he did not saw me, and this is the result:

My insurance company evaluated the repairs to 1,900$... so they wanted to scrap my car and give me 500$.

I refused and discuted about 2 month with them, sending them many links about AE86 for sale to proof my car was worth the repair. Finally; the send me a 1,900$ check.

did $1900 cover the costs? I've dealt with ICBC when I got rear ended in my garbage rusty 85' AE86, they offered me $600 and I kept disputing until they offered $1800. I accepted the $1800 then bought the AE86 back as salvage for $50, then sold it as a parts car for $700.

owned vehicles
    92 LN130 | 76 MX13 | 87 Civic | 87 AE86 | 93 VZN105 | 81 TE72W | 85 RA64 | 85 AE86 | 93 RN130

did $1900 cover the costs? I've dealt with ICBC when I got rear ended in my garbage rusty 85' AE86, they offered me $600 and I kept disputing until they offered $1800. I accepted the $1800 then bought the AE86 back as salvage for $50, then sold it as a parts car for $700.
    Only Toyotas and Hondas experience this phenomenon.
    DK lurker-in-chief

The car was still mine. In fact; they sent the check to the garage where I work... because they ''mandated'' the garage to repair my car. My boss gave me the 1,900$. If I had told the insurance company that I would repair the car myself; they would have gave me a smaller amount (something like 14$/hour). Telling them the garage was to repair it, they were giving 40$/hour!

I stripped the car entirely and removed side moldings and motor + tranny. I bought rear 50mm wide fenders, and V-Speed side-skirts. Then the car went to the paint shop.

Sweet!
    http://i.imgur.com/whGaEBG.jpg

Rotate when Irate

I found a good deal for a pair of seats. My wife's brother bought them to put in his Civic... but crashed it. So he sold me his Corbeau seats for a fair price.

Since the first day of the 3RZ swap, I was dreaming of a TRD supercharger. But I did not had the budget to throw 5,000$ US on a new one. So I registered on some Tacoma/4Runner forums hoping to find one used at a cheap price. I finally found one with the 8 PSI pulley, fifth injector, Unichip ECU pre-programmed with 2 different fuel/timing maps, etc.

This is how the set-up was looking:

How it looks in the engine bay:

And a little video to hear the S/C whine! (Click the link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BEST7J6EEU

Last edited by Rambo; 11-06-2014 at 07:02 PM.

2013 April:

I'm a big rally fan, and always loved the Group B Celica.

So I added some color to my car in memory of the rally Celica. This was at a car exposition. I was with my son that was 2 years old. At this time, I've never drove the car since the supercharger installation.

Now that the winter was over, it was time get a ride with my new beast. The sad thing is that the Unichip ECU did not work with my engine (2000 8 port). This Unichip computer is for a 2003-2004 2RZ/3RZ ECU.

With the stock ECU and the AFC Apexi piggyback, all was OK when driving normally. But in WOT, there was not enough fuel from idle to 3,000 rpm, and it ran very lean. I tried to add more fuel with the Apexi Neo at +50% everywhere between idle and 3,000 rpm. It was not enough... even when raising the fuel pressure in the ramp.

So I connected the 5th injector (650cc) on the S/C to the 4th injector. Now it was WAY TOO RICH under all conditions. So I even tried to connect the 5th injector to the VTEC control output of the Apexi Neo. It was a little better, but too hard to control under some conditions and causing misfire.

I disconnected the 5th injector, but installed 2JZ-GE 330cc injectors instead of the stock ones (245-270cc). Now it's way better!

The car was pulling great! I know so many people with turbo cars that get very impressive numbers on the dyno... but have a very shi*ty powerband for the street. My set-up surely does not have impressive numbers... BUT the powerband IS amazing. There is ALWAYS power EVERYWHERE in the rpm range. This engine have instant throttle response... even if i'm cruising in 5th gear as low as 1,500 rpm. The S/C give me instantly 5 psi of boost ''on the tap'' from idle to about 3,500 rpm... and 8 psi from 3,500 rpm to redline. And don't forget that a Corolla is feather-light, so the power/weight ratio is phenomenal.

I know you are slowly catching up in time. But did you dyno it?
    BCWORKS

No dyno at this time. May be next summer! According to LCE's tech; my set-up at this time was supposed to produce around 270 hp/tq.

I enjoyed driving my supercharged car about one week.... until the ''paper'' head gasket blowed. The 4th cylinder was drinking coolant at idle. Maybe it was a little risky to push 8 psi of non-intercooled boost on a high comp engine! So I bought another 3RZ engine and removed the stock head and did a little cleaning/porting, port-matching to the S/C, and a new valve job. The head gasket/head swap job was easy and took only a couple hours. The car was still running GREAT, and had no other problem.
    Last edited by Rambo; 11-13-2014 at 06:53 PM.