Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Supercharged 3RZ AE86

I really enjoyed my set-up all 2013 summer. The car is a blast to drive. It was impossible to do a ride driving normally. Always wanting to press the gas pedal to hear the wonderful whine song coming from the supercharger.

This is a ''little'' burnout video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSMFiBDHbhw

This is a few pics around the car:

That is pretty cool, and I do love the way it looks too. The red and white is awesome!

Next time go up a gear hey.
    BCWORKS

Thanks Blade7.

And yes I know Warren... I should have start this burnout directly in 2nd or 3rd gear. It was not possible to upshift because I did not wanted to crash in the shed 2 feet in front of the car!

tommy is offline Redneck engineer/machinist
    I just love the kid at the start of that video
    TE31 1977 - 2T-B (traded)
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)
    AE95 1990 - 4A-GZE daily driven wagon...

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I just love the kid at the start of that video
    ''Dad; do you want me to hold your beer?''

2013 August:

When you are used to shift near 8,000 rpm because you drove 4AGE powered cars for the last 15 years; it's frustrating to see the rpm needle stops under 6,000 rpm.

The stock 3RZ redline is supposed to be at 5,500 rpm. Mine revs to 5,900 rpm (yes my tach is accurate). But one day I found on a Tacoma forum, a guy that hacked his 2RZ ECU.... allowing it to revs 6,500 rpm. He gave me his ''secret'', so I ordered a 17.7 MHZ crystal clock at an electronic store. It cost only 70 cents.

So I changed the stock 16 MHZ crystal clock by the new 17.7 one. It took a few minutes.

It was working! My engine was now revving to 6,500 rpm!!!!

The A/F ratio became a little leaner, but the ''problem'' was easily resolved with the AFC Neo.

With this 600 rpm improvement; I was able to use the more common 3.90 diff ratio, instead of the VERY RARE 3.73 (don't forget I still have a 6.38'' SR5 differential! ).

Did you find this crystal modification also changed your ignition timing substantially? any misfires from the decreased dwell?

I know the crystal mod creates a ''distorsion'' in the fuel and timing maps. I did not noticed any downside with the timing.... only leaner A/F ratio, that was corrected by the piggyback.

The guy that gave me this trick, run a 2WD Tacoma 2RZ (2.4L). He had the stock ECU with crystal mod, 440cc injectors, and a Mitsubishi Starion's turbo at 21 psi. He compensated the fuel/timing distorsion with water/meth injection. He ran 4 years like this without any problem.

Another downside with the crystal mod: it's now impossible to communicate with the ECU... neither to get codes or check the sensors data (2RZ/3RZ are OBD2).

swap out the crystal in your obdII reader with one that's the same ratio faster (17.7/16), then you can talk to the code reader and get your codes.

of course the code reader wont work on anything else.

good to hear that the decreased dwell didnt bother the engine too much.

Did not know it was possible Sparkie! But the 15,000$ Snap-On reader I use belongs to the garage where I work, so...

Anyway I have another ECU. I swap it sometimes when I have to look at some sensors data. With the AFC Apexi Neo; I can only see live data of the TPS and MAF.
    Last edited by Rambo; 11-23-2014 at 11:07 AM.

Coool
    BCWORKS

One downside of this TRD supercharger, is the lack of intercooler. It works very well without one, but can become more efficient with cooler intake charge.

Everyboy knows water/methanol injection works GREAT with a positive displacement supercharger (roots, twin-screws), particularly when the water/meth solution pass through the compressor. It cools the rotors and S/C housing, and creates a little more boost because the mist increases the rotors efficiency. The rotors blend the solution, so each cylinder have the exact same A/F ratio.

Water cools the air charge drastically, and the meth acts like race fuel by increasing the octane level... so it retards knock. The evaporative effects of the water, plus the octane boost of methanol, allows the motor to run more advanced ignition timing and/or boost to create additional horsepower... with proper tuning.

So surprise; I bought a water/meth injection kit. It was a used kit, so it was a lot cheaper. The plasic hose was not long enough to install the tank and pump in the trunk. So I decided to install it ''temporarly'' behind the driver seat.

Last edited by Rambo; 11-25-2014 at 07:19 PM.

September 2013:

When installing the water/meth kit; I first screwed the injector nozzle directly in the S/C housing, because there was already an hole with the same size and thread.

But the downside was when the throttle-plate was closed; the vacuum sucked w/m... even if there is a check valve in the nozzle. So I've put it before the throttle body, like it is recommended.

The AEM w/m kit comes with a progressive controller with an integrated MAP sensor. I set it to start injecting at 1 PSI, and set it to be fully injecting at 8 PSI. The delivery is progressive between 1 and 8 PSI.

In the AEM kit, there is three injector size. 130cc, 315cc and 550cc . The 130cc is rated for engine up to 200hp, 315cc from 200-350 hp, and 550cc for 350-600 hp. This is a general guide. In fact; a supercharged engine without intercooler needs about twice the amount of w/m to do the same job.

Just to confirm (and by curiosity), i've first tryed the 315cc injector. I went for a ride; and noticed no real difference... exept that the w/m gave me a richer a/f ratio on the wideband. So I installed the 550cc injector, and reduced a little the injection times at WOT with the AFC Apexi Neo.

I went again for a road-test...

The a/f ratio was way too rich at WOT. I passed about an hour driving and stopping to adjust the a/f ratio the closer possible to 12.5-12.8. When it was better tuned, WOW!!!! It was really impressive! It's hard to tell with my ''butt-dyno'', but I'm not afraid to ''guesstimate'' the gain to about 30 whp. I also gained about one psi more boost because the mist increased the rotors efficiency. I rided about 20 km (very spirited driving). I opened the hood and touched the S/C. Usually it should be very hot after a ride like this. Now it was almost cool... a big difference! The difference with a laser thermometer was around 22 degree cooler.
    Last edited by Rambo; 11-27-2014 at 05:31 PM.

^so rad
    Another happy w/m user. I've looked into it and couldn't believe it was so easy, so efficient, and so cheap. Let us know how much mix you're going through.
    (I've got an M112 laying around, will probably go on my Tacoma some day)

You can probably go leaner than 12.5 and get some more power. Now that you're running so cool there is no reason to dump the extra fuel in there. EGT gauge would be nice so you can make sure you stay on the safe side.
    The AFC is always pretty ghetto...You're not doing much though, I think it's okay to use in this situation.

RETIRED

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Let us know how much mix you're going through.
    More I'm hitting boost, the faster I'm going through the 4L tank! It should be possible to not burn a drop of W/M without hitting boost. But the car is so amazing and exciting to drive; it's almost IMPOSSIBLE for me to not be WOT! So a ride of very spirited driving on twisty roads takes about 3.5L for 20 km.

When LCEngineering released their ''super high boost'' pulley, I ordered one (10 PSI).

My brother lives at about 500 km from me, so we don't see each other very often. He passed a weekend at my house. So we installed the 10 PSI pulley, and went for a ride. He was extremly impressed how fast my car was. He was laughing out loud like a boy everytime I was hitting the gas pedal! Unfortunately, while we were rolling at very high speed (200 kmh+)... a front tire exploded. By the time I was able to pull on the side of the road, it was too late.... my rim was scrap.

So we installed the spare tire, and came back to home.

This car is absolutely nutty. Well done sir, well done.

need video slaughtering rubber
    lolwut