Thread: Motorcycle lane splitting article

Motorcycle lane splitting article

This was cool. If you've ever been to california, or simply gave up and lane split on the gardener expressway, now you know you're justified in doing it.

http://www.gizmag.com/motorcycle-lan...esearch/34425/

Yeah... I dunno. Lane splitting freaks me out enough to not do it

1991 Tercel 4A-GEsmallport RIP 09/02/2011 - - 1993 Supra.
    05 IS300 Daily

Lol the only people benefitting from lane splitting are the bike riders. There is nothing beneficial for me, when a bike blasts by me at an unsafe speed in between a bunch of traffic.

I rode bikes for years, as most of my family did. A seasoned bike rider knows not to trust the general public traffic. Any one of those cars can merge into you, open their door, whatever.
    Then you're ****ed for life cause you had to save 2 minutes of commuting time. Sorry but some article written by self proclaimed "motorcycle expert" isn't going to change that opinion.

Now, that guys' article on a USB powered wank machine, i'd probably take his advice on that, cause he looks like the kind of weirdo who'd **** a printer.

There isn't that much time that can be saved, the bikes behind you won't effect your speed until they are in front of you, then they are slowing you down by other people stopping when a bike flys past them, and then even if there were 10 bikes in front of you in your lane, in TO traffic, that would save you maybe a couple seconds as a driver because there are still countless other cars there. I'm not seeing much benifit for cars, it sounds like some impatient guy just trying to write something so he can justify what he does.

I see lots of drivers spike their brakes when a rider zips past them between the lanes on a wailing crotch rocket or loud Harley. I am sure that is beneficial.

Lanesplitting, no, IMO, using the shoulder at a reasonable speed, maybe.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

I am not a biker and I am all for lane splitting. One biker lane splitting is one less car on the road.... but I make fun of people that say they are stuck in traffic, You are traffic!!! and I am traffic. traffic. This is also a speed differential thing doing 100km/h splitting stopped cars is not a save and should not be legal.

If lane splitting was legal I might get myself a bike thought it would take me a long time to trust myself to have enough skill on a bike to lane split. All moot as Ontario will be the last place this will happen. We could have day long gridlocks due to snow and a poor road system and no improvements like mandatory snow tire days would be implemented.

A speedy lane splitter almost killed me, I was j-walking/running through stopped traffic ... so we were both at fault.

But I believe we both learned something that day. Risk has consequence.

The bag in my hand Swung up, bounced off his bike...smacked him in the face, he didn't even slow down.

Like the terminator lol

Correct me if I'm wrong, I was under the impression that lane splitting IS legal? The article I read a while ago might have been from somewhere else, but I thought it was a local article, and its purpose was specifically to tell people to stop yelling at lane splitters because it is legal.
    EDIT:I went and looked it up, it is apparently illegal, and the only place in North America where it is legal is California.
    Last edited by ae92man; 12-15-2014 at 05:03 PM.
    DK lurker-in-chief

The article is right to point out it only is "safe" when the bikes arent going much faster than traffic (30 ish), and to get congestion savings we have to get the car drivers out of their cars and onto bikes - not sure how safe that will be.

Personally I have only lane split when traffic is STOPPED DEAD, and shows no signs of moving (it's always been a terrible collision it's happened about 5 times in the last 6 or 7 years). I'm going 25km/h an hour and I feel like the king of Toronto when I do it. I've had people move over to block me - it's funny as hell because they leave space on the other side at that point and I weasel around them.

Also one time I had to lane split because this guy was trying to ram me or something, I didn't hang around long enough to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugwillis View Post
    Now, that guys' article on a USB powered wank machine, i'd probably take his advice on that, cause he looks like the kind of weirdo who'd **** a printer.
    I didn't read the article. This quote above made my day.
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport