Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on trailers?

Opinions on trailers?

Looking at getting a truck and trailer,for my corolla would a smile axle trailer work for my needs, I see most car haulers are all twin axle trailers. The gvw of the trailer is 3000lb, corollas roughly 2250, I can use the pickup for tools and tires. It says it's a quad trailer but I thimk it would be fine if the gvw is high enough. I've heard twin axles pill nicer but have no experience
    OldSkoolCustoms

More old toyotas then common sense

twins pull nicer and if a tire blows your car will live on.

Quote Originally Posted by woodenturn View Post
    DK should ban such nonsense. 2 cents~ sr86 www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?32933-Elizabeth

T/a (tandem axle) is really the only way to go. If you're getting a truck, a bigger trailer is always more useful. And leave a vehicle on it when you're not using it, that's the best reason for not lending it out.

narfy is offline gigidy gigidy... ooo right!!
    single axle trailers tend to cause teh back of your truck to bounce a fair bit because the trailer is teeter tottering... i would recommend going tandem axle with electric brakes.
    VZN185 - 32" BFG AT, OME suspension, ARB bumper, lightforce lights, TRD trans cooler, TRD exhaust, AMT sliders, budbuilt plates...
    ZN6 - stock with HIDs and LEDs...
    fng@regencyauto.com

Flatbed hino like the drift ppl in japan

Tandem axle sounds like the way to go from everyone I have talked with aswell. As far as leaving it empty, I'm fine with people wanting to use it, half the reason I can justify buying it is I work on people's poop boxes on the side for extra funds so having the ability to save my customers a tow bill and fill my pockets a bit more is a good thing. If all goes well I should have the truck home early February. A trailer to follow shortly after
    OldSkoolCustoms

True, it's nice to be able to help people out with a trailer, but be prepared to fix some stupid little thing every time you lend it to someone. Broken lights, dented fender, wiring ripped off...of course, nobody ever owns up to it so you end up fixing it every time you want to use it.

That's where I mis paraphrased. Never meant to imply I would lend it out. Use to make more profits is the key here. All about that drift money!
    OldSkoolCustoms

Hah, I figured as much. It's been my experience that owning a trailer invites all sorts of lending requests.

You're so right, every time I've lent mine out something gets broken. I usually break something the first time I use any trailer though. You forget how long it is, or the plug isn't long enough, or you smash something figuring out the best way to load.

Find something light. I ended up finding a pretty light dual axle with #2500s on it. I figure it's only 1000lbs at most. Pulls so nice! My 2nd gen Tacoma handles it just fine, even through the mountains.
    Most duals have 3000 or 5000 axles on them and are way overkill. Towing a 3000lb, 10000lb rated trailer, with 2500lbs of car on it is pretty retarded...

Even buy a single axle and buy another axle from princess auto.

Electric brakes and a controller are a must. Hydraulic with the built in surge brake are garbage.

RETIRED

Jungle I talked with a coworker who also suggested purchasing a second axle to install on a light trailer. Having zero experience with this personally. I'll ask you guys. Other then welding up some pickup for spring for a secondary axle, what other work would be required?

Here what's bouncing in my head.
    Axle location in regards to tounge weight.
    I would need to get the exact same width axle correct? Would 1/2 differences be vital?
    Would the second axle require Brakes? I know electric would be easy to hook up, just curious if it would need the second set of brakes.

Next question torsion beams axles or leaves? I feel like a torsion axle may be smoother. But what do I know its 7am and I have not had a coffee. Off to work I go! Thanks for your input guys!
    OldSkoolCustoms

Jungle*******matic!!

That bagged trailer is dreamy

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolcool View Post
    Jungle I talked with a coworker who also suggested purchasing a second axle to install on a light trailer. Having zero experience with this personally. I'll ask you guys. Other then welding up some pickup for spring for a secondary axle, what other work would be required?

Here what's bouncing in my head.
    Axle location in regards to tounge weight.
    I would need to get the exact same width axle correct? Would 1/2 differences be vital?
    Would the second axle require Brakes? I know electric would be easy to hook up, just curious if it would need the second set of brakes.

Next question torsion beams axles or leaves? I feel like a torsion axle may be smoother. But what do I know its 7am and I have not had a coffee. Off to work I go! Thanks for your input guys!
    Torsion is nice. If you can find brakes for them go for it.
    I wouldn't worry about width. Close enough is fine.
    Brakes on just one axle is common.

Just center the axles on the trailer. Tongue weight will be determined with load placement. I've got a 2x4 bolted across the deck of mine for the front wheels to stop on, sets perfect tongue weight every time. I set it up with a bathroom scale on the hitch.

Just build one from scratch.

RETIRED

How far, and how fast are you towing?
    If its short trips, and your speeds are not too high a single axle would probably be fine.
    For greater distance and speeds, its nice to have more tire and bearing to spread the load.
    And having 4 electric brakes at 140kph is nice too.

I always check the wheels bearings and drums for heat when ever I stop. On the truck too.
    The huge two car trailer we used this summer we had a laser heat gun to check temps of the bearings and tires. On a 5000km trip running 20 hours a day, its good to know what's starting to die before its terminal
    Last edited by paulcorolla; 01-23-2015 at 11:24 AM.

I like this thread...much learned already.

I spent $500 last year on u-haulers. Feels like throwing money away but I also want more low and the U-haul will not accommodate due to a fixed(6"tall) tire stop.

Jungle: any blueprints you can post...ghetto or otherwise for a basic "lowered-compact" set-up? I tend to overbuild things so I'm curious about amount of cross bracing required and material specs to keep the weight down around 1000lbs. Which to me sounds perfect, I too have 2nd Gen. Tacoma

I considered building one myself. But realistically it's taken me forever to get slow progress in my Corolla, my welder sucks almost as much as my ability to measure and construct things. There's a reason I'm not a carpenter for my uncles company haha
    OldSkoolCustoms

I probably could build one if I really tried but honestly I'd rather just buy this one, perhaps build the next one after I have some experience with what I like/don't like about it.

Side not I've been emailing a guy about his trailer that is in my price range, tandem axle. Just waiting on some more detailed pictures and deck measurements
    OldSkoolCustoms

http://honda-tech.com/road-racing-au...build-3020002/

This guy. About as basic as you can get.

I PMd him about frame rail size;

"3x1.5 11ga

Zero issues after almost 30k miles. A few things have been added and I will likely update the thread soon. "

750lbs is crazy light.
    Last edited by JungleMatic; 01-23-2015 at 02:05 PM.

RETIRED

Meh, going to the trouble of adding second axles etc.. seems hardly worth it.. just buy a tandem axle at the start.. Hell, buddy bought a brand new ~16' last year for ~3gs.. so theres gotta be used ones coming around for a reasonable price..

Also, dovetail.. aka deck is tilted down at rear.. makes loading cars a fair bit easier..

brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD