Thread: te72 3tc engine issues drifting

te72 3tc engine issues drifting

hey everyone
    I have a te72 5spd with a 3tc. mods include: colt cams, webber 32/36, coils, welded diff, neg camber RCA's

I discovered this weekend it had engine issues when sideways. it runs fine when it's gripping, but when it drifts it loses power and the rpms just hover and stay (doesn't decel) and it runs like crap for the next 10 seconds. full tank of fuel according to the gauge.. I changed the fuel filter and it improved a little but the problem is still there. I've been told carb floats don't like it when sideways and a Holley 5200 (ford pinto) is a good option. I'm wondering if it bolts up with the manifold I have my webber on and if this carb would be more resistant to sideways G's. any other suggestions to give my engine drift power is also appreciated, thanks!

An electric fuel pump and inline regulator will help ensure your pressures always there. I would start with dropping the gas tank. Inspecting the lines and condition, clean the inside of the tank out, and use compressed air to blow the fuel lines free of obstruction.
    OldSkoolCustoms

More old toyotas then common sense

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolcool View Post
    An electric fuel pump and inline regulator will help ensure your pressures always there. I would start with dropping the gas tank. Inspecting the lines and condition, clean the inside of the tank out, and use compressed air to blow the fuel lines free of obstruction.
    yeah definitely need to clean the tank and lines, there was a bug and alot of other crap that came out of the fuel filter i replaced. think a regulator is necessary for something like this with only 4 psi? http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...ew/make/toyota

or if you know of any tried and proven fuel pumps that would fit my needs?

Tank slosh, carbs float bowl is also sloshing.

The OEM fuel pumps are fine until they see air. I would go to a return style system. May help a little bit.
    BCWORKS

Any carb will need tuning for high G cornering. even my side drafts on my mango needed tuning.
    You will need to lower or raise the float level until it works. does it feel like lack of fuel? or stumbling like its too rich? you have to figure that part out by trial and error sometimes.
    My side drafts I had to lower the fuel level for solo 2 . On a ministock oval track race car I used to have we had to raise the fuel level.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by aguo View Post
    ... when it drifts it loses power and the rpms just hover and stay (doesn't decel) and it runs like crap for the next 10 seconds.
    Does it smell gassy as well? Have you rebuilt the carb at all?

fun idea: put your friends go-pro on top of the carb and go drifting. Check the video to see when you snap the throttle closed if the carb is just pissing gas into the throats - that would be a stuck float valve. Also, a video of the carb while drifting sounds kinda cool whether it's working or not.

Lean slosh
    BCWORKS

If you've already got a 32/36, a holley 5200 would do nothing.. as its a clone of the 32/36.

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

Yesh, a 5200 is a clone of a weber, or vice versa. The 5200 would net you a bunch of downgrades like staked in pieces that the weber has removeable.

Fuel float level is going to be pretty critical. One of our buddies mounted his 180 out from the normal and apparently it was better for slosh, but really DCOE's are your best bet and even those can slosh given enough G's.
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

Quote Originally Posted by aguo View Post
    yeah definitely need to clean the tank and lines, there was a bug and alot of other crap that came out of the fuel filter i replaced. think a regulator is necessary for something like this with only 4 psi? http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...ew/make/toyota

or if you know of any tried and proven fuel pumps that would fit my needs?
    Haha I know, the guy who was helping change it a regulators needed if you run an electric inline.

It was starving for fuel after sliding and leaning out hard. I'd try fiddling with the float (raise it) maybe buy a wideband sensor also so you can see what's going on in your exhaust
    OldSkoolCustoms

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolcool View Post
    Haha I know, the guy who was helping change it a regulators needed if you run an electric inline.

It was starving for fuel after sliding and leaning out hard. I'd try fiddling with the float (raise it) maybe buy a wideband sensor also so you can see what's going on in your exhaust
    oh didn't realize that was you! thanks everyone for the input. I have not rebuilt the carb. I'm gonna to try to figure out the float level stuff. sucks that I can't really test if it fixed it until the next drift day

Midnight shenanigans bro. I give props to you tracking it right away. Next time bring some 13" rims and more tools for mishaps! Hope,to see you track bound again soon!
    OldSkoolCustoms

so i was reviewing some gopro footage. it actually looks like its stumbling from too rich? take notice on the second clutch kick. and when i was limping it back to the pit there was barely to no power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1pFzwOE1x8

this video illustrates the problem better. right after i replaced the fuel filter too

http://youtu.be/a4D58lqsCW0

Too much gas doesn't really make sense. Get a wideband
    BCWORKS

I had the same issue running a 3TC in my 86. The fuel is sloshing around in the carb. I adjusted the float and it helped me get through a few more corners but it bogged down on the last corner and I sputtered off the course. Cruising around town and low speed drifting is fine with the carb but when it comes to the big boy turns, it starts to fail.

I tested the 32/36 with some donuts and figure 8's but when it came to a heavy swing it would immediately struggle, just like in your video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trRAu9FUznc

Here's a clip of after I adjusted my float with the 32/36. On the last corner out of the course, you can hear the engine struggling.
    http://youtu.be/L3ZhwiiIkXo?t=19s

Once my linkage kit came for my side drafts, the engine had no problems. Which leads me to the conclusion that the progressive carb is your bottle neck.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4v8s2JLe30