Thread: 1972 Celica ST

1972 Celica ST

I picked up a 1972 Celica ST about a month ago. I have been looking for a 1971-1972 Celica locally for about 10 years. The first one I saw (10 years ago) was sitting in a Wrecker an totally parted out. I had never seen a car like this before but new that I wanted one from the moment I saw it. So I would look on Kajiji and buy and sell pages. I never had any luck. So I put it out of my mind on finding one.

I work in the same shop as my dad and one morning when I get to work he says to me that he found a Celica sitting in the next town over. I had to go look at it. It was sitting in the industrial park behind a shop, it had no for sale sign in it but the owner was working at the shop. I asked if the car was for sale he said "make me an offer". I had been saving some money to have my Mustang put on the dyno and offered what I had saved, but it was not quite enough. So I spent the winter saving by selling off my Hot wheels collection and some car parts. By spring tim I finally had the $900 he was asking for the car and we made a deal. The guy who I bout the car from was quite attached to the car and almost did not want to sell it.

Here is where the car was sitting when I saw it:

There is some unique history on the car: It was babied early in its life. Then the owner got a mental illness and got in a police chase with it. It then sat on his moms driveway for at least 15 years under some trees which probably kept the interior as nice as it is. The neighbors complained to the town about the car being an eyesore and it was sent to a compound on its way to be crushed. The guy I bought the car from got a call from a friend who worked at the body shop where the Celica was sitting in compound. He bought the car. He had It for 10 years and then I bought it.

If you have comments or questions follow this link: http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...776#post481776
    Last edited by white_cross; 05-24-2015 at 04:34 PM.

So we brought the car home. A guy from work who had a trailer and brought the car home for me. Yes it was a big trailer, I probably could have fit four Celica's on that trailer.

The car is home. Photos of my American and Japanese Mustangs:

The car is complete all the hard to find stuff was sitting in the car. Here is the trunk full of Celica parts:

started organizing the parts:

Dirty carpet:

Pressure washed the carpet:

The Celica in its new home for the next couple of years:

Last edited by white_cross; 05-06-2015 at 10:11 PM.

I pulled most of the interior (there is rust on the floor which I expected. It has been fiber glassed to keep the mice out by the last owner):

Some floor shots:

More random parts from the trunk:

So the engine was supposed to run 10 years ago and I am in the process of making that happen. I pored oil down each cylinder and used a breaker bar on the crank pulley and it turned over nicely So I think it will run. It was not ceased! The thing is the engine was pulled to paint the engine bay and then just set in place and not hooked up So I have to figure out where all the wires and a bunch of other things go. I have it all connected except the starter and Ballast resistor and battery cables and clutch linkage. I have no Idea how to hook up those items. Any one with some insight on those things plus these next few pictures would be good:

Mocked up the grille:

So I found some pictures. I thought these were long lost to accidentally deleting my whole photo album last year. The pictures are really small because the larger files no longer exist. The pictures are from 10 years back.

So here is a picture of my first car after my dad and I did the restoration. Mostly my dad working and me learning from him. it is a 1986 200sx a sweet car for sure. It had everything I wanted in a first car. Pop up lights, piles of 1980's styling, removable sunroof, rear wheel drive and a 5 speed std. I really wonder how this car would have done on an autocross course.

So the reason I include this car in my Celica build thread is because with out this car I would not have found out about 1st gen celicas. My dad and I were going to various wreckers in the city looking for parts for my 200sx. At this one wrecker there was a pair of Celicas. When I saw them I had no idea what they were but loved how they looked and knew that this would be the type of car I would own someday. This started a 10 year local search for one of these cars.

So here are some pictures of the pair of Celicas that got me hooked. Not mutch left but the blue one was very solid in terms of rust and a Manitoba car. I also love the artistic photo opportunities that the patina of the blue car gave me. It is also an older car than mine looking at the serial number. I plan on going back to see if these still exist some time this summer: Enjoy the photos.

Spent some more time on the car the past while. First off the seats are quite solid and only need some small vinyl repairs. The problem was they were so gross I did not want to sit on them here they are:

So I rented a rug doctor from the local COOP grocery store and used it to clean the cloth section of the seats as well as the head liner they came out pretty nice:

Then I cleaned the vinyl with mr clean and it came out pretty good. So next step for these is to repair the damaged sections of vinyl and then re dye the vinyl with some black SEM the seats should look like brand new when I am done with them:

The door cards are pretty nice too only one rip on the driver side back which will need a repair done to it.
    Dirty set:

Scrubbed down with mr clean. The darker spots on the vinyl are still wet from washing. I will also dye these black with SEM. My dad used the SEM on his 1970 Nova restoration to dye some gold vinyl seats to black. That was about 12 years ago and it is still holding on strong and looking as good as new:

Next I removed the fenders and pulled the glass and all the guts out of the driver door and then removed the door so I can start rust repair on it:

Found this inside the door when I was removing the window. This has been a Manitoba car for over 30 years. I did a phone number look up hoping to find a previous owner to get some cool stories and this number no longer exists in Manitoba:

The rust on the door:

The car sits like this now:

I have been doing a bunch of stuff on the car lately, just disassembly stuff though. So there have not been many picture opportunities worth posting. Just mostly making videos of how stuff was removed so I can remember how it all goes back together.

I pulled the front and rear glass out, so I could get the headliner out. I managed to get the back window out with out braking it. The front was damaged all ready so I was less care full and I broke it. The metal behind the weather strip to hold in the glass was not rusted out so that is a big plus for me!

rear glass:

Windows out:

The headliner was then removed. I was sure there would be a mouse nest up there looking at the yellowish stain above the drivers head. I was pleasantly surprised when I found it free of any thing related to rodents! So I have no Idea what the crusty stain is in the headliner and I think I would rather not like to know. My theory has to do with drinking and driving and puking (gross). What ever the stain is the rug doctor would not remove it.

I also took some time today to do something that was more of an experiment and not a permanent solution. I was curious what the 13 inch Keystone Mags (that came with the car when I bought it) would look like with the black inserts painted back on. So I gave it a shot.

The starting point:

I used some Duplicolor wrinkle paint on the inserts and it came out pretty nice. I also polished what was left of the chrome. So If I decide to use these at some point there is lots of wheel left to work with. There is a local shop that will refinish old rims. These might end up going to that shop. These are not my first choice but are a cool rare/vintage set of keystone classic rims. So they would be something cool to hang onto and use for when I am feeling nostalgic:

So this weekend I have been spending some more time on the car. Yesterday I stripped the trunk out: wiring, gas tank, and lights. So now now from the dash board back the car is almost a bare shell. What is left is rear axle, rear roll up windows and mechanisms. The goal is to get this car stripped down to the shell and get the floor blasted to clean steel and see what is left then start welding patches. I got an idea from a guy I used to work with. He restored his 1967 Chevelle and he built his own rotissarie using a pair of engine stands. So that is the plan for me too. Should be a cheap way of doing it. I had no idea how light the car was as a shell. The car is on 4 jack stands, I got under the rear of it yesterday and pushed up on the rear frame rail with one hand and was able to quite easily lift it off of the rear pair of jack stands. :shock:. So any amount of power in this car is going to make it quick!

Before:

After:

Tank is out:

It sounded like sand and gas in the tank. I got an ice cream pail full of 10 plus year old gas that I drained from the tank. what to do with it?

Burn it with fire! Trust me this is totally an important step in any car restoration :2thumbs:

So over my holidays I got in contact with Wolf steel. These guys are willing to work with me and get a new floor pan made up. They will take my rusted out driver side floor and fabricate for me a new floor panel from the old one. They also said this floor would become available for others who need this part.
    So I started chipping out the fiber glass from the floor:

Here is my driver side floor and the taped off aria is what they would be making me:

some more rust work needed This was all hiding under fiber glass:

Today I went to Moonlight a local body shop here in Winkler. I am getting a part painted on the FJ and I know the owners of the shop through my dad. So I asked them if there was a way to look at samples for 1970's Toyota colors. I want to paint my car a factory Toyota celica color just not the Green that is on it. There were a few variations of the blues that came on the celica that I was interested in but had no idea what they are called or their paint code. Well I was in luck they still have an RM paint sample book from the 1970's. In the book was all the color samples for all Toyota's from 1970-1972. This is pretty sweet since the Toyota celica guys are trying to put together a database for the 1st gen celicas. Plus I got something solid to look at and base my decision for color choice on.

I ordered a pair of rocker panels from Wolf Steel in Quebec

I am Very impressed with them so far. Was nice to have some one who is down to earth and easy to talk to. Very friendly too. Spent a bit of time talking about our project cars with the owner while ordering these:

Here is the color chip page for my year of Celica:

So last night a friend of mine came down to help me pull the motor and trans out of the car:

Its out. At this point we were trying to separate the motor and trans so I could put the motor on my stand. Well it would not go. for some reason the input shaft will not slide out.

So getting a lot closer to sand blast time. I want the shell bare for sand blasting the floor and engine bay. Then I can see exactly how much metal work is needed.

I am slowly tracking down parts for the Celica. I got another part in the mail this week from another member on first gen celica forums:

here is my old fender (the bottom is completely gone on the back of it) beside the "new" one:

Today My dad came over to check out the fender. We spent some time pulling the dents out of it and test fitting it on my car:

I also like that the fender has the oem decal stripes on it. I am going to take it down to the local sign shop and have them make an exact copy of the stripe. The nice thing is I can get both front fenders graphics by inverting the graphic for the other side. I did not have any reference for making graphics for my car since my car was in primer when I got it. I can also have them extend the graphics for the door too. So this is a big plus for me. I plan on having stencils made up so I can paint the stripes on the car instead of decals.

So went on an adventure today with my dad. I picked up this beauty:

It is a 1973. It was advertised at $150. It was advertised as a 1981 model year with no motor or trans. A guy I met at autocross in Gimli found the add for this car on Kajijiji. I figured for $150 I can't go wrong. I figured the front bumper alone is worth close to that. So got my hands on a 2 wheel dolly and headed out to St. Claude. The guy selling the car got it as part of his property in an estate sale. This was the last real automotive treasure on his land. He listed off a really cool list of cars that he all ready sold off of his yard. We looked the car over and I was expecting the floors to be gone. Well quite opposite actually from The floors seem very solid with the exception of the rockers which I have a new set of. To top it off the car has a motor and trans in it and the motor seems to be rebuilt so I am going to attempt to fire it up. The one rear tire was not holding air and I needed it to so i could get it home. The owner of the Celica took me to the shop which was full of wheels and tires. Then on the work bench I saw a pile of more toyota parts. 2 more smiley bumpers and a pair of fenders. He threw those in for 25 bucks! We tried 3 different rim/tires and one of them held air with a very small hiss the rest had very noticeable hisses. We mounted the wheel on the car and drove home. Got to my place after dark, after an hour drive and unstrapped the car from the dolly and the crazy thing the tire held air the whole drive but in the time it took to get the tie straps off of the car the tire went flat!

[IMG]://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/white_cross86/IMG_5300.jpg[/IMG]

So the thing is with this car I did not get a TOD because the last guy who owned the Celica passed away and the car was acquired by the guy I bought it from with his property. So I need to look into what it takes to set up ownership (if it is possible) at MPI. So my thoughts on this one is It could make a really sweet autocross car. It looks way to nice to cut up to use for parts for my 1972 Celica. I like the idea of a classic autocross car. If I can not get a TOD I will need to get my self a trailer to bing the car out to autocross events. If all this car needs for rust repair to pass safety is rockers I will be pretty excited. For sure the cheapest car I have ever bought!

I spent some time washing the 1973 Celica yesterday. Interesting finds: There was a small wasp nest attached to the bottom of the hood. The rad cap was missing and so some squirrel made a storage unit in the radiator for his winter stash of nuts.

Also kind of cool to have an original Toyota key my 1972 is a recut.

Clean car with all its sweet patina

Pressure washed the trunk out:

engine compartment before and after pressure washing it:

Good windshield and really nice dash pad:

The inside is still a mess That will be this weeks project:

Data plate:

Pulled these parts out of the car:

(I will probably be selling every thing here except the fenders and am/fm Radio. I have 3 am/fm radios now good to have spares.)

Me with the cleaned car and my two 1st gen's, Thinking I will have to call my garage: Dads Toy Garage.

Last edited by white_cross; 10-24-2015 at 08:30 PM.

I pulled the 1973 Celica into the garage, checked the oil it was clean. Added some seafoam to the oil. Cleaned the carb. checked all the wires for damage and connection. put a bit of oil in through the spark plug holes the plugs looked good. I put a breaker bar on the crank pulley it moved very freely. The muffler was gone so I Schmaded (low german for Make it work with what you have) the factory one from my Subaru on with zip ties "because road kill" (I know I watch a lot of Roadkill) It just needs to keep the sound down to test the motor. Stole the battery out of my Mach 1. Hooked up the battery in the Celica. All the lights and wipers etc worked! The motor cranks over very nicely. Just no spark so I am close. Pretty good for a car that was supposed to have no motor or trans. I also looked in the oil fill hole and the rocker arms look like brand new.

So I tested the coil it is shorted out so I ordered a new one today it should be here on Monday. So hopefully it starts on monday.

Some pictures of my exhaust install for your entertainment:

The floor is pretty decent and should clean up nicely:

If you drive by at mid night you just might see this:

Last edited by white_cross; 10-24-2015 at 08:37 PM.