Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlight question

Headlight question

I've been having this problem with my hachi for a while now, the problem is as follows
    All the lights work; side markers, low beams, high beams the driver and passenger headlights popup fine, the problem I'm having is my passenger headlight wont go down?
    I tried plugging my passenger headlight motor into the drivers side and the motor works fine (the spindle rotates when turning on and off the headlight)
    I was told the headlights use three relays: the blue one under the dash, the black one behind the glove box, and the one behind the battery.
    My question is; are the passenger and driver headlights controlled by separate retractor relays? if so which one controls which head light???

I tried replacing the relay behind the battery and both headlights didnt pop up so i put my old relay back in
    anyway
    I found this video and this is the exact problem my car is having

Did you try adjusting the bar/rod that goes from the motor to the headlight? I had this happen earlier this year when I was trying to adjust the panel gap between the bumper and headlight housing. I turned that rod too much one way and it did exactly what the video shows. Backed off the adjustment, and it started working again.

Quote Originally Posted by J268 View Post
    Did you try adjusting the bar/rod that goes from the motor to the headlight? I had this happen earlier this year when I was trying to adjust the panel gap between the bumper and headlight housing. I turned that rod too much one way and it did exactly what the video shows. Backed off the adjustment, and it started working again.
    How do I adjust that?
    Also It might not be that because when I remove the motor from the headlight and leave it plugged in, the spindle will only spin clockwise to the "open" position and when I turn off the light and switch it to the closed position the spindle again spins to the clockwise open position

I was under the impression (which may not be correct!) that the motor only spun one way, and stopped at the up and down positions - like a crankshaft at TDC and BDC.

also, now you know why people do the "sleepy eye" mod - it's because their sh&*t is broken and it's easier than fixing it.

Last edited by Sparkie; 05-24-2015 at 11:14 AM. Reason: learned something

Also, here's the relevant portion of the wiring diagram. you can see that the motors only spin one way, and there's a pair of switches (likely interrupted by a cam inside the module) which help it get it's position down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ae86 headlights.JPG 
Views:	2207 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	14215

Quote Originally Posted by 808islandkid View Post
    How do I adjust that?
    Also It might not be that because when I remove the motor from the headlight and leave it plugged in, the spindle will only spin clockwise to the "open" position and when I turn off the light and switch it to the closed position the spindle again spins to the clockwise open position
    Kind of hard to explain, but when you look at the rod, it's threaded on both ends. Loosen the locking nuts on both ends of the bar (the ones towards the middle of the bar), then you can adjust it by using a wrench on the nut on the middle of the bar. All it does is adjust the whole housing assembly up and down. It's a bit of a pain to get in there with the wrenches.

The motor does only spin one way Sparkie, that is correct. Similar to a wiper motor is has a park ramp that tells it to stop.
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

It be worth opening up the relay and seeing if its corroded or any of the circuits lines broken.
    I had a similar problem before and just touched a piece of wire where i though there was a broken connection and the light dropped.
    So i put a drop of solder on it to bridge it and has been working away.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I been working a lot lately so haven't had time to look at the car but as soon as I get time I'll try checking the adjusting rod as J268 suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Diffwrecker View Post
    It be worth opening up the relay and seeing if its corroded or any of the circuits lines broken.
    I had a similar problem before and just touched a piece of wire where i though there was a broken connection and the light dropped.
    So i put a drop of solder on it to bridge it and has been working away.
    Which relay are you referring to? The one behind the battery or the blue one under the drivers side dash?

When I get free time I'll take a video of the headlight motor spinning because I swear my driver one rotates clockwise going up and counter going down but the passenger only spins clockwise... then again I may have just been stressed so I'll recheck that for sure haha

Also what do all the relays in the headlight circuit do? for example the "light retainer relay", "retractor control relay", and "retract relay"? I've looked around google and the old club4ag but no one seems to know exactly what they do
    Last edited by 808islandkid; 05-27-2015 at 04:39 AM.

retract control relay provides the ground for the light motors and chooses the direction
    retract relay provides the +12 for the light motors and shorts the windings when not in motion (winding short is an electrical brake)

and i have no idea what the light retainer relay does, there's not enough information on the schematic I posted. given that it's a 2 terminal device it likely influences all the lamps at once, so if one works then it's fine.

The one beside the battery!

So a quick recap my original problem was both headlights would turn on and flip up but only the driver headlight would go down not the passenger side
    Quote Originally Posted by Diffwrecker View Post
    The one beside the battery!
    Now I've tried replacing that relay and both headlights turned on but neither of them flipped up (I did buy the relay on ebay so I'm guessing its faulty, I may just buy a new one from toyota just so I know that it for sure works)
    Today I also got a new light retractor control relay (the blue one by the diver steering column) from toyota and now both headlights turn on but only the driver side headlight will flip up and down the passenger headlight wont flip up or down.
    I tried manually raising the passenger headlight and then turning on the lights this caused the driver headlight to flip up and the passenger headlight to flip down then I tried turning the headlights all the way to the 3rd position (headlights flipped up but headlights not illuminated) and manually raising the passenger headlight then illuminating the headlights and again the passenger headlight closed.

So pretty much my new problem is the passenger headlight wont flip up and if I manually raise it and turn on my headlights then the passenger headlight will close.
    Driver side works perfectly though -_-

probably the motor then

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    probably the motor then
    Nah its not the motor I tested my friends one in my car and it wasn't working and to be sure I plugged the passenger motor into the driver socket and the motor spun correctly... Another thing the headlights started doing is when I turn on the lights and then turn them all the way off the driver headlight will flip up and down about 6 times and then either close down all the way or just close half way -_- but if i turn the headlights on then turn it one click off so the running lights are on the driver headlight will close correctly but its only does this up and down flip thing every once in a while

you're right (of course), and you said that and I wasn't paying enough attention - my fault.

check the harness between the retract control relay and the motor, or alternatively check the continuity between left and right headlight for those three pins that are in parallel (3, 5, yellow, blue). inspect the connector (de-pin it) for corrosion and loose wires.

the white-black wires are grounds (solid, unswitched always-ground grounds) check the voltage on those while your significant other (or drinking buddy) cycles the headlights, there could be a bad ground.

you're right (of course), and you said that and I wasn't paying enough attention - my fault.

check the harness between the retract control relay and the motor, or alternatively check the continuity between left and right headlight for those three pins that are in parallel (3, 5, yellow, blue). inspect the connector (de-pin it) for corrosion and loose wires.

the white-black wires are grounds (solid, unswitched always-ground grounds) check the voltage on those while your significant other (or drinking buddy) cycles the headlights, there could be a bad ground.
    noob question but how would I check the continuity of the three parallel pins?

procure yourself a multimeter

then use the beeper or the ohm setting to measure from the left side plug to the right side plug on those pins I specified. the beepers work a little differently on all of them so perhaps it's better to measure the resistance (ohms) of the link. first short the multimeter leads together, get that value in ohms and then subtract that value from whatever measurements you take, it should be a very small value, id like to say <1ohm

also the passenger side headlight motor grounds in a different location than the driver side one: it grounds at the passenger side kick panel junction box. inspect the grounds there for corrosion

also the passenger side headlight motor grounds in a different location than the driver side one: it grounds at the passenger side kick panel junction box. inspect the grounds there for corrosion
    Thanks, I got a multimeter but I meant where do I attach the leads to to test continuity? do I just put the negative to a ground and then put the positive to the 3 wires?
    Also thanks I'll check the ground at the passenger junction box as well

youre testing the resistance of the wire (measured in ohms). remvoe both head light connectors, insert the red lead into pin n of one connector and the black lead into pin n on the other connector. If the resistance is less than an ohm or two we could infer that the wires between them are continuous - "continuity". since the yellow, blue and white-black wires are indicated to be in parallel by the schematic, they should read very low values for the resistance at any of the connection points.