Thread: Redtop on Bluetop?

Redtop on Bluetop?

Hey all,

Just curious, I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs trying to decide how to proceed with this... I just picked up a redtop motor (smallport) and currently have a bigport bluetop in my wagon. I'm trying to decide what route to take... fix the (probably but not 100% sure) spun bearing on the redtop, or pull the head off and just install it on my working and operational bluetop block.

I know I'd lose a bit of compression by going the latter route, but it seems like the quicker easier route.... (because I'm lazy, haha) And who knows, maybe when I pull apart the bottom end of the redtop, I will find something ugly...

Is there anything I'm not considering here? What route would you recommend?
    ---------------------------------
    End.

Pull the red top apart and see what it's like. I would take a red top on full red top electronics any day. The big port doesn't have as high compression, but it also doesn't have a knock sensor or oil squirters either, not to mention a better block over all. It's a difference if almost 40hp! Do the extra work, it's worth it.

Oh, both would be running dual sidedrafts... so the ECU thing wouldn't be an issue. But yea, you're probably right. I should just pull the redtop apart and see how it looks.
    ---------------------------------
    End.

40hp?

Sorry, I was thinking of something else, it's late here... Still it's like 20hp more.