Thread: Which one of these is better? 4age gaskets bearings and rings set

Which one of these is better? 4age gaskets bearings and rings set

Anybody got any first hand experience buying these ? if One is is more expensive with cheaper shipping and one is cheaper with more shipping they both come to about the same price one is $7 more. I'm just gonna ssume the one that is more expensive is the better one and get that one unless anyone says other wise. Or if you know of any better deals please let me know.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/85-87-Toyota-...85db54&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1985-1987-Toy...abf7dc&vxp=mtr

Neither.

Gasket set from ebay is ok, but get bearings from Toyota. I throw those kit bearings in the garbage.

There are 4 sizes or something, you'll need to measure or get numbers off the block stamps. I almost always just reuse the bearings, it's a non wear part as long as it's in good shape.

RETIRED

I've had good luck with no name gasket kits on ebay until this latest one in a 1uz. They seem to blow out cheap gaskets with high oil pressure or something.

Cool thanks Jungle and Dug. So I'll get only gasket set from ebay and if the bearings are mostly reusable then I'll just get 1 bearing from toyota becuz 1 of them is slightly chipped. I don't think it's enough to cause any negative effect but I still don't want to put it back in, might as well change it out now that everything is apart, the other ones looks really good tbh so this is good news cuz it saves me lots of cash

Your going to change one? Are you not the person who was going off about how OCD you were and how properly you were going to do everything?
    BCWORKS

If your going to replace one, why not replace them all for peace of mind? At least you will know they are all new, don't be cheap on an engine rebuild..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    85 Toyota Corolla AE86 GTS Coupe
    98 Toyota 4Runner Limited

Quote Originally Posted by shalbot View Post
    If your going to replace one, why not replace them all for peace of mind? At least you will know they are all new, don't be cheap on an engine rebuild..
    $$$
    The ebay bearings for the whole engine cost as much as one rod bearing from Toyota.

The way I see it, if they are in good shape they will have never been touched by anything other than oil pressure. In almost every case I've come across they are either perfect or ****ed, no in between. Why not just reuse them. Maybe I'm wrong?

RETIRED

Why not just plastigauge them Devin?

Then you don't have to guess whether they are good to reuse, or getting loose.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    Why not just plastigauge them Devin?

Then you don't have to guess whether they are good to reuse, or getting loose.
    Ya, I do.

RETIRED

Hello Warren, good evening to you senhor. I am pretty OCD bro so I want things done right if they should be done right and was going to replace them all but according to Jungle the ebay ones are **** and the ones in the engine are endlessly re-suable unless they get ****ed , so I was just taking him for his word. He def knows more then me cuz this is the first time I've opened the darn thing. Does someone dispute his claim? If so let's hear it lol. Gasket set and new pistons rings are on their way, I will check out the prices at Toyota for the bearings
    Last edited by GTyeS!; 06-02-2015 at 08:06 PM. Reason: forever lol

Is Taiho any good? Says it's made in Japan and it ships from Canada, the price is pretty decent yo, and it's not from ebay lol

http://www.autopartsway.ca/partlist....in-bearing-set

http://www.autopartsway.ca/partlist....od-bearing-set

If the ones in the engine are original toyota and they are amazingly reusable then it might actually be better to reuse them like Jungle said instead of buying a set like this. I don't mind reusing them if they are durable

Quote Originally Posted by GTyeS! View Post
    Is Taiho any good? Says it's made in Japan and it ships from Canada, the price is pretty decent yo, and it's not from ebay lol

http://www.autopartsway.ca/partlist....in-bearing-set

http://www.autopartsway.ca/partlist....od-bearing-set

If the ones in the engine are original toyota and they are amazingly reusable then it might actually be better to reuse them like Jungle said instead of buying a set like this. I don't mind reusing them if they are durable
    Toyota bearings come in very specific sizes to match your journals... 3 sizes of "standard size" to dial your oil clearances. Aftermarket bearings come in one size. Crank bearings are the cheapest thing in a rebuild. Go Toyota.

I think Taiho is an OE manufacturer of bearings. It's not the quality that's the problem -- it's the sizes. This is if you want to "dial" your oil clearances.... Like Toyota does when they build the engine to begin with. Many (most) don't bother. All this sh*t is debatable to some -- and religion to others.

Read a Factory Service Manual... not a Haynes.
    Last edited by b-rock; 06-03-2015 at 09:51 AM.
    $28 Bronze T50 shifter bushings HERE