Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ae i.o.u

Ae i.o.u

Why not update you guys on my latest corolla?

Long story made slightly less long:

A while back a friend wanted to get into drifting, so we found him a dead kouki sr5 hatchback behind a local repair shop for $500, and I sold him a complete gts swap for $1500. The car had been sitting so long paint cans had exploded all over it, droppn loads!

Over two days we (I) put the car together and got it running and driving. Just a boring GTS with tired bluetop and 2 way lsd, blown homemade coilovers.

At the time I was driving an 87 hatch pretty much finished up, running 4AG sidedraft DCOE40 setup and whatnot. It was fun but I wanted to try a new platform of car so I parted it out and had planned to build something bigger, like a sedan of some sort.

After we built the corolla for my friend, he took the car and parked it, never drove it. He was focusing on BMW M3 and EVO VIII so I can't really blame him. I ended up buying the car back for $1500 total. I sold all the gts stuff and basically was starting over again with a bare shell for no money invested. Somehow I was back into a ****ing corolla project.

I bought a cheap 92 LS400 because it had a dead starter. Pulled the eng/trans and scrapped the rest.

Pillaged a 7.5" rearend from a Toyota LE toaster van that was at the firehall near my moms' place.
    I had just scrapped my 4th gen hilux 2wd so I used the W55 trans and driveshaft from that.

Slapped the SR5 stuff back under the car so I could tow it down to BCWORKS to have it built by Warren and Joel (Pitobread). I dropped everything off, said what i wanted and left it to them for like a year while I was away working up north. They tinkered on it during their spare time in between building countless other cars.

Joel took the top end of the engine apart, ported and polished the heads, planed them down for more compression, fresh water pump, timing belt, new gaskets and seals, new starter, yada yada.

I will continue this after a bite to eat.
    Last edited by Dugwillis; 06-08-2015 at 10:28 AM.

Most of these photos are just stolen from Warren, but I doubt he minds... I'm basically making this thread to promote BCWorks.

Manual rack install

I had purchased Xcessive manufacturing engine and trans mounts. They were poorly manufactured and they sent me an E7 trans xmember instead of corolla one. So BCworks just modified an auto SR5 xmember to work, and modified the engine mounts to push the engine further back in the chassis. They also changed them to fit on cusco rubber mounts instead of just being hardmounted. Xcessive never responded to my emails, don't buy their ****ty products.

They chopped up the exhaust manifolds to fit, not pretty but they work fine. Indyspeed headers will be an upgrade eventually, but I'm really happy with the exhaust setup on the car. Sweet 2.5" to 3" Y setup, flex pipes, bracket made to hang off the tranny, they bought a 3" stainless exhaust for a chevy pickup for cheap at lordco. Chopped it up, and made it fit extremely well. You can drag the frame rails of the car without damaging anything really. It's got a single muffler, with a sweet plug in silencer/downturn pipe for when you want it to be quiet.

Last edited by Dugwillis; 06-04-2015 at 01:14 PM.

BCworks has a jig set up to convert your measly 6.7 into a beefy 7.5 so when you go for more power get them to do this for you.

4 links/spring perches/panhard mount installed, sandblasted, powdercoated, welded diff, new brake lines etc. Glorious.

BCworks Traction bar thingies, much better than fruity traction brackets.

Around this time I bought back a zenki GTS ae86 coupe from my brother. He hadn't maintained it, which caused engine to lose compression, transmission wear, random gremlins...

I swapped in new suspension, drivetrain/engine/trans, but the car still had intermittent running issues, probably a fuel pump voltage issue or something. Couldn't be bothered so I sold it. Apparently it's in washington state these days.

Oh wow nice bad ass rear end i was just wondering why people dont use those rear ends more often.. Is that from a 2wd pickup?

Those centrelines still around?
    OldSkoolCustoms

More old toyotas then common sense

Quote Originally Posted by DexMan View Post
    Oh wow nice bad ass rear end i was just wondering why people dont use those rear ends more often.. Is that from a 2wd pickup?
    Nope LE Van. Same thing besides leafsprings and 5 lug bolt pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolcool View Post
    Those centrelines still around?
    Yeah they're on your car. Only had a pair.
    Last edited by Dugwillis; 06-05-2015 at 07:45 AM.

That's where I got them aha
    OldSkoolCustoms

More old toyotas then common sense

mmmmm 8 cylinder.....

This looks like some top notch fab work, keep it up!

It's already been kept up!

Dug is just finally sharing it with us. Cool car. Nice stuff from BCWorks.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

visean is offline Yo, troubled night in the John
    Yes! Very cool car!

Once the guys got the engine sitting pretty in the car, they realized intake mani to hood clearance wasn't great (they didn't do any of that lame subframe spacing nonsense).

So they did the complete opposite of what a lazy ass like me would do. And that's why I chose them to build the car for me.

They cleaned up the threads on the Xcessive oil filter relocation deal which was horribly made. Now the oil filter resides where the battery used to be, more or less. An oil pressure sender sits on top feeding a mechanical autometer gauge for peace of mind.

The boys removed all the extraneous crap from the engine, TRAC system, emissions, they tossed the front timing cover plate from the engine and fabbed up a new deal. That probably saved 30 lbs at least.
    Made a cool swirl pot thing with alum piping for the radiator as well as an alum replacement for the plastic thermostat housing. Power steering gone, simple alt bracket and one belt off the main pulley. You can see the trans being prepped for install in the background with the 1uzfeswapkit stuff.

Last edited by Dugwillis; 06-08-2015 at 10:29 AM.

wow! awesome job BCworks!

Agreed^^ love it looking awesome

Yep, BCWorks!

Was getting ahead of myself there, the timeline of this build is like a crappy movie, but just try to immerse yourself in the experience.

A better shot of how this lump sits.

Warren ordered a bigass cheap generic canadian made oval track radiator, and modified it to suit the 1uz corolla. Cool mounting bars ensued.

I gotta boner! Oh my god it's in, Mclovin.

mothaf'n double post
    Last edited by Dugwillis; 06-06-2015 at 10:02 AM.

Joel did all the wiring, and I mean all the wiring. I didn't include any harnesses, they had to run around to find solutions to all this nonsense. Major props. Don't be a fool and bring a car to be built without all the parts.
    Odyssey battery relocated to behind the front passenger seat, with a secret cutoff. Shhh.

Most impressive!

BCWorks designed this brake booster delete plate, which uses datsun 620 manual master for my car. Now you can buy one yourself!

Once everything was basically mocked up and fitted, the man Vrand came over and painted the eng bay and rad bars etc. Great job!