Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TE72, Resurrection project !

TE72, Resurrection project !

* Warning i like posting pictures haha *

Hi guys !

I'm on the forum since couple of years, i've own somes 86' in the past but they are all gone now.

Last year a friend of mine give me a call and told me that i absolutely need to go take a look in a scrapyard near my town. The next day when i show up in the yard.. wow a nice te72 Liftback ( 80', auto ) bone stock, with a lot of grease under it and a lot of extra parts stacked up in boxes in the car !

Couples of minutes later, it was on the towing, on the way home !! Haha

Then 2 or 3 months later, time have change, i bought a new house and i've lost the desire of making something with it... till i go to the 8/6 meet in Mississauga with my friend and its levin...

So 2 weeks later the project begin !

The day i found her :

Damm nice keys !!! :P

Brand new filter !! ( DEC-87 50 000kms )

The place she sits t'ill i was completely set in my new house !!

This is my ghetto garage jukebox, let this project begin now !!

Nahhh never parked under a fir... ( Without talking about all the pinuts shell flying around the garage the first time i've get the 3tc running )

around 1/8'' to 1/4'' thick...

I do some research on the car and to make it short, the car is parked in the same spot t'ill 88'. The mechanics guy who was owning it, has start her once a year, do a ''rustproofing'' treatment and get it back at the same spot. So one day he was sickened of being asked to sell the car and call the scrapyard...that day a friend a of mine see the car arrived there and call me !!

So the game plan :

Throw out all the old stuff and replace it... but i aint touching the exterior cuz i really like the ''rotten banana!'' look!! :P The bad news in this plan is... i've learn bodywork at school but i'm really not a mechanics

Magic...

Then we start cleaning it to see what is under that 27 years old grease ...

Overall i'm really happy of what the car look like, so i'm looking to all possible swapp then i remember myself..even if i've own 12 or 13 different toyota, i've never had a 20v...

And when your'e patient the chance will smile you one day...so i've started to get parts and converted my te72 in a 86' !

solidifying the subframe, and new parts

and its continue...

This is my first complete swapp, so i'm trying to get it all simple and easy but...first problem, the steering column...

In the fact that i'm converting her as a 86' i really want to get this steering box in the garbage. But i want to stay in a ''oem'' or so look... so my goal is to get a ae71 column ( wich is pretty damm rare here in Qu?bec )...

It was a nice p/s :P

Then, a little ''test-fit'' of my old wheels that i used to run on a gts in the past

After that, it begin to be really funny.. hahaha, don't judge me, it was a great deal ! God damm, its a chance i've ripping her apart the next day... poor corolla!

Now you will understand !

I only got the time to lay some rubber on the ground, before i get it far in the backyard, in case of my neighbor make a complain for visual pollution haha

Nice rice dude...

Even if its really ugly he give me good number in the compression test and in the leak test, so it worth the trouble of get it back home !

So i put back my liftback in the garage for the winter, but before, a little shot of cleaning

Oups, another deal... why not hehe !!

This one is a pos.. so i dont really care..

Full coilover setup u kno !! ... nahhhh just a bad absorber !!

But at the end i will got some nice apex coil..

And a ''men'' pedal set !

Gangster mode... no coils, it will be a nice storage outside !!

Then it begin to slow down a bit, its nice to have a garage but it nicer to have tools to go withit ! And i knew i will have a lot of pieces to restore so i bought couples of ''nice to have'' things.. like a powdercoat set up, a new compressor, a sandblast booth and paint rack...
    So the project wans't going foward for the moment but, later it will be much easier !

I bought a lot of new parts, like the calipers, discs, pads, bearings, balljoints, tie-rods, bushings, front shocks, brakes likes, masters.... My mind tell me, do it but do it only once !!

A little beak for christmas !

A friend of mine do me some bushing adapter for the mr2 rack to my 86' subframe

New lines !

Nice powder man !! Haha found it under the passenger seat !

Get out the old crap !

And say hello to the new ones !

Nice, it just took me 3 hours to get this **** out !! There was a hitch who was bolt to the floor and welded at every 6 inches man.. right under the gas tank !! Thanks previous owner!

All the brakes lines are now done !

Some color test for the underbody parts

And this is my final choice for the engine bay !

A nice t-50 with a new bearing and a nice mount, only need a backplate a couples of accessories

A little test fit :

All cleaned up and new rods, and shim

My first powder batch received !! Can't wait to spray that !

New parts received :
    Brakes lines, motor mounts, shocks, ball joints and some misc !!

some hub love !

And a nice parts i bought today from an old friend !

Yeah i know, a better one on the list for next year...

And when i remove the cover, i found something weird...

after taking all the grease away, theres a brand new lines under it haha

Couple hours of grinder later

And my friend miller come take a beer hehe...

Just need to cleaned this now and prep for the new paint in the bay !
    Last edited by joe87; 06-07-2015 at 04:13 PM.

The engine bay is done :

The front part of the floor wasn't in the inital plan for this year but..once everything is disassemble..:

Yes, ''drains plugs '' were really bad ! Anyway i've cut down all the cancer and i've tried to mold down the best i can my plates...not to bad for a guy in his little garage with nothing else than a bench vice and a hammer...

Its all sealed and zinc primed + build primed. I was going to put it yellow, but i want to save time a bit the summer is going to pass very fast... so i put it black for the moment !

Then i buff all the wheel house because the spot weld of the enginge bay needs to be primed and repaint...It was thick as hell and really hard to remove !

Here is an exemple of my powder coated parts !

Old car needs an ''old'' color ! :P

For the front suspenssion i've decided to go all new, i'm not a mechanics so i'll do it only once for a while !!

And the samething for the rear brakes, all new... but yes the drum brake will stay there for this year !

Between all this i've try to custom a shaft for the steering column but it was not perfect...So i skip this step for a couple of weeks and then...this show up on the interweb..

What a deal, 83' 4ac with a rack h?h? !! ( this is an other pos ) but spare parts its always nice

So i've take the steering column from the ae71 wagon, it's not bolt on but its really near ! I juste ovalize holes in the firewall cover and hit a little bit the hole in the firewall to let the shaft turn alright ! Normally a supra mk3 intermediate shaft is needed but in my case i already have something that i just modified a bit !

I replace my throttle cable for a Ae86 gts one !

And during all that i received 2 nice parts from battle G !

Here is a pict from the gangster sport coupe trans haha... the previous owner had fun i think... lol

And this is a little familly pict h?h?. The 2 parts car and my daily in the back !

Dude this is awesome. Keep up the good work.
    BCWORKS

im not even sure what i just looked at it, but its a lot of good stuff

Things are happening.

Also your engine bay makes me think of tennis balls.
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

Haha, thanks guys ! Yeah i know its a lot of stuff and pictures but i hate posting everyday ! And it all started october 2014..

Sorry for my so so english but i'm trying the best i can !

* For the bay, its just the picture quality cuz its not fluorescent at all

So much work! Looking good man.

RETIRED

This looks great! I love seeing junkyard rescues!

Keep it up man, looking forward to seeing more progress

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Going at everything the right way and putting in work! Good job! This should be a cool rig. I like the sandblasting booth idea.

Someone tried to weld the vvti in the advanced position?
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Thanks guys, good comments or ideas are always appreciated !

Yeah this little blastbooth an powder coat kit save me a lot of time and makes my parts more durable !

I really don't know clay72, have no idea of why this pulley have a spark on it...

Just a small update :

Now i've tried for the first time to put the motor in !

Now the bad :

- The fan sensor and the thermostat housing are hitting the firewall so i'll buy a water conversion kit !

- And the alternator in the 20v i bought was modified to be in the driver side to let space for the p/s pump... so i need a new alternator bracket to mount it back in passenger side and save a strap !

- The rod in i received was for a fwd, so they are way to long -_-

- my pocket are empty haha

So here is where i'm at now !

Looks awesome!
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

How much was that Lip? From Battle G? Who is that?

Thank you, Looks awesome.
    Bryan
    DK Moderator

Ohhh sorry its called : Battle garage *

Around $85US before tx and shipping !

Thanks a lot for the comments guy, really appreciated !