Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RA29 V8 Swap with IRS (77 Celica GT Liftback)

this is really cool to see. i was talkin to sheepers over on the 1stgen forum. it seems pretty strait forward and its on my to do list but right now getting my 1uz to fire up is being a PITA. I think i may have a defective ECU. the engine will clear the firewall witn absolutely no issues if you want it to. im really hoping for lots of pics as i just picked up a mk3 supra and i do plan on pulling the rear sub frame to do this same thing.
    77 RA29 Celica 1UZ almost done again
    72 Ra21 Celica project

mmm, nice fab work!

hey Drr999,

Yeah from what I see (so far) the MA70 IRS is not as intense as Sheepers GTR rear sub. The mounting points are very close to the RA29's frame rails...you only have to contend with the extra width (wheel to wheel). Since none of the tires/rim I plan to run will fit the spare tire tub, (and it's so rusted) I'm cutting it out so that I can have one straight Cross-beam to anchor the MK3 sub to the RA29 rails...If you do plan keeping the rear tub, you will have to weld in angles, which I find is tricky based on the geometry to try and keep this area super strong...(ie: lots of welding)...I plan to also add extra reinforcing (probably overkill), In case I want to do some "dukes of hazard" stuff

One thing to mention:
    I haven't gotten to it yet, but some of the lines (brake lines, etc... ) need to be relocated due to the fact that they are in the way of the Cross-beam...not a big deal, but worth mentioning.

and yeah I dread the whole wiring the 1UZ to the RA29 thing...So far the IRS is pretty easy in comparison to that...any info on wiring would help heeps!
    Last edited by RA29V8; 06-29-2015 at 09:35 PM.

DRR999, how do I register on 1stgenclelica.com...I registered there back in 07, when I bought my other RA29, and went back and I was logged off for whatever reason and there is no way to contact the administrator or try re-registering again???
    Last edited by RA29V8; 06-29-2015 at 10:04 PM.

If/when i do another irs it'll be the sub frame from a sc or ls or mkiv supra (all sameish) just had to pass on a 300$ craigslist deal but damn nice fully adjustable and beefy!

Koodos to your subframe swap- it can be tricky but the weight in the rear will be good for balancing it all out will be a badass celica!

I have a spare 1uz intake- I'll make you a custom aluminum 4 barrel carb intake if your want? (Early UZ) -have all the edis stuff toooo.... Common you know you want that unbridled scream of a carb and the simplicity mixed with modern engine design

I'll be interested in your front to rear weight when you got her up and driving - keep going looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by RA29V8 View Post
    DRR999, how do I register on 1stgenclelica.com...I registered there back in 08, when I bought my other RA29, and went back and I was logged off for whatever reason and there is no way to contact the administrator or try re-registering again???
    Ya another buddy is having issues getting registered there. try emailing santos celica73916@yahoo.com he is the board administrator.
    77 RA29 Celica 1UZ almost done again
    72 Ra21 Celica project

hey Thanks for the email...hopefully Santos will be able to get me straightened out on 1stgen

oK, finished cutting everything that I needed for now, anyway...(with the exception to the shock towers...that comes later). I cut out the tub tonight, along with the high points of the pan rod anchor, which didn't clear the cross-member.

As you can see from the pic, the cross-member doesn't reside too much into the spare tire tub location, but I wanted it cut out since I wasn't going to use it...

now there is nothing in the way to align the cross-member...so position you see here is exactly where it will sit (+/- 1 or 2 mm)

drivers side (left):

Passenger side (right):

so now that this is completed....next comes welding, sealing and reinforcing...that will probably take a bit of time to do...stay tuned

The car still needs the a jack stand to support the car due to the suspension not being there...but I'm really happy with the finished product. This was a lot easier than I thought it would be to install...suspension is next.
    Notice how high the front sits without the engine in place...once the engine sits in the cradle front end drops quite a bit...probably around 6"....with the new rear end, I am able to go with an aggressive deep rim...

after years of trying to find a nice set of deep dish wheels, I was finally able to locate a set of JDM SSR 3 piece rims, which will complete the look I am after. The Rear rims are 18x10+37 and front wheels are 17x9+29...I'm hoping that I will be able to make the 17's fit after the hub conversion...will keep everyone posted...
    The car still needs the a jack stand to support the car due to the suspension not being there...but I'm really happy with the finished product. This was a lot easier than I thought it would be to install...suspension is next
    Last edited by RA29V8; 01-01-2016 at 02:38 PM.

HERE THEY ARE
    Last edited by RA29V8; 12-26-2015 at 08:36 PM.

the Rear rims are 18x10+37 and front wheels are 17x9+27...I'm hoping that I will be able to make the 17's fit after the hub conversion...will keep everyone posted...

so the next phase to commence in a few months is the rear suspension. I decided to go with a set of JDM Tom's Coilovers so that I can adjust the rear end to accomodate the 18x10 rear wheels...
    Last edited by RA29V8; 01-10-2016 at 11:46 AM.

How did you decide your subframe mounting height? Where in the suspension travel is the car sitting in that picture? Where is the rear instant center now? Just asking because the install looks... simplistic.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

install was far from simplistic...the entire rear end needs to be reworked to accept the Supra subframe...if you look at the pictures in the earlier posts much of the rear needs to be cut along with a cross beam installed to accept the subframe...I will post more pics once I am able to pull the car out of storage and begin to build the strut tower forms...as indicated in my previous write up, car is not sitting naturally since there is no suspension in or fabricated as of yet...the only portion completed to this point is the subframe mounting supports

I think he means did you actually calculate/ use geometry to determine the mounting height?
    1979 Cressida JZX3 VVTi

2econd Heart Garage

if you look at the pictures in the earlier posts much of the rear needs to be cut along with a cross beam installed to accept the subframe
    That would fall under under simple.

Like he ^ said there is a lot of geometry and physics that go into making suspension work properly. It looks like all that was done was cutting on the stock car to make space, so I'm wondering what math went into it because i am sure you did it. Maybe it was a simple install and everything is located right. Sometimes you get lucky and it is that simple. I just want to know more about your process. My friend is putting an S13 rear subframe into his 280z right now and cutting the car to make space is the by far the easiest part. He could just fab some mounts and bolt it in but he is taking the time to make sure that the subframe is at the right height to make sure that he has the range of travel he wants for his desired ride height, the angle of the subframe itself it at the right longitudinal angle to give the right range of squat adjustability, The subframe is square to the car so that it drive straight, and the mounting points are all tied into the unibody in key locations. I'm not trying to bust your balls. Everyone here wants to see every body else's projects be successful.

Where is the suspension at in it's range of travel in that picture?
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

yes I misunderstood your question...yes the geometry was measured by myself and my friend who is a "Nissan master tech"...I'll post more when I am able to put up more pics in spring...

Hey, here is a video of independent suspension being installed in a 77 Toyota Celica!

https://youtu.be/gAo4adji0SM

Check it out. Cheers,

Adam
    Josh Danish is a Scammer