Thread: 1UZ Dual throttle setup

1UZ Dual throttle setup

because racecar.

But the single throttle cable goes to both throttle bodies? How does this do anything?

Throttle pedal connects to bellcrank on left. Then cable actuates the right one
    Owned too many different modified toyotas to list LOL

Well I'm no scientist. But I think adding another throttle body might let more air into the engine!

Only if the throttle body was a restriction in the first place, an engine is an air pump and can only suck in as much as the biggest restriction will allow and on a 1uz is the cams and lower intake manifold. The stock throttle body diameter under boosted conditions will easily support 1000hp. Other than for the symmetry and cosmetic look there is zero reason for this
    Owned too many different modified toyotas to list LOL

Steve, you had mentioned before that the lower intake is a big restriction, can you elaborate - perhaps this is something I can clean up with a dremel and some elbow grease?

From having one off, there is certainly a lots of port matching you could do from lower to head.

Cams will still suck forever though. Give you that nice 4000 rpm plateau.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

I bet the second throttle would give you a little gains. Just because it isn't the biggest restriction doesn't mean it can't be improved. I bet it would sound sweet.
    BCWORKS

I've heard of a few guys going to Q45 TBs etc and getting small gains, but ya the big restriction is the dumpy cams, lower intake/head joint.

In Toyota, we rust.

1UZ Dual throttle setup

Cam scissor gear adjustable- change timing to move that 4000 to 6000 and your golden- spin to 7.5- the lower manifold is easy to improve with a die grinder- the power above 4000 isn't that bad - probably be ok with a cam phasing? The UZ is a honey of a motor- but to follow my disposable long block theory its needs stock internals - that way a blown motor is just a grand (after selling all external stuff and install) and a quick and easy affair

I wish i could see what those guys do for prep in aus for dirt circle track- iirc they go with a giant tunnel ram intake and carb with a chev dizzy suppose to do 400+ hp but i wonder how

Dual throttles have been proven in testing to be far less effective at moving large volumes of air when compared to a single larger throttle. Just adds weight, complications, and noise.

Leave it to wankers and Nissan with versions of the G.

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

Part of the potential problems I could see with twins would be that the intake would be optimized for flow from a single throttle from that side only. And there are times when a slight restriction can be useful, it's the basic theory behind VVT/VTEC/TVIS, restrict flow to increase air velocity.

If you want more power I'd go with what everyone else is saying and invest in a set of cams

1UZ Dual throttle setup

Crazy UZ motor here!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=4ol6E_DSdBc

Specs in comments 470hp 9500rpm would be wild in that aluminum car
    Last edited by DexMan; 07-08-2015 at 10:25 AM.