Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No power fuel pump, help!

So the Strap to body bolts came out nice and easy, either the penetrant did a great job of they weren't stuck. The threads are clean so I'd say they weren't stuck. The driver side strap pivots nicely on the pivot pin, the passenger strap won't pivot at all. The pins won't budge either. Since the straps will be replaced I bent the passenger side out of the way. Coming down was fun. Removing the two rubber fuel lines was simple, but the other line, steel, not so much. it snapped off trying to loosen what I assume is a nut or something. Hopefully not a huge fix, it snapped off on the tank side as opposed to under the car side of the nut/thing. Here's a photo of the tank

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11721436_10155836308480008_1374364762_n.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	14451

The wetness near the lines and pump is rust penetrant to try and get everything else off, the screws are seized and i stripped one trying to get it off. The tank itself is rusty but solid still. Maybe a replacement if it is easy to find!

Leads to my questions, what was that line I broke, and how easy is it to fix? Also how on earth do I get those screws out?

Name:	11756533_10155839981615008_1165040054_n.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	14452

I removed the driver seat, you would never believe this interior was from 87 0_0

Use vice grips on the screws, just use a dremel to cut off the fuel line where it broke and attach a hose

Quote Originally Posted by Jehuty77 View Post
    Use vice grips on the screws, just use a dremel to cut off the fuel line where it broke and attach a hose
    I'm geting a new tank, pump, sending unit, strap, so that end will be all fine. However...

Name:	11778176_10155841824325008_62706670_n.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	14453

How do I get that end apart, It is stuck and have no leverage upside down under the car!

Use a dremel with a cutting disk to make a clean cut, then attach a rubber hose.

Name:	11778176_10155841824325008_62706670_n.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	14454

Use a dremel with a cutting disk to make a clean cut, then attach a rubber hose.
    What if I told you while trying to unscrew it got pinched and broke already? so it's almost flush with the small nut...

I cant remeber which parts of the remaining line are steel but can you chop it on the other side of the big nut and just run a longer hose, OR chop it further up the line and just run a longer hose?

go to home depot and buy a tube cutter for $12, make sure you buy the smallest one. That what plumbers use to get perfect smooth cuts on any type of tubing, its worth getting if you have some lines to make
    85 Toyota Corolla AE86 GTS Coupe
    98 Toyota 4Runner Limited

I cant remeber which parts of the remaining line are steel but can you chop it on the other side of the big nut and just run a longer hose, OR chop it further up the line and just run a longer hose?
    On the other side of the big nut is metal under the rubber hose, it is also free spinning right where you can see the rusty part meets the shiny area. so If I trim back that rubber slightly, make a perfect cut straight across and have a rubber hose between that part and the tube from the tank with those clips that'll suffice?

EDIT*

I don't think it is steel under the rubber hose, as it flexes and moves around?
    Last edited by Scuubaroo; 07-22-2015 at 01:12 PM.

Correct - Not steel...plastic/rubber with steel fittings

Once you drop the tank, that flex hose comes off the sending unit easy.

Also: You may be able to cut that old (flex) line and just use the fitting to clamp the (new "longer") hose, which can then thread onto the new sending unit hard line.
    Last edited by Prodah-G; 07-23-2015 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Also:

Results are in, the fitting came loose. Countless attempts with WD40 rust penetrant before buying Sea Foam rust penetrant ($12 a bottle, most expensive I can find) it finally came loose. Next I'm on to the tank straps. One pivoted instantly and I was able to finally remove that pin yesterday, however the strap from the other is stuck to one side of the bracket hanging from the body not allowing pivot or movement of the pin.

Straps are off, cleaned and resprayed to keep rust away until full restoration, I just want it running. New tank, straps, pump and such should be here tomorrow. However, which rubber line goes on which tube. I was too excited to get the tank off I never labeled or even payed attention for that matter!

two different diameters: big and small (5/16 and 1/4" i believe)

Big one you broke- fuel send from tank to engine
    big one with regular hose clamps (not threaded fittings) - fuel return from engine to tank
    little one - vapour line to evap canister.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    two different diameters: big and small (5/16 and 1/4" i believe)

Big one you broke- fuel send from tank to engine
    big one with regular hose clamps (not threaded fittings) - fuel return from engine to tank
    little one - vapour line to evap canister.
    So the two rubber ones are noticeably different sizes including the tubes from the tank?
    Hopefully putting it back in today if they get me the right tank! (Y)

Tank Part: Spectra Premium TO1B
    Strap Part: Spectra Premium ST79

Use a measuring caliper to find out the line sizes and then get appropriate sized rubber lines.
    Last edited by Jehuty77; 07-31-2015 at 06:16 AM.

Just went to check out the parts, all looks good. Skeptical on the filler neck however I am going to size them up before I commit to taking it home. Now, the part I snapped wasn't able to be replaced apparently so they used a new setup. I have to cut off the fitting on the cars end. Will that expose a rubber hose that can slip over a fitting?

I'm running Spectra Premium TO1B in one of my cars with no issues.

The filler neck is different then factory but still works fine.

I'm not sure what your referring to regarding the "New setup", you'd have to post pics

You can always take it to a mechanic.

Not to be anti-DIY or anti-learning, but the kinds of questions you are asking make me wonder if you should be messing with the fuel system. It's a big safety item.

Now, the part I snapped wasn't able to be replaced apparently so they used a new setup. I have to cut off the fitting on the cars end. Will that expose a rubber hose that can slip over a fitting?
    What? Who are they? What is the new setup? Sounds like a mafia term.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Quote Originally Posted by clay72 View Post
    You can always take it to a mechanic.

Not to be anti-DIY or anti-learning, but the kinds of questions you are asking make me wonder if you should be messing with the fuel system. It's a big safety item.
    ^ this
    85 Toyota Corolla AE86 GTS Coupe
    98 Toyota 4Runner Limited

Fuel pump relay, or open circuit relay. Is that located in the passenger kick panel area near the glove box?