Thread: TE72 What The Hell am I Doing Build Thread

TE72 What The Hell am I Doing Build Thread

The fact that Dorikaze is still around blows my mind, I remember joining this site when I was 16 back in 2005 and having bought my first AE86 corolla.

Unfortunately, that car never panned out between being a poor high school student and being focused on my primary lust at the time (Pontiac Turbo Firefly wut wut represent! ), so I eventually sold it instead of turning it into my rally-dream car.

Fast forward to today being an older (but probably less mature) adult and I impulse bought this:

I've been daily driving boring vehicles the last little while and its been starting to wear on me. A car guy is not meant to daily a duramax and enjoy it In 2011 I had a 1995 JDM STi that was amazing, but the deal of a lifetime came up to acquire my (eventual) first rally car. So I sold the 95 STi and went down to the states to pick up the rally Talon. I needed a truck and trailer, so I bought those, limiting fun summer toy cash. After crashing (rolling off a cliff) the rally talon ($$$$), I picked up a 2002 WRX rally car with a completely V8 spec C STi swap ($$$$$$$$) and raced that. After blowing up a clutch, and then crashing into a tree in the winter of 2012, costing more $$$$$$$ to fix, 2013 was deemed a "break" year. And then in 2014, life was pretty hectic so I didn't do a single event. I've always said that owning a race/rally car will cause you to want to have a completely boring daily driver, and that's exactly what happened to me... for a while. Money, time, and ability has made the racing schedule much easier along with life in general, which leads me to now...

This past summer the itch has been strong for a toy that can just be driven, not worrying about perfection for a race or soul crushing boredom due to a high utility vs fun factor like the truck. I've been browsing Kijiji on and off, but I really wanted something CHEAP and COOL. A tough combo to come by in this province. As the picture above shows, I think I found what I was looking for!

The car has a 3TC in it rebuilt with hi-comp pistons and dual weber sidedrafts that have actually been PROPERLY SETUP. It sings! Great bottom end too, love the 3TC. I had a 1981 te72 probably 8 years ago that was a piece of crap, but did a couple of TSD's in it for fun and really liked the car. This car is a better version of that in every way!

I don't really know what I am going to do with the car. It was in a hit and run that wrecked the passenger side taillight and pushed the rear valance in a little, so that needs to get fixed. It definitely has some tidying up to be done. I'll either clean the car up reaalllllly well and keep the 3TC with sidedrafts... or it gets a 2.0L ecoboost swap next year. I've been seeing a lot of success with them in the states in various cars, and Ford Racing now offers a standalone control and wiring kit for them. Who knows, I certainly don't! I'm just excited to be bombing around in this Corolla, it makes me extremely happy

I remember when this car came up for sale, I thought it was pretty sweet!
    Welcome Back!
    Mat 83 GTS Hatch 87 GTSR5 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post
    If only I put the same amount of effort into my schooling as I do my car. Education is important, but racecar is importanter.
    Stuff I'm Selling
    IG Mattyballz86

Wait, is this the one that was up for sale for $1,000,000 ?
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

Looks sick
    http://i.imgur.com/whGaEBG.jpg

Rotate when Irate

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoQuinn View Post
    Wait, is this the one that was up for sale for $1,000,000 ?
    It was for sale for approximately a gazillion dollars (aka $5500). Then it was rear ended, and the owner just wanted it gone. He had it advertised for $3500 at the beginning of the week. We ended up agreeing on $2300, which to me is a great deal for a rust free anything, let alone a corolla And boy does it put a smile on my face, this thing is hilarious, couldn't stop running it up to redline

Quote Originally Posted by Spence View Post
    Looks sick
    Thanks Spence! I think it looks sick too, can't wait to do a little work to it. I really only plan on lowering it maybe an inch if possible, and putting on 1/4" to 1/2" spacers to get the wheels to fill the fender wells a bit better. Other than that, my primary focus will be fixing the backside and making sure there are no rust issues/they get taken care of

Nice! yup thats the same one for sure.
    looks like the rear damnage is super managable so thats a bonus.
    There was two of these at pick and pull a few months ago and you coulda snagged the tail light off one of them forsure. More will show up im sure.
    If only I put the same amount of effort into my schooling as I do my car. Education is important, but racecar is importanter.
    Stuff I'm Selling
    IG Mattyballz86

Well I'm glad that guy didn't end up getting 3TC Garage prices. I think you might have been bugging me about taillights on facebook. Car is neat.
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoQuinn View Post
    Well I'm glad that guy didn't end up getting 3TC Garage prices. I think you might have been bugging me about taillights on facebook. Car is neat.
    I haven't talked to anyone about anything for this car yet besides what I've posted... but since you brought it up, DO YOU HAVE TAILIGHTS??!

My limit was $2500. Any higher than that, and there were plenty of other cool cars I could buy. It was a very different buying experience, not wanting any car in particular. This just worked out really well, I am really falling for this car (good replacement for the ex which I dumped in the spring lol)

I am awful at this build thread stuff, I need to remember to take pictures

Fiddled with the idle adjustment screws on the webers, carbs are so easy to tune its not even funny. Car idles really great when hot now, its actually smooth! Also cleaned the re-usable filters and oiled them, as well as did a general cleanup (don't want to say "detailing" as there is still goobers here and there) around the intake assembly so I could find any leaks easier. Seemed like all of the carb to intake runner nuts were loose so I tightened the **** out of everything. Car seems to run better now!

The header collector gasket to the rest of the exhaust was blown out and the bolts were loose, so I went to JBs and got a new gasket. Installed that last night, along with welding on an additional exhaust hanger as the front flange was being used as a support which puts WAY too much stress on the header.

Car is much less ghetto-bucket sounding and only the good noises. Unfortunately the header gasket needs to be replaced as some of the bolts came loose and blew that gasket out So at lower rpms you get the distinct ticking of a header leak.

Final fun fact, I thought I ran the car out of gas as the previous owner said that the gas tank is "empty" at the 3/4 empty mark. I was still above it, but after firing the car up while working on the rallycar, it died and I couldn't get it started again. I filled the tank with some old race fuel (VP MS109) and tried again but no dice.

Popped the fuel lines and ran them into a bottle, seemed awfully weak flow. So I bypassed the filter and it fired up I also took out all of the spark plugs and checked the cap/rotor for wear and tear. The front two cylinders are "probably" running lean, the back two rich. Additionally, the rear #4 cylinder spark plug boot came out with a loud "BLOOP!" and lots of oil... I think the valve cover gasket needs to be replaced I cleaned it up as best as I could and put everything back together. I'll be replacing the fuel filter with one off a 5.0L Ford truck/mustang, a trick I learned from the good ol' turbo firefly days for a nice, long lasting high flow filter for dirt cheap (like $6)

Only pic I have is at my garage where the madness happens. Two Subarus (one the rally car), a Suzuki Swift GTi road race car, the dmax car hauler, and the Corolla. I think I have a problem...

How do you properly setup those sidedrafts? Brother has an E7 that I'm slowly attempting to learn the art of carb tuning with.

Ray
    AE86 | Tacoma X-Runner
    4AGE 20V | 1GR-FE

Lets see all these opther cars two! I use to autoX with a few of them fireflys/swift owners, It was always so awesome to see them hold court and piss off the dudes with big engines in big cars. lol
    Stuff I'm Selling
    IG Mattyballz86

Quote Originally Posted by Drifting86 View Post
    How do you properly setup those sidedrafts? Brother has an E7 that I'm slowly attempting to learn the art of carb tuning with.

Ray
    http://cnx.org/contents/a0a6da11-643...d1166614160233

The key to carbs is being diligent. They have to be in great shape, be properly sized/jetted, and if the carb is worn out/has vacuum leaks, you won't get anywhere.

Then follow the guide exactly. The beauty is you dont need to use special tools (except synchronizing). The only real "art" to carb tuning is using spark plugs for monitoring how lean or rich you are. A wideband would be ideal, but it never hurts to run a little rich.
    Last edited by HiTempguy; 07-28-2015 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by projectae86 View Post
    Lets see all these opther cars two! I use to autoX with a few of them fireflys/swift owners, It was always so awesome to see them hold court and piss off the dudes with big engines in big cars. lol
    Well I suppose

Had this one for 4 years, sold it, some kid trashed it, and it ended up as a rusted out heap in Calgary

Current rally car!

The crazy garage!

Only on track Swift shot!

Rally car shell!

Old rally car turned smushed down a cliff rallycar!

And finally, for ****s and giggles, the Audi URS4 I imported from BC and owned for about two months before realizing it was going to be a money pit

bahahaahaa! you call him "Jay-Zed" as well! thats cool!

I like your cars.

Cool. Nice to another TE72 SR5. Here is mine: Click Me

Where abouts are you in Red Deer, my brother in law lives there. Maybe I can bring my Corolla up and we can have a mini meet. LoL
    Bryan
    DK Moderator