Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Flexy rocketship adventures: Black Betty

Damn, those look good. Such a slick ride man! Love it.
    ---------------------------------
    End.

I guess I should update this with some results.

So I took the car out to the Cap D season opener a couple weeks ago, and I gotta say, the car went above and beyond my expectations. (Especially for having driven it for a few days only before this event..)
    The car drove flawlessly all day, and I had no problems whatsoever. The revised cooling setup kept the car a lot cooler, and only got warm when I expected it to, which was after lots of hot lapping. The suspension and steering setup was great! The BC Works extended LCA's and modified knuckles really improved over the previous setup of PS knuckles and very slightly extended LCAs. I was also pleasantly surprised that I didnt have to do really any extra hammering of wheel wells when at lock, I guess the longer LCA's help the 14x8's clear a lot more than I expected.

The only thing that I can really think of trying to improve would be the E-brake currently. Like in the blue car, it is a little weak to lock, so I wasnt relying on it much. Luckily it isnt super needed with this car, as I still have the brake bias set with quite a bit of rear bias, as well as the torque makes for e-brake free entries.

The new welded diff also worked wonders in comparison to the old worn out stock LSD. Should have ditched that long ago.

here's some pics that have surfaced so far:

I didn't make it too far in the comp, but had a blast battling Sheldon in the top 16. I can see this car being somewhat decent for competing, but that's not my focus for the car. I'd rather keep it as a mix between street/fun car, and drift car.

Oh, and there are some awesome footage as well in this video by PG films:
    https://www.facebook.com/platformgar...6717909357965/

Dude it's great to see you back out there

Black Betty was killin' it. Handbrake time though!
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

You were making it look easy. Sounded great too.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Thanks guys! And it's still running the exhaust from the blue car - which I love, it does sound great...

In other news, I got the car aligned finally by Ramsay, it feels great now, cant wait to rip some more events, and even some twistys now!

it was competitive ya silly, you were up there. i know you dont care so much about it, but with the new system, the experienced drivers drive later on as auto by's. i know you just wanna let your hair down and cut a rug tho. just making sure you know you did well

Keith, killing the game with the hot shots.
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

Damm its lookings sick dude !! You make me regret my 20v in my liftback haha

did some more drifts. not much to report otherwise than this thing roosts tires and is a blast. also had a sketchy drive home in the full on rain for the first time tonight in it, can't really take any corner straight in the thing. also 5th gear wet roasting is easy.

pics time.

went exploring today.

update! well its not actually this car. I dont want to start a new build thread, as it isnt much of a build.

so I ended up picking up quinn's school car, in hopes of turning it into a daily driver for myself. for some reason my perfectly good, and fuel efficient civic isnt good enough, and i need an oddball corolla to drive at all times. So I ventured out to Victoria yesterday, and picked up the car.

obligatory ferry line shot.

The car needs a bit of work, but not too much. the brakes tend to get mushy once the car is nice and warm, and the idle tends to get rough when warm as well. Quinn told me the pitman arm is garbage as well, though in my short time driving it home yesterday, it didn't feel too bad. that will likely be my last thing to replace. luckily i have all the stock spares still from black betty, that i can swap into this car if needed.

Today I managed to get a couple hours in of wrenching, and did mostly aesthetic things. put the nice drift spares that actually had tires on them on the car, and removed some decals. I know, the decals are dope, but the intent is comfy-ish daily driver, and I don't want the attention of more stickers. I also swapped out the passenger front brake rotor, as it felt like there was a warped rotor, and sure enough this was it.

I have the day off tomorrow, and that will likely be time to swap out the spooled rear end for a stock, open diff rear end. also one of the drums was known to stick on the rear end in the car, so I figure if I swap the whole thing with the known good one, it will be fine. And since I'm going for the comfy daily status, the spool isnt going to cut it.

Dang, Didn't know that car was for sale. Mind if I ask how much you picked it up for? I'm still trying to find a decent 2dr e7....
    ---------------------------------
    End.

Today’s progress: took the rear end out of the car, didn’t want the spooled rear for daily, so my old open diff rear end went in. This also solved the sticky rear brakes issue. New gear oil in as well. Installed a new brake master too, and bled the brakes. Swapped drivers seat to my non-ripped spare, and washed it. Tomorrow will be checking the fuel tank, and swapping if needed, as well as putting the mystery condition heater core in the car. Then it’s likely insurance time!

oh yeah, blew the clutch line in the 1uz car. I think the braided line rubbed thru with the tight trans tunnel clearance. Now I have to pull the trans to replace it. stupid internal slave...

That picture of Scremin, you and mystery car in the back is unreal.

Loooks so good JD! I also have your plates...
    If there's one thing I've learned from the first two thirds of the MC Hammer Biography, it's that money never runs out.