Thread: So, its been a while.... but here's my White 83 Surpa. Finished at last! :)

So, its been a while.... but here's my White 83 Surpa. Finished at last! :)

Hey guys and gals,

its been a while since I've been to good ole DK, but I feel that finally finishing my 10 year project is reason enough to celebrate by showing it off a little.

Long story short, i went full Riemer and stuffed a 7MGTE in the front. Now I know its not original, its been done before and blah blah blah, but this has literally been my dream car since I was 12 and my uncle did the first 7M swap in the early 90's.

The motor is a fully rebuilt 88 7MGTE, filled with .040" Wiseco Forged pistons. An HKS MLS head gasket, HKS 3 layer air filter and a 3" stainless exhaust, ending in a 3" HiPower muffler complete the engine mods. Im running a stock MA70 intercooler, tucked up where the evaporator used to be. Tweak'd performance in North Carolina built me a beautiful wiring harness that retains all of the original MA60 fuse boxes, so its a nice mix of old and new under the hood.

Boost is controlled by an HKS EVC-S while oil pressure and wideband are digital AEM gauges (pics coming). To top it all off, I have a Lexus AFM sitting in my tool box patiently waiting for me to find some 550cc injectors

Its been two years of work but its finally broken in an ready to rock. Boost comes on fast and hard and the 235's on the back have a real hard time dealing with it. It drives like it was new and, in my opinion, the 7M looks like I was put there

More pictures to come.

Thanks for looking

-Aaron

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1672.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	355.0 KB 
ID:	14482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1729.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	321.3 KB 
ID:	14483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1730.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	283.4 KB 
ID:	14484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1742.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	269.9 KB 
ID:	14485Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1755.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	307.2 KB 
ID:	14486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6159.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	448.3 KB 
ID:	14487
    "Technology is the ONLY substitute for cubic inches"?

1983 MA67 - "Jessica" - 204K and 7MGTE
    2006 XTrail T30 - "Xcey" - 220K QR25
    2014 Caravan - "The Shuttle" 3.6L

Your friendly neighborhood BMW Technician

Right on, glad to see another supra in the hizz-ousse.

Great job...looks fantastic!
    1979 Cressida JZX3 VVTi

2econd Heart Garage

Loving the valve cover paint jarb too!
    If there's one thing I've learned from the first two thirds of the MC Hammer Biography, it's that money never runs out.

Engine bay looks great.

Suspension?
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

The work is fantastic and its nice to see another mkII..but I'll never understand a living person and why they chose a 7M over nearly any of motor on this planet...even more so, to fully rebuild one.

More pics and details?

Really nice and clean job man. The engine bay look fantastic!

Car Looks Great! Keep it up!
    Adam
    Josh Danish is a Scammer

Nice work! Same question as above - what have you done with your suspension?
    Dean L.
    2007 Lexus LX470
    2000 Lexus LS400
    1985 Toyota Celica Supra 1JZ - 1JZ, restored
    1987 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ73

Suspension and brakes are stock. Its not a track car or race car so the stock units do just fine for boulevard cruising.

Why a 7M? Because a certain (Reg Riemers) MKII has been my dream car since I first sat in it about 25 years ago my grandfathers cabin. The whole reason I have a MKII is because of his beautiful GTE car. I figured there was no better way to pay tribute to both my uncle and the MKII than to build my version of his iconic Supra.

Besides, the 7M is a reliable motor... its the owners that are usually the problem

Cheers,

-Aaron

(more pics ARE coming... im just lazy and spending the weekends at the lake... sorry
    "Technology is the ONLY substitute for cubic inches"?

1983 MA67 - "Jessica" - 204K and 7MGTE
    2006 XTrail T30 - "Xcey" - 220K QR25
    2014 Caravan - "The Shuttle" 3.6L

Your friendly neighborhood BMW Technician

That's pretty cool Aaron. I remember working with Vlad and Reg way back in 2000 on tons of 7Ms etc. Memories... LoL
    Bryan
    DK Moderator

i can agree to your faithfulness to why you built the car, i respect that. the 7M is just a catastrophe though, its not just the owners, even though they are a problem.
    did you ever consider making a 6M? THAT is imo, the best M motor. in any case, the work is fantastic, and thats what matters.

plus i love the MKII as i have one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by battleaxe View Post
    i can agree to your faithfulness to why you built the car, i respect that. the 7M is just a catastrophe though, its not just the owners, even though they are a problem.
    did you ever consider making a 6M? THAT is imo, the best M motor. in any case, the work is fantastic, and thats what matters.

plus i love the MKII as i have one myself.
    The 7M is not a "Catastrophe" it was Toyota's flagship motor for years. Yes it does have some problems like relatively small Rod bearing Journals on the crank. But the 5M, 6M and 7M all have the same problem. Aaron has done a nice job of building this engine which addresses the majority of the problems with the 7M. This is intended to be a Boulevard Cruiser and should be completely reliable in that context.
    I have been running a 7MGE in my Celica for 10 years without any issues at all. The car gets driven very hard at track days etc. 10 years ago all other potential good engine swap candidates were prohibitively expensive. Will I put another 7MGE in when I wear this one out? Probably not, a NA 2/1GR-FE or a Turbo 3RZ might be more powerful reliable options.
    Let Aaron build the car he wants Free of criticism.

The car looks Good Aaron! Keep it up!
    Adam
    Josh Danish is a Scammer

The blocks and heads are different. The 7m has the unique problem of having its coolant passages going no where. The bpistins and rods are one thing, and a metal head gasket doesn't eleviate the fact the motor has far more problems than low torque numbers for the head and weak internals.

I've owned a sr s13 for a decade and gets beaten at the track always...that isn't a great analogy because I don't daily the car and it sees a handful of events per year.

A proper vehicle to test the durability and lingetevity of a motor would be a dailied car mon-fri and does weekend track duty..and even then you are comparing one car to an entire line of garbage motors. 5Ms just leak all their insides out and can be fixed as such. Flagship motor..get out if here with that non sense. Doesn't make a motor great if they used it in 2 chassis stateside..both of which mileage wise don't see over 300k kms.

The work on this car looks impeccable,but your rationale for that boat anchor is filled with as many holes as Swiss cheese.

Life without criticism, fantasy land.

I too went 7m. it was free then i rebuilt it.

I am currently using as dd it does 130kms a day, take it on road trips on weekends, and during week when working on site.

like Adam said 10yrs ago this was a motor to use, the 1j, 1uz was not common enough at that time. 3sgte lot$ of work.

power for dollar you went 7m 10years ago

I think the 7m is a fine motor. I dislike my crossover intake tube. but meh.