Thread: 20V in AE86 Distributor Relocation Options

20V in AE86 Distributor Relocation Options

It seems there are a lot more options out there right now for 20V dizzy relocation in an AE86. I've heard rumors that putting extra strain on the cam gear does damage and other similar theories. I've seen setups that attach the dizzy right onto the cam gear and others that use a belt and sit off to the side.

What is the the common practice nowadays? What's the best method and why?

Taking a hammer to the firewall doesn't seem like all that bad of an idea anymore, but my only gripe with that is the restricted access to the dizzy. I don't want to have to move the motor to remove it if need be.
    1986 Toyota Trueno GTV
    1990 Nissan Skyline GT-R
    1991 BMW 318is
    1990 Honda Civic DX 3DR

1989 Yamaha YSR 80
    2003 Derbi GPR 50 R

I think Duy had some success leaving the sensor at the back and just mounting the rotor to the exhaust cam gear

That sounds like custom fabrication? I'm really looking for a bolt in solution.

I just came across SQ Engineering's (so many AE86 tuners nowadays :S) website and notice I can switch to coil on plug and remove the cap off the dizzy and still fit everything without firewall modification. Though I would have preferred to retain the stock 20V valley cover.

This seems like the best option so far, 2 birds 1 stone. I'd want to convert to COP anyway. Anyone have experience with this setup? Anything wrong with it?
    Last edited by carthik2; 08-17-2015 at 01:45 PM.
    1986 Toyota Trueno GTV
    1990 Nissan Skyline GT-R
    1991 BMW 318is
    1990 Honda Civic DX 3DR

1989 Yamaha YSR 80
    2003 Derbi GPR 50 R

Don't do the firewall thing. I hate mine. I had to cut it, and now I have to fix it; after I finish crying about it two years later.

COP is fairly straightforward if you do your research.