Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yoda Revival

Yoda Revival

Hey folks,

I've posted twice in the intro forum and once looking for help with lack of power at the fuel pump. I figured I'd combine into one thread of Yoda.
    I will upload photos of my progress and the work I've done thus far. Disclosure I am a broke student that is just trying to enjoy the Yoda and slowly bring it back to its glory!

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

A little back story,

My dad purchased the car, 87 GTS AE86, new from a dealer, it was used as a dealer demo model back in 87. He was originally going to by a fox body of the same year however Ford couldn't get it to him before he had to move. Up until 2005 it was his daily driver, by daily driver I mean he worked three jobs and walked to all of them. The car was only used to make long trips to the cottage. In its long life it has racked up a total of 124k km drying out the belts long before they have worn out. In 2005 he bought a Toyota Matrix and parked the AE. sat outside for a couple years before being moved into the garage. He would continue to start it yearly to keep everything moving until about 2010 when it would no longer start. It has sat unstated, untouched since then. He has told me since before I could drive that when I turned 16 I could have it. Now 21 I have decided it is time to make that dream a reality. This summer I started picking away at it, my goal was to have it at least running and get to drive it before I go back to school and it goes back into storage.

Tons of photos to come!

can't wait to see pics!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11256413_10155609577300008_543644446_n.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	14533

Having troubles I am, uploading recent photos I cannot

Name:  yoda.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  8.3 KB

You should try imgur. It's really simple to upload photos to there, and then share the img links here.

http://imgur.com/

wow man least u know every bit of its history

First time really driving Yoda after all the work. So far.

New tank, straps, sending unit, pump, timing belt, serpentine belts, oil, diff fluid, tranny fluid, coolant.

Drove to Oshawa, about four hours without a problem. Filled up with gas from almost empty, it overflowed at $28 and only brought the tank to 3/4. Driving home was almost at a quarter attempted to fill up again, pump cut out at $18 saying the tank was full. Left me with just over 1/2 tank for the rest of the drive home. Shortly after that I began loosing fuel while driving, with the pedal down it would simply stop pulling and just coast and then kick back in again. One time while in fifth it never recovered I had to down shift before it kicked back in and then it was fine. Drove over 200km with it periodically doing that without it fully dying just so I could get home. While coming through a town making complete stops the "new" circuit opening relay (eBay purchase) was clicking like crazy and the fuel was cutting in and out as per before.

Is my relay toast yet again? or am I shorting out somewhere?

u have a earth short somewhere.also don't go cheap on relays. spend the dollars saves a lot of headaches.
    Regards the sender unit,your tanks actually full but it saying 3/4s. I had this problem before,check all connections and earths to the sender unit.

ewww... why would you come to Oshawa? lol :P

Glad it made it back to Ottawa...

Follow my Supra Antics on Facebook ---> HERE!

Alright, so I just went out again and didn't even make it 1km. First the fuel cut out again immediately followed by the car shutting off completely. Every time I'd start it it would idle down and shut off again. Took 5 or 6 tries before getting it running enough to get home, it died as I turned into my driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by REN69 View Post
    ewww... why would you come to Oshawa? lol :P

Glad it made it back to Ottawa...
    That's where I go to school, and I have a campus job this year so I had to make a trip for job reasons. If I would have known you were in Oshawa I would have hit you up to come out to the meet up

Quote Originally Posted by Auspete View Post
    u have a earth short somewhere.also don't go cheap on relays. spend the dollars saves a lot of headaches.
    Regards the sender unit,your tanks actually full but it saying 3/4s. I had this problem before,check all connections and earths to the sender unit.
    It's an OEM relay from an MK3 Supra I just happened to buy from eBay, Toyota Dealer wanted $350+ and it was going to take 3 weeks. I didn't have that kind of time or money. To check all the connections and grounds do I need to drop the tank again? D:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11759007_10153168273958869_1445028089_n.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	14542

First meet attended by Yoda was a success. Parked beside a 370z and received more notice (Y)

I tried to start it this morning and it starts, idles up to almost 2G then dies. I jumped Fp - B+ in the check connector under the hood and it didn't die. I am guessing my relay is dead. What would cause a relay to die. I drove over 7 hours ( 4 straight, 1 around town, another 2 straight the next day) without a problem then it just started to die with 2 hours left in my drive. Also it starts so it isn't completely dead, but then dies. I've been running 91 Octane, the highest in my area, could that cause the pump to work overtime and cause the relay to burn out? is that even a thing?

could be the airflow meter still. starter relay forces the COR on, relies on the AFM to keep it on. afm should short pins 1+2 when the flapper is open. you could manually short them external to the afm (Green-Red to Brown) to see if the afm isnt working.

will it run if you float the throttle right after starting or does it completely die? sometimes children dink with the afm for "moar poniez" and could cause you a world of hurt if it wasnt done right or something got broken.

Happy 2016 folks,

Alright, so I just got home from school a couple days ago. While away at school I met another Toyota enthusiast and managed to get another circuit opening relay for a whopping $10 delivered to my door. I went and dug out the Toyota, still some snow as it is rather secluded, slapped the battery back in (not dead thankfully) and gave it a crank with the relay from last season. I don't remember which relay is being used in the video below however they both yielded the same result. You'll notice the second start up I gave it some gas yet it still died on me. What could be causing this issue? As mentioned at the end of last season I switched the relay and it worked for nearly 600km in a day before doing as it does now.

https://youtu.be/vSngdJu4-7c

The video below is with the Fp B+ connection made to let it run for awhile and get the winter dust blown off. I drove it down the road and filled the tires with air to get it moving again before back into storage until I can figure out the above issue

https://youtu.be/9PVQkAByMwU

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    could be the airflow meter still. starter relay forces the COR on, relies on the AFM to keep it on. afm should short pins 1+2 when the flapper is open. you could manually short them external to the afm (Green-Red to Brown) to see if the afm isnt working.
    what this guy said...

if it is the AFM that's faulty I can probably guide you to fix it, even though they are cheap as dirt.

what this guy said...

if it is the AFM that's faulty I can probably guide you to fix it, even though they are cheap as dirt.
    What's more practical then, repairing or replacing? All the work I've done thus far has been a shot in the dark/learning process so I'm open to whatever!

testing to see if it's broken is most practical.

do you have a multimeter?

crappy... hope you get it running so you can bring it down.

if it's been sitting that long, it could be anything at this point, it's just a matter of troubleshooting it.

Follow my Supra Antics on Facebook ---> HERE!

testing to see if it's broken is most practical.

do you have a multimeter?
    Sure do. The research I've done and people I spoke to said that if it runs with the Fp-B+ jump it likely isn't the AFM. Fact or Fiction?
    I still want to troubleshoot everything regardless