Thread: Looking for 1986 Cressida Wagon steering parts - suggestions

Looking for 1986 Cressida Wagon steering parts - suggestions

Hi guys. I have another old school Toyota project - 86 Cressida Wagon.
    Body and engine are in good shape but I need some new steering parts.
    A rebuilt steering rack complete with new seals and inner tie rods would do the trick.
    However none of the local Ottawa aftermarket parts suppliers seem to be able to lay their hands on any steering parts for this car. So far, the online world is a strike-out as well.
    Any suggestions on places to look before I visit my local dealer and see what is obsolete or not?
    LMK and thanks
    Dentman in Ottawa
    2002 & 2005 Capital City Speedway ministock champion
    2- 3rd gen Celica Stock Cars; 85 Celica GTS Convertible
    3-7th Gen Celica road and race cars
    86 Cressida wagon with a w58 swap
    Many Toyota Trucks

"It's better to be in the race for a second than to spectate forever." St Merlin

Rockauto.com
    -1988 Toyota Supra 1j
    -1986 Toyota Cressida Wagon 2j underway

^ Yep, I checked rockauto for you, there are complete steering racks for around $200 new. Not sure about seal kits for the rack instead.

You've had some good vibes from them?
    I checked some other places that showed parts too, but didn't have them upon deeper exam.
    Many Toyota Trucks

"It's better to be in the race for a second than to spectate forever." St Merlin

Rockauto is the best. They just cost a lot for shipping. Try to make sure the parts come from the same warehouse to save.

Thank you.
    DW

Try to avoid the A1 Cardone rebuilt steering racks, I installed one in my accord wagon last year and I was not too impressed with the quality of it at all. My wagon steered better with the old rack that was spewing PS fluid all over the road
    85 Toyota Corolla AE86 GTS Coupe
    98 Toyota 4Runner Limited

dave,

rockauto .. well, rocks.. as dug said, just watch your shopping cart to see what warehouse things are coming from.. sometimes paying $5 more for a part to get it all from one warehouse means lots less in shipping..

secondly, before finalizing any rockauto deal, google 'rockauto discount code' .. rockauto gives em out with every order, so people post em on their club forums etc.. get you an extra 5% off..

brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

Rockauto 100%. You can also ship to a us address firm if you're close to the border and pick it up yourself for a tiny fee.

Is this Josh's old Cressy wagon with the 5 speed and headers?

Thanks for all the tips. I have an AC Delco unit on its way.
    New question - Anyone know where to find a fuel sending unit or what replacement ones will work with this car? It has a rolling up and down style gauge. The unit is a rusty mess, as were the lines coming out of the fuel pump assembly, and the filler neck.
    I bought the car in Toronto from a sketchy young lad and his family. It was owned by 5 car dealers and two private owners over the last 29 years.
    It is worth fixing up. I will do a 5 speed swap if I can find the parts I need. I may drop a 22R race motor and driveline into it if I get the urge. It is too nice to cut up though.
    Many Toyota Trucks

Lets see pictures of this bad boy!
    Mat 83 GTS Hatch 87 GTSR5 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post
    If only I put the same amount of effort into my schooling as I do my car. Education is important, but racecar is importanter.
    Stuff I'm Selling
    IG Mattyballz86

I will post some pix once I get the Gallery app on my Samsung phone to stop crashing. Technology...
    Many Toyota Trucks

Waaat?! 22r race motor? Spend your money enlsewhere. Great engine but there's better to be had for those dollars unless its lying around. Shot the w58 to 22r bell housing alone gets you a 3sgte with a little drilling.

Also dry k post

Been racing Toyotas for 20 years and have lots of proven go-fast bits already. Mixing and matching is not an issue.
    I sold off most of my Supra bits, otherwise I would have the 5MGE bellhousing and flywheel/clutch/slave to convert this car over to a manual easily. Priorities.
    Update - I tested the Cressida fuel sending unit and it is working. Must be an issue in the wiring or gauge. I'm having the leaky fuel tank and filler neck sandblasted and coated.
    I also performed some surgery on the leaky fuel pump assembly pipes and evap vent pipes. Hopefully the gas will stay in the car and not on the ground afterward.
    Dentman

Quick update - Got the steering rack/tie rod assembly from RockAuto installed (a messy job) along with some new KYB strut cartridges and rear shocks (from Autoway.ca), and brake linings front and back (from Tony Graham Toyota).
    The steering rack needed to have the passenger side steering damper bracket clocked to a different setting, which took some analysis, disassembly and a pipe wrench.
    I just got the repaired and recoated gas tank back from Capital and Dominion Radiator in Ottawa. It looks nice.
    I also revived the sending unit with some manipulation and a soaking in Evaporust (my new favourite chemical). It, in turn, revived the stuck dash gauge.
    Thanks to all for the suggestions. Dentman
    Many Toyota Trucks