Thread: Free CarProof (AB & MB only)

Free CarProof (AB & MB only)

Just stumbled upon this deal:

https://ab.carproof.com/

As long as the car is registered in Alberta you can enter in the VIN to get it checked.

the site for MB is mb.carproof.com

Cheers!
    1989 MX83 - Sold
    1985 AE86 Coupe - Sold
    1985 MX73 - Sold
    1984 AE86 Hatch - Project Car

CBC proved that carproof doesn't work.

They had people from individual provinces look up the same vin of a car. Some provinces reported a $3500 accident claim, while other provinces showed nothing.

And that's with a claimed insurance repair. What about the accidents where the previous owner doesn't report it.

That's not to say it's a bad thing to try and do your due diligence before buying a car, but just don't treat the report as gospel ok.

I just went and read the CBC report on the subject, and actually it seems to show that CarFax is the unreliable one. In every instance of a discrepancy, CarProof showed the claims, while CarFax didn't. I just ran the free report on my car and it does show an accident claim in 2005. I'm happy to have the option of a free CarProof though, because I can print and keep it to show prospective buyers if I decide to sell it any time soon. I agree that you shouldn't rely on these reports though, as the accidents may go unclaimed, etc. As the CBC report says, always inspect yourself/take to a licensed independent mechanic. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...inds-1.2500076
    DK lurker-in-chief

Ahh good to know. I remember learning about it last year, and forgot all about carFax brand version.