Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sketchiest car repair you've done

Sketchiest car repair you've done

So i changed my starter contacts and put it back in the 4runner last night at 1am. Got both bolts threaded in the starter and tightened them up a bit by hand then went to town with the impact... top bolt was going in but slowly and thought it was normal then it spun... threads toast.. so i said.. what ever, it's snowing already and i need a vehicle to get to work tomorrow and the ls didn't get snow tires on yet. Starter seems to be fine hanging there on just the bottom bolt.

I know this isn't very sketchy but it got me thinking. DK probably has some interesting stories on pure sketch repairs. Share your stories and discuss

Heater motor blew in the 91 winter beater accord, had a couple of working AE86 ones in my garage. Ditched the accord glovebox. Dryer vent ducting, duct tape, 14g wire and crimp connectors. Got it working again in 20mins. Whole thing sat in the front passenger footwell. Wasn't secure and rolled around a lot.

One time the spring perch rusted off on my buddies sebring, so the spring and perch was rubbing on the tire. I used a 2x2 and a coat hanger to prop it back up. He drove that peg legged POS for another 6 months before the tranny blew on the 401 (what a smoke show!) and it still worked when the wrecker towed it away.

So I have one, but I was not the person who installed the said "Sketchy Repair". Back in February of this year I decided to replace the ball joints on my lowered 1993 Accord Wagon, I bought the car back in July of 2014 and it was slammed on ebay coilovers that were installed on the struts incorrectly. Needless to say I had to replace pretty much the entire suspension system as it had been beaten to ****, when I went to take cotter pins out of the old Camber kit I quickly realized that the previous owned decided to use thin wood nails that you would use on a Birdhouse, instead of a cotter pin. We were at my friends shop so we were lucky enough to have some cotter pins on hand, him and I always have a good laugh about it when we are having a few beers
    85 Toyota Corolla AE86 GTS Coupe
    98 Toyota 4Runner Limited

When I bought my black hatch, the fuel pump was dead. I didn't want to drop the tank in the owner's driveway and I was too cheap to pay for a tow truck so I grabbed a spare pump out of one of my S13 parts cars. I filled up a pickle jar with gasoline, threw the pump in the jar, hooked it up to the fuel rail and then hardwired it to the battery.

Drove it 2 miles home like that, boy was that a nail biter.
    '80 MX32 sedan |'83 AE71 wagon |'84 AE86 hatch
    '85 AE86 coupe |'86 AE86 hatch |'86 AE86 coupe
    '88 MR2 S/C |'86 S12 hatch |'88 Silvia K's
    '91 Z30 Soarer '92 JZS147 Aristo |'92 S13 coupe
    '93 R33 Skyline |'98 S14 kouki

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Is dyno like 200 for the hp if mustang shifts but 300 if corolla shifts?

Used a piece of rubber fuel line to repair rusted brake hard line.

Two things.

I went over some train tracks and my muffler snapped off, so I had my first welding exp and used a lot of zip ties to fix it, like thousands of zip ties, and it lasted a long time until the welds broke again (not the zip ties). It ended up snapping off so I used a cut up tin can and two hose clamps. This lasted a year and gave an awesome sound! It was like a mini flex pipe.

My floor rusted out huge, like crazy huge, and I fast and furious'ed it and riveted metal in. The hole was so rusty that the rivets weren't actually in metal. I tried to weld some tabs, but they didn't weld well to rust. Instead of something to seal it, I left the carpet under it to keep out water. This was during winter, it was awesome! It didn't fall out due to danger to manifold though.

Quinn repairs lol

A rusty rear brake line on my x72 broke on **** Sask roads from vibration. I just bent it over to stop the leak, clamped some vice grips to it and ziptied it to the chassis. Towed my 86 behind it back to Calgary.

RETIRED

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    clamped some vice grips to it
    In a pinch you can also hammer the line flat with a tire iron and a hard surface if you're shy a pair of vice grips. I ran a figure-8 car like that for a few races.

One time I jerry rigged an entire fleet of Diesel VW's to pass emissions tests.

^ winner

RETIRED

tommy is offline Redneck engineer/machinist
    Not from me but I just fixed it from the previous owner. Not really a fix, more like the world's worst modification ever. Bought a AE95 wagon as a daily driver not long ago and for what ever reason one of the previous owner rigged an hydraulic handbrake on the stock drum brakes. Lets call it fail #1 as the rear brake adjust by pulling the wire.

Anyway, as I just learned the hard way, the dual circuit on those car is not front/rear split like old Toyotas, but split in "X" with the front right and rear left tied on one circuit and the two other on the other circuit. So you have two independant brake lines running the length of the car to connect each rear cylinder independently as they are on different hydraulic circuits. Well the guy found it convenient to T the two lines together to a single line to connect the damn hydro hand brake... so last week was driving on the highway when one of the rear wheel cylinder poped out... so lost all braking power as the two lines from both independant circuit are now tied together in a single circuit... welcome back to 1969 when corollas still had single circuit brakes... so what do you do? Pull the "emergency" brake...? Oh no wait, it's on the same ****ing hydraulic circuit.

I swear to god if I ever see that guy again I'll punch him in the face without hesitation. Some people shouldn't be allowed to "mod" cars.
    TE31 1977 - 2T-B (traded)
    KE20 1974 - Destroked 7A, project "bigblock A meets peanut" Link to build thread (Sold)
    AE95 1990 - 4A-GZE daily driven wagon...

Easy, the zip tie water pump belt to get me home from the track

I hate Corollas but I don't think I can do better with anything else

Alt tensioned with vice grips, due to broken bolt, sold it like that.
    Jacked up a corolla with a coleman cooler and a log from the ditch, as the jack was rusted solid.

Sketchiest car repair you've done

This was what happened when I trusted Canadian Tire to do a simple alignment in Victoria:

Alignment done. The manager said I needed new tires because a belt had shifted. Interesting, as that's bull****. Told him the tires were still fine, and got the keys back.

Well, now the car pulled heavily to the left. I went back and asked him what he did to my car. He again parroted the bs about the crappy tire (pun, get it?). I crawled under the car and noticed that the driver's Tie Rod was 7 threads further out than the passenger's. It wasn't before. I brought this to his attention.

His face soured like a French whore, and he told me that this is the last time they'd fix it. They took it back in. Lol. Not like I'm paying or anything.

The mechanic came out and said, "here's the problem!" In hand was a washer from my front strut bars. Car came out driving straight as Hugh Hefner. Needless to say, I never went there again.
    Last edited by Serendipity; 11-11-2015 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    His face soured like a French whore, and he told me that this is the last time they'd fix it.
    Isn't that your line?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon G View Post
    When I bought my black hatch, the fuel pump was dead. I didn't want to drop the tank in the owner's driveway and I was too cheap to pay for a tow truck so I grabbed a spare pump out of one of my S13 parts cars. I filled up a pickle jar with gasoline, threw the pump in the jar, hooked it up to the fuel rail and then hardwired it to the battery.

Drove it 2 miles home like that, boy was that a nail biter.
    LOL. I had a '77 Civic with a rusty gas tank. Ran a hose from the FP to a jerry can bungee'd to the passenger footwell while I waited for a new tank to come in - 2 weeks.

Twice I've blown brake lines. Flex line vice gripped shut and ziptied to the body. Hardline rolled and pinched shut.

I had a 92 ranger for my first truck. I never noticed it un till one day at work someone asked why my truck was all low on one side. It turns out the leaf spring mount rusted right in half and was using the bed floor as a leaf spring support. The long time sketchy fix was not fixing it. I got it fixed pretty quickly after I noticed it.

I had a 1997 mustang I used for autocross and it blew a heater hose on the way to the track. This was on the way to my first ever autocross related event which was a autocross school, which meant I would be driving the car hard all day long. It was fine on the highway keeping it self cool but when i hit the 1/2 mile 20km/h speed limit gravel road to the track the engine having no coolant went all the way up on the temp gauge. I was lucky to have the end of the hose blow out so I could cut it shorter and hose clamp it back together. I had enough drinking water for either my self the whole day or to keep my car cool for the whole day. well My car got the water and I raced it all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    Canadian Tire alignment in Victoria
    Dude there's like 20 better places to get an alignment in Victoria, at least. Shame on you for going there.