Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turboing my 4age 16v bluetop

Quote Originally Posted by Answ3r View Post
    Been there, done that. Ran for 2 summer and cracked rings lands on cylinder #2 haha.

Here's the BEST recipe for it to work, while keeping it simple. But never try running more than 7 psi, it will fail without a full standalone.

1-Reset ECU and UNPLUG o2 sensor, to stop the "learning" do this BEFORE BOOSTING
    2-Get slightly bigger injectors (lots can do....3S, 7M, just don't go crazy. Shoot for ~300cc ones) Too big will run like ****, stock won't have enough head room.
    3-You can tighten/clock slightly the spring in your AFM to compensate for the bigger injectors until the AFR is fine. IIRC about 5-7 clicks tighter should work good. MARK THE WHEEL AND BE CAUTIOUS.
    4-Set base timing to 5 degrees. This will help save you ring lands.
    5-Buy that that thing http://trackdogracing.com/TDR-Fuel-Card.aspx (the one for 90-05) which is batch injection. This will work for any other 4 cylinder that is batch injection. Basicly it uses the ECU pulse and lenghten it when under boost. Aim for 11.4-11.8 under boost.
    6-If you don't want to buy the track dog thing, leave the o2 unplugged all the time and use a rising rate FPR (FMU).

If you keep the 02 pluged without an 02 clamp or fuel card, the ecu will slowly learn during the closed loop conditions and will apply that offset when under open loop. This leads to leaner that you should conditions under boost which WILL crack your rings lands.

If done well, this can run pretty good. BUT. GZE pistons are cheap and WAY more tolerant to detonation and a MS3 will allow you to tune it for whatever you want.

Have fun.

I do have a ms3 ecu but I dont really know how to use it unless someone on here is willing to tune it for a small price or something.
    I can wire it up using stock ecu plugs and make it plug and play so that I can swap back to the stock ecu if I need to.

So far since the last post I haven't done anything much other than removing the power steering pump and clearing up the engine bay abit etc.

Im planning to run only 5psi and a fmu thats 12:1 Also like you said, im trying to find some 3sge or 7mge injectors.
    For the TDR card thing, i dont have money for it right now, trying to turbo this corolla for cheap as possible!
    Already getting friends to weld me a DP and saving up for a wideband.

Last is the turbo piping etc, do you think I need a intercooler for 5psi? I am not going over that since I do want to to be reliable for some drift events at shannonville
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 3" turboback Stage 2 Daily
    1985 Corolla GTS Beater drifter with trd 2 way lsd etc
    1987 Corolla GTS in storage
    Follow my Instagram @tincanturbo for random car stuff

Intercooler will keep intake temps lower and thus reliability should be better. For the ms3 I can send you my map if youd like, dyno tuned. Id remove 1 degree timing since you have stock pistons and I could send it already modified.

Intercooler will keep intake temps lower and thus reliability should be better. For the ms3 I can send you my map if youd like, dyno tuned. Id remove 1 degree timing since you have stock pistons and I could send it already modified.
    Listen to answer he really knows his stuff. A intercooler will really help, plus it makes more power, it's a must do. Also take out the pressure oil-cooler regulator and run just a straight bypass at the stock sandwich location, I've heard horror stories of boosted 4ages cooking with the stock one.

Quote Originally Posted by woodenturn View Post
    DK should ban such nonsense. 2 cents~ sr86 www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?32933-Elizabeth

Quote Originally Posted by LastLatvian View Post
    Listen to answer he really knows his stuff. A intercooler will really help, plus it makes more power, it's a must do. Also take out the pressure oil-cooler regulator and run just a straight bypass at the stock sandwich location, I've heard horror stories of boosted 4ages cooking with the stock one.
    Cool, Im not 100% sure on deleting the oil cooler since the turbo will heat up the oil more but I never seen anyone saying that there is problems deleting it.

Plus I think deleting it will help with the oil pump since now has to oil the turbo as well.

Ill also run a intercooler as well then. Hopefully Ill start posting pics soon when I start on it.

I still gotta gather more parts and I also just got a nice inno wideband for $150 with data logging from a guy that just built a 2jz with single turbo aristo.

I'm running the stock oil cooler plate and tapped an 1/8 NPT to -3AN fitting in the side to feed the turbo. No issues here for a long time.

You can slightly shim the oil cooler bypass spring or even better, put a new spring in it to make sure it's not bypassing your pressure too low. Otherwise it's rather a fail safe system.

I'm running the stock oil cooler plate and tapped an 1/8 NPT to -3AN fitting in the side to feed the turbo. No issues here for a long time.

You can slightly shim the oil cooler bypass spring or even better, put a new spring in it to make sure it's not bypassing your pressure too low. Otherwise it's rather a fail safe system.
    do you have any pics that your willing to share?

As in the oil feed, im planning to T the pressure sensor on the side of the block to 4an. I did post pics on the first page

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turbo.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	14917
    Actually it's a oil cooler plate from a fwd redtop I think...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turbo.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	14917
    Actually it's a oil cooler plate from a fwd redtop I think...
    Lmao!! JB weld all the things! Ima going to get my friend to tig weld on a tube for me while oil pan is on the motor.

For the oil cooler, i might leave it on for short time and then remove it later on.

If you drill a hole and weld a nut or bung on the other side, you can fit an AN fitting. It's what I did for the oil cooler on my 20v, but it needs to come off for that.

The JB weld was a double measure to make sure I don't get pinholes leak through the actual weld. I wouldn't trust the JB to hold a bung in a pan alone...