Thread: 1uz86

1uz86

Welp, a friend's '96 LS400 was tboned but the engine was intact and this gave me an idea.

How much would it cost a shop to fabricate engine mounts, headers, and drop a 1UZ with a W58 with adapter plate on with all the fixins? 10K-15K?

I know there are some members here with this setup.

I'm not as mechanically inclined as you guys and the thought of pushing a cherry picker in my garageless backyard and having it be stuck on the grass is an nightmare, I wish I had the know how to tackle it myself.

1uzfe swaps are lame, and expensive and slow. sell me the engine instead for cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Duy- View Post
    1uzfe swaps are AWESOME, and expensive and RAD AF. sell me the engine instead for cheap
    Fixed lol.

mounts and adapter plates already exist. modify stock manifold or ebay headers to suit. likely 10G at a shop provided you didnt lift a single finger. 2G if you do it yourself.

In Toyota, we rust.

talk to steve g on here, he just did a swap in a ae86 for a guy in sask last month
    Quote Originally Posted by 4age
    "The Miata will get some compliments along with some ?hairdresser? comments and odd looks from the average public, enthusiasts are never really sure if you are a stance guy, a drifter, or a homosexual"
    BUILD THREAD!!!
    http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...-pics-page-5!*

Too bad it wasn't a 97 1uz.

I'd say 15k easy if you want to build the car properly. You have to worry about replacing like every last thing on the ae86 to be able to handle a V8/stop/not break constantly.

Honestly I just did this swap and wouldn't do it again. Too much money for not a very good result. You just end up with this weird abomination that is nothing like an AE86.

To each their own. I wish I could go back and put that money towards something cooler and faster. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    talk to steve g on here, he just did a swap in a ae86 for a guy in sask last month
    I saw his black coupe on youtube, it looked pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugwillis View Post
    Too bad it wasn't a 97 1uz.

I'd say 15k easy if you want to build the car properly. You have to worry about replacing like every last thing on the ae86 to be able to handle a V8/stop/not break constantly.

Honestly I just did this swap and wouldn't do it again. Too much money for not a very good result. You just end up with this weird abomination that is nothing like an AE86.

To each their own. I wish I could go back and put that money towards something cooler and faster. Oh well.
    I'd imagine that it would be more front heavier. What sort of problems did you encounter?

I might just build up my 7age but I've always liked the 1UZ, specially when dropped in Celica Supras and 90s Cressidas.
    Last edited by Mdnght Lvr; 12-19-2015 at 07:01 PM.

Yeah once you factor in the donor engine, manual trans, bellhousing, driveshafts, fuel system, cooling system, headers, and exhaust you're probably looking at 10-12k realistically
    Owned too many different modified toyotas to list LOL

If I was to do another engine swapped corolla I would probably choose a 3rz, keep it NA with wild cams, high compression, forged internals and a tune. Go for 300hp or something, and get the SC weir axles and diff to keep the 6.7 rearend.
    This would retain the ae86 spirit a little better IMO.

I'll be happy with 150hp at this point, I don't need too much horsepower, I'd rather get a BEAMS swap done but, cheap 1UZ in my hands.

Do you guys know of any good shops in BC?

Quote Originally Posted by Dugwillis View Post
    This would retain the ae86 spirit a little better IMO.
    I'll say 1u is a perfect match.
    1uz with 225s on the back feels just like a stock motor with 185s in the rain...like exactly.
    1u keeps the car fun and twitchy, it keeps the spirit of the car, it's simplistic and super fun.

RETIRED

Also, are you doing this swap? vvti 1uz is retarded fast.

My advice, harden the **** up and just start doing it.
    Nobody knows how to do anything until they've done it, you learn by doing.

I promise you'll get through it. Everyone here started knowing nothing.

RETIRED

The 3RZ weighs about 25-40 lbs less than a 1UZ, but with over 100hp less (even without VVT-i). Sure you can modify the 3RZ, but I'm just sayin'.

Jeff

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Also, are you doing this swap? vvti 1uz is retarded fast.

My advice, harden the **** up and just start doing it.
    Nobody knows how to do anything until they've done it, you learn by doing.

I promise you'll get through it. Everyone here started knowing nothing.
    I wish I could but I don't have a garage with a cherry picker and I only spent a week learning how to weld with Oxyacetalyne, I could never fabricate the headers myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdnght Lvr View Post
    I wish I could but I don't have a garage with a cherry picker and I only spent a week learning how to weld with Oxyacetalyne, I could never fabricate the headers myself.
    Indy-speed has you covered for headers to fit the 86 and listen to Devon regarding 1uz86 tuning. Good luck with your build!

Quote Originally Posted by PandaCoupe View Post
    Indy-speed has you covered for headers to fit the 86

got any pictures hanging around?