Thread: Crank but no start. After stalling in deep snow.

Crank but no start. After stalling in deep snow.

Ugh. My yearly "car won't start save me dorikaze" thread. I'm hoping to get some ideas so I'm not running in circles.

We got some heavy snowfall the other day in Ottawa. I got pretty stuck trying to get out to the road. When reversing back to my parking spot, I stalled. Went to start back up and got the ol crank but no start. The car had idled and been somewhat stuck for 40 mins, so she must have been fairly hot.

I think I have fuel, cant hear the pump priming though. I wanted to remove that banjo on the fuel rail, don't have a wrench handy that size. Im not getting spark, however.

Found a blown IGN fuse (7.5) in the kick panel. Replaced the fuse and the car seemed to crank faster.
    Put in new plugs yesterday....
    I borrowed a coil/igniter off a friend, swapped it in and no dice.

I wanted to replace cap and rotor, but everything is closed today.
    Alternator has possibly been going. In the cold I get a battery light for 10 minutes, lights start to dim then once things are warm everything brightens and acts as normal.

Sorry for rambling all over the place.
    Ideas? I got my hands on a friends multimeter, but I am very basic with electrics. The car ran fine one minute and the next wouldnt start.
    -Hopes and Dreams
    -1985 Corolla GTS - BC style

Sounds like some water got into something. Or maybe something got caught in the snow and became unplugged. Does the check engine light come on when the key is in the on position? I'm not good with electronics either so I always start by looking for anything unplugged and all fuses first. After that I'm lost lol

I'll bet wet ignition stuff, will keep an eye out for a dizzy boot for you.

A friend recommended a check for spark between coil and distributor. So Im off to try that. At least then I will know if it is distributor/cap/rotor
    -Hopes and Dreams

Pull a spark plug and see if there is any fuel on the plug. Could be water in the fuel line or pump that is freezing, preventing you from starting. Dave W

Yes I had taken a look at them. They didnt look soaked but there is definitely gasoline on them. The car had run for over half an hour before I stalled it, so all of the she had some heat to her. I can't see the car responding normally then freezing up once I stalled.

I have tried grounding out the spark plug wire coming from the coil and no spark to be found.

Now here my knowledge is iffy. I thought the distributor only timed the spark? Is it powering the coil? Would a bad rotor/cap/dizzy possibly have blown my IGN fuse?
    -Hopes and Dreams

Keep in mind I stalled it slipping my foot off the clutch. It did not stall on its own. ****, I should check my timing belt tonight.
    -Hopes and Dreams

Distributor on this car is only responsible for multiplexing the high voltage from the coil to the individual plugs and generating the timing signal to the PCM. IGN fuse powers the EFI main relay, Engine main relay, charge warning lamp (lamp only).

Check the fusable links (wires in fuse box under hood), check the igniter/coil and connections again.

Also ask your computer for codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    Distributor on this car is only responsible for multiplexing the high voltage from the coil to the individual plugs and generating the timing signal to the PCM. IGN fuse powers the EFI main relay, Engine main relay, charge warning lamp (lamp only).

Check the fusable links (wires in fuse box under hood), check the igniter/coil and connections again.

Also ask your computer for codes.
    Cool. I'll jump and check for codes tomorrow. So IGN fuse only powers those things? I have already swapped in my buddy's EFI main when I thought fuel was the issue, Engine main seems to make a clicking noise on ignition.

Thanks for the help.
    Jimmy
    -Hopes and Dreams

Thought it would be dizzy cap. It was filthy full of oil. Replaced it and the rotor. Tons of oil still in the distributor, no contact cleaner and I didnt want to take brake clean to it. Wiped it down best I could.

Getting codes 3 and 6. 6 is RPM, 3 is ignition signal. Reset Ecu, still no start. Working outside sucks.
    -Hopes and Dreams

pickup is bad on dizzy or igniter is bad, or both.

my wiring diagram indicates that the dizzy VR sensor is wired straight to the PCM, but I swear I saw the vr sensor going straight to the igniter, then to the pcm. I think my wiring diagram is for a later model though, not an 85. check and replace dizzy and igniter until your get spark.

Did you confirm your timing belt is still turning the rotor in the distributor? Leave the cap off and turn the motor over and confirm the timing is still good.
    Hope this helps (in the -20C weather today.)
    Dentman
    2002 & 2005 Capital City Speedway ministock champion
    2- 3rd gen Celica Stock Cars; 85 Celica GTS Convertible
    3-7th Gen Celica road and race cars
    86 Cressida wagon with a w58 swap
    Many Toyota Trucks

"It's better to be in the race for a second than to spectate forever." St Merlin

Thanks for the replys folks. Still no luck over here. And I was sooo close to parking her for the year too. Hopefully getting a winter car this week.

No Dentman, i havent done that. I planned to inspect the timing belt, but got distracted with all that oil in the dizzy.

Todays progress. Dizzy is all cleaned up and we have spark finally!!! Bolted in my friends coil&igniter to make it happen. When I tested his last time I didnt actually bolt it to the chassis. We also have fuel!

Annnnd no start. Im hoping my friend can run me his maf tomorrow. Any other ideas before I make him rip it out of his car and drive it down to me?
    -Hopes and Dreams

I'm having a similar issue with the car I'm working on, I have fuel but injectors aren't firing, might be igniter related.

Injectors will stop firing if the PCM does not receive the IGf signal from the igniter. Check power to the injectors too.

Well. What is new. I put her to TDC and checked cam timing marks. All looks well. Injectors also are clicking and firing. The slark plugs are also nice and shiny. Not black and gunked up at all, but stanking of fuel.

So. The car never sputters or makes sounds of combustion. It just cranks and cranks.

So I double checked my coil/ignitor setup by swapping it back in. No spark with them so that was the spark issue.

So what would cause my coil/ignitor to go, and an ign fuse to blow, but still not allow the car to run once both issues are corrected. Would my extremely fouled Cap and Rotor blown them?

I have tried swapping in my friend's MAF, TPS, his full dizzy dizzy setup with plug wires, and nothing changes.

One thing I have not checked is compression. I lent out my comp tester.
    Last edited by Jim C; 01-06-2016 at 06:54 PM.
    -Hopes and Dreams

Pull codes once again with it making spark.
    check cap and rotor..

when you check spark are you doing it with a spark plug at the cylinder connection? use a plug (gapped roughly correctly) and lay it on the block while cranking.

no idea why only IGN would blow since it powers only the relays (according to my 87 manual) check all the fuses and fusable links.

I believe all were checked today once more. Some friends were helping and went over them. Found a fuse by the Ecu too and its swell. No moisture down by the ECU or anything.

I have been grounding the spark plugs to strut tower. I will try grounding them to the engine.
    -Hopes and Dreams

Will it fire a bit if you spray some quick start in the intake (behind the throttle body)?
    2002 & 2005 Capital City Speedway ministock champion
    2- 3rd gen Celica Stock Cars; 85 Celica GTS Convertible
    3-7th Gen Celica road and race cars
    86 Cressida wagon with a w58 swap
    Many Toyota Trucks

"It's better to be in the race for a second than to spectate forever." St Merlin

Uuuuugh. Guess who's an idiot? This guuuuuuy!!!

She runs like a champ. Big open diff angle on the test run today.

So the Dizzy and Rotor were covered with oil. Dizzy rebuild kit is on the way. I'm assuming that wrecked either my coil or ignitor, (I still have my friend's in the car) which in turn blew my IGN fuse? Is that even possible folks?

When cleaning out my dizzy, I must have reinstalled with timing out 180?. Prior to that I had no spark.

So once I had fuel and spark, I was a few dizzy teeth away from her starting right up. And that took me nearly a week.

Thanks to all
    -Hopes and Dreams