Thread: TE72 from steering box to steering rack : the ultime solution !

TE72 from steering box to steering rack : the ultime solution !

first of all .. all the credits goes to marc ulin from usa ..

1st step you have to get friend with a machinist or buy a lathe ! haha

2nd step cut the steel plate at the end of your column.

3rd step keep the splined shaft off your steering box or froma an ae86 steering rack and get it softening annealing in your home firewood stove because its an hardened steel .. and after get it down a little bit on the lathe to fit it in the steering shaft..

4th step you have to get down a delrin bushing on the lathe

5th step weld the splined shaft in the steering shaft..

6th .. put your delrin bushing in the column housing and fix it with a couple of little screws

7th.. take a mk3 supra intermediate shaft part with the u joint and cut it a half and remove the intermediate shaft and replace it with a shorter one from a corolla or aw11 ..

8th .. put all together and you will be ready to ride !!

ENJOY !!
    Last edited by 377_nst; 01-15-2016 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 377_nst View Post
    first of all .. all the credits goes to marc ulin from usa ..

5th step weld the splined shaft in the steering shaft..

That's flipping nuts, it looks like a ok weld but jebus welding the steering shaft IMO is not safe.

Quote Originally Posted by woodenturn View Post
    DK should ban such nonsense. 2 cents~ sr86 www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?32933-Elizabeth

why not ? all the shaft and u-joint are welded somewhere ...

why not ? all the shaft and u-joint are welded somewhere ...
    Straight up welding without a subsequent tempering process can lead to metal too hard or too soft - cracking or twisting failures.

interesting.

for added safety you can drill and add a pin, in between.

but ive seen a lot of racecars weld the quick steering hub too as well...

I was thinking of going with a electric power steering. but this is clearly another way

Illegal (in Canada) to weld steering components for road use.

Just think of it this way. Your driving your car on the road and your column breaks at the weld or somewhere in your steering system. You lose control of your car and crash injuring you or someother person. Insurance company will most likely inspect your car and won't cover any of the damages once they find your at home steering modifications leaving you with a couple years worth of you salary in fines and damages. That's the worst case scenario but there is a reason why street cars don't weld their steering components. Something to think about anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinO View Post
    Illegal (in Canada) to weld steering components for road use.
    And yet people use welded knuckles, lengthened LCA's, Aftermarket welded tie rods and about a billion other components never intended for street use every day on street driven AE86's....

FFS people weld structure to their vehicles using princess auto flux core welders and nobody bats an eye.

If it's a decent weld it will be zero issue, its not like he was joining 2 pipes together with a butt weld, its inserted and welded into the tube. You can see in the picture how the factory welds the upper part in the exact same way to the upper bearing.
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

as i said u-joint and steering column shaft are welded from the factory .. its illegal to extend your LCA and most of the people do it .. and it result the same story if you broke one while you drive...

and pitobread speak the truth !!

Merely stating the facts boys. Meth is illegal but doesn't stop people from smoking it. I run modified parts on my car and my bobbers I build so don't think Iam shaking a finger because stock vehicles are boring in my opinion. I also never said the weld is going to break but IF it did... My point was just that it's illegal and if you do get a VI which lots of modified cars do you are going to run into trouble. As far as getting in a accident goes. Insurance company's don't want to give you **** so They will look for any reason to keep money in their pocket.

Merely stating the facts boys. Meth is illegal but doesn't stop people from smoking it. I run modified parts on my car and my bobbers I build so don't think Iam shaking a finger because stock vehicles are boring in my opinion. I also never said the weld is going to break but IF it did... My point was just that it's illegal and if you do get a VI which lots of modified cars do you are going to run into trouble. As far as getting in a accident goes. Insurance company's don't want to give you **** so They will look for any reason to keep money in their pocket.
    hy?poc?ri?sy
    həˈp?krəsē/
    noun
    the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3

Quote Originally Posted by pitobread View Post
    hy?poc?ri?sy
    həˈp?krəsē/
    noun
    the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.
    Did I state anywhere in my previous posts that i didn't weld my parts? "There is a reason why street cars don't weld their steering components" I didn't say everyone.

Other then that. Well that's just like your opinion man.

Streets car have welded steering parts from the factory...

This is how Ayrton Senna died.
    $28 Bronze T50 shifter bushings HERE

"If you look at the camera shots, especially from Michael Schumacher’s following car, the car didn’t understeer off the track. It oversteered which is not consistent with a steering column failure. The rear of the car stepped out and all the data suggests that happened. Ayrton then corrected that by going to 50% throttle which would be consistent with trying to reduce the rear stepping out and then, half-a-second later, he went hard on the brakes. The question then is why did the rear step out? The car bottomed much harder on that second lap which again appears to be unusual because the tyre pressure should have come up by then – which leaves you expecting that the right rear tyre probably picked up a puncture from debris on the track. If I was pushed into picking out a single most likely cause that would be it." - Adrian Newey

It was never conclusive he died from a steering shaft failure, or he crashed and it sheered. And nobody will ever really know.

I tought he had welded his steering shaft with princess auto flux core. Im glad it was a tire

Streets car have welded steering parts from the factory...
    I'm done haha. You win

If this scares you start thinking about what happens when balljoints separate.
    BCWORKS

Just think of it this way. Your driving your car on the road and your column breaks at the weld or somewhere in your steering system. You lose control of your car and crash injuring you or someother person. Insurance company will most likely inspect your car and won't cover any of the damages once they find your at home steering modifications leaving you with a couple years worth of you salary in fines and damages. That's the worst case scenario but there is a reason why street cars don't weld their steering components. Something to think about anyways.
    No they won't. I used to do it.
    Snapped column from impact (along with every other suspension piece) is pretty common. We would only investigate if you admitted it. Failures were almost never checked out.

And chill about welding and preheat and prep and tempering and stress relief. It's going to be fine.
    Last edited by JungleMatic; 01-18-2016 at 09:29 AM.

RETIRED

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    If this scares you start thinking about what happens when balljoints separate.
    Your LS400 steers into a curb. Sometimes having the quietest cabin in existence can be bad...didn't even hear or feel it going.
    Was only going like 40...scary to think about what would have happened at 100.

RETIRED