Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front brakes failing. Options?

Front brakes failing. Options?

I've had to replace my brake calipers on my ae86 way too often. And again my front calipers are screwing up. What options do I have that will fit under my supra rims? It's too bad the cad dollar is so bad right now or I would get the fastbrakes kit that fits under 14's

RX7 stuff can fit under 14's, just not all 14's. I'll be running 14" TE37's with mine. I have heard there are brackets that use Hinda rotors or something that may work. My brakes had a lot of problems too, but usually due to track days, or wheel bearing problems. Are your spindles messed up? Are your bearings ok?

I guess I should have mentioned I am running supra rims. Which I have two sets of. 1 set with summers and one set of winters. And duy advised me that his rx7 brake setup won't fit under the supras unless I use a 25 mm spacer. Which I'm sure will cause rubbing issues lol. I'm tempted to buy that setup off duy but I don't want to have to buy 2 new sets of rims. But I guess I should have a look at my spindles and wheel bearings

Ajps in Australia sells the 'smaller' rx7 caliper kit that uses honda rotors iirc. I'd check with them on possible fitment.

Andrew
    1984 SR-5 (GT-S converted)
    1995 4x4 Tacoma
    Incomplete list of truck mods at
    http://www.parksoffroad.com/Our%20Ri...cab%20taco.htm

just wondering what is failing. been driving these corollas for 30 yrs. never had to replace calipers. they are old stuff. they do need maintenance, mostly lubing of sliders.
    I even use stock front calipers on my road race car.

Gary

I think it's the cylinder starting to seize. Today I did very minimal driving but it never started to get all shaky like it did two days ago. I had just taken all my calipers apart two weeks ago and put a little grease on all the slider pins so those should be fine. I guess I should mention they are lordco beck arnley crap calipers and about two years old

Have you replaced the rotors at all?

Quote Originally Posted by jewbaka421 View Post
    put a little grease on all the slider pins
    What kind of grease? I find typical moly greases will dry out, I prefer silicone lube now.

Ya rotors aren't bad. And I'm using the high temp silicon brake grease on all the sliders. Can't remember which brand

4 lug Supra stuff bolts right on.

RETIRED

Pulsating can be rotors, which are then messing your callipers.

Are Supra's larger? Aren't the back brakes a little bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by Blade7 View Post
    Pulsating can be rotors, which are then messing your callipers.

Are Supra's larger? Aren't the back brakes a little bigger?
    I'm talking fronts.
    Ya, quite a bit bigger...? RockAuto probably has sizes hidden somewhere.
    Supra/X73 is the same.
    X72 (Cressida Wagon) is somewhere between Supra and 86 size and uses the bigger caliper. Most likely made to clear 13s.

(I'm 95% sure the backing plate will just bolt to the 86 spindle...Correct me if I'm wrong?? If the whole spindle needs to be swapped you'll need the knuckle as well)

RETIRED

supra stuff is awesome, I grabbed the entire spindle, came with a larger bearing. calipers were 50 bucks from lordco down the street, and I think it clears supra rims....................... don't quote me on this

Stop getting parts store calipers. They're 'rebuilt' by mexicans and all ****.

RX7 brake swap is a waste of money IMO. Everyone wants too much for the adapter brackets.

People that don't have caliper problems must have rebuilt themselves.

I know where I can get some celica supra complete front struts. Would that bolt right in if I change the top hats? I think it's an ma60? The style of supra that came with the supra rims like I have lol. Or do I just use the brake parts off those struts?

And it turns out I had bought a set of what we're supposed to be first gen celica supra rear brake calipers. But upon receiving them I noticed that they definitely weren't. They look like front calipers for sure. No ebrake mechanism on them. And the part numbers on the boxes they were in say they are rear brakes for an ma60 style supra. But I kinda think they might actually be the ma60 front calipers. So I might already have brand new calipers to do the supra brake upgrade. And those brakes must fit under the rims that were originally made for that car right?

Part numbers on the boxes for the calipers are raybestos frc3409 and frc3410.
    Last edited by jewbaka421; 01-20-2016 at 05:59 PM.

I know you were talking about the fronts, but I was asking about the rears because they are impossible to find, and since it's already brought up about changing to supras, I may as well ask about the rears.

As far as bolting on celica/supra stuff I'm not sure if the bottom steering knuckle pattern for the struts is the same. Might have a different balljoint offset.

Also, there are different spindle angles between models. I know that RA65 GTS struts are interchangable with Celica Supra ones if you change the steering knuckles, but if you put the Celica supra ones in a GTS celica you will have positive camber/ if you put the GTS ones in a supra you get more negative camber.

Celica GTS and Celica Supra have the same size brakes. They are pretty beefy units.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Ok. So from what I gather both the celicas and the Supras of the same era have the same front brakes but the celica entire strut assembly is probably lighter than the supra strut assembly? I know that celicas also list using the same front shocks so if I got ahold of those I can use my tokicos I already have. But also I might need to upgrade my master cylinder for those brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    I'm talking fronts.
    Ya, quite a bit bigger...? RockAuto probably has sizes hidden somewhere.
    Supra/X73 is the same.
    X72 (Cressida Wagon) is somewhere between Supra and 86 size and uses the bigger caliper. Most likely made to clear 13s.

(I'm 95% sure the backing plate will just bolt to the 86 spindle...Correct me if I'm wrong?? If the whole spindle needs to be swapped you'll need the knuckle as well)
    MX73 front brakes are slightly bigger, supra guys were always upgrading their brakes with cressida ones.

So I'm going to buy a pair of supra front struts with brakes and knuckles for $100. The guy has two more Supras he is parting so if anyone else wants a pair of these struts there will be two pairs left. Which I can grab and bring back to Nanaimo for a little extra money. He's charging me $100 but I have to pull them so I would basically just be asking for a little bit for labour to pull them