Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ae86 longer lca's

Ae86 longer lca's

So I got a pair of ma61 front struts to put in my ae86 but after realizing that I will have some crazy positive camber I am now thinking about using the ma61 lca's to try and correct the camber issue without using camber plates for now. From what I've been able to find out is the supra lca is 65mm longer. Is that gonna be way too long? How much wider do most people go with their lca's?

Isn't it roughly 10mm of LCA = 1? camber? It's pretty easy to figure out with trig.

If the strut is 50cm / 20" long, Camber changes .112? with each mm of LCA change. One inch LCA = 2.86? camber.

How long are your struts?
    Last edited by b-rock; 02-13-2016 at 04:43 PM.
    $28 Bronze T50 shifter bushings HERE

From what I have found they are basically the same length as the ae86 struts. And since I will be using the ae86 tokico blue inserts my entire setup should be the exact same length as a stock ae86. I'm realizing now those supra lca's are gonna be ridiculously too long.

Duy. I know you are running these struts in one of your cars. Did you just use camber plates to correct the positive camber? Or a combo of longer lca's and camber plates?

I have Duy's old MA61 setup here in an AE71 with stock LCAs... and camber is about +0.5? (maybe a bit more)... Maybe that doesn't tell you anything unless AE71 is the same as 86.... Centre to centre across the strut tops is 1005mm. Front is only one inch lowered (about 20" struts).
    Last edited by b-rock; 02-13-2016 at 05:26 PM.

Ya I have no idea how an ae71 compares to an ae86 in that respect. If I had to guess I would say they are probably very similar. But only .5 of a degree should be easy to get rid of with just adjustable lca's I would think

Measure across your strut tops...

I can do a real camber measurement next time I'm out to confirm... Then you'll have all the info you need.

I normally start people at 40mm per side. Gets you to around 3-4 degrees. Most people have camber plates by the time they start playing with arms. Let me know if you want a hand with any of this. I have everything in stock to do it.
    BCWORKS

it's been a while but I've always ran a coilover setup with - 2.5 to - 3 degrees of camber

Well. I'm leaning towards lengthened or adjustable lca's because I've read that camber plates aren't all that reliable since the bearings eventually wear out. And since I won't be building a coil over setup yet I won't have much room to correct camber with camber plates anyways.

Warren. Would you be able to build an adjustable lca that keeps the oem style bushing? I would rather have a set that don't have heim joints

I just measured this MA61 strutted AE71's camber... It's + 1.0?, not .5?... if it matters. I was planning on adding an inch... on this tame DD.

I am curious to know what the strut top spacing is on an AE86....
    Last edited by b-rock; 02-13-2016 at 07:58 PM.

I will check tomorrow if nobody else has that measurement by then

Brock. I measured my the spacing on my struts and got 39" exactly which converts to 990.6mm. Not sure if that's correct but that's what I got

I enjoy longer LCA's. It's a logical choice.
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

i have ga61 (they have positive camber like ma61)struts in my ae86 with sigma control arms (30mm longer per side). i am not a fan. it feels twitchy.
    i say, go stock strut coil over or aftermarket ae86 struts. you can use xt130 lower control arms which is 10mm longer per side than stock ae86.

im changing my setup to ra40 strut (same as stock ae86 but with bigger stub axle) then coil over-ing that. with xt130 control arm.

good thing about *a6* strut is that it has the same brake bolt spacing as the nissan r32/r33 and z32 brake calipers. im using z32 brakes on mine.
    but changing to mazda fd calipers on the ra40 setup.

did you retain the same camber? how does wider wheel track make the car twitchy, I feel like your car is just toed out because your tie rods weren't long enough

have longer tie rods, with rca's to makeup for lowerage, all perfectly wheel aligned.
    camber 2.8 negative.

ive never really been happy with the setup, mid speed its ok, but for fast stuff it feels twitchy.

weird, I have 50mm extended lcas and it feels fine for 100 - 160 kph corners, a lot more stable after the extension and negative camber gain. basically benefits all around with the one downside being fender clearance

Ya. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for the ra40 struts. As far as I know they have the same brakes as the ma60 so all the brake parts I bought should switch over. Or is that just more crap internet info? I just found out two days ago that the ae86 tokico blue strut inserts fit perfectly into the ma60 spindle. But you have to use the ae86 gland nut to hold the strut in the spindle.

the *a6* struts i have on the car now, have the brake mount apart of the strut tube. but the ra40 struts i have, the backing plate is the brake mount, that bolts onto the strut.
    the ra40 strut needs a brake mount made, to fit the strut. (in my case anyway, to run mazda 4 pot caliper)

sorry for bad pics but these are the only ones i have at the moment that show the strut.
    (i was checking KPI angle, which both ra40, *a6* and ae86 are the same)

*a6* strut, see how the mount is apart of the strut.

and ra40, bare strut no mounting *unless you use the stock backing plate with combo brake bracket)

i doubt the ra40 and *a6* share the same size brakes.

the only plus with ra40 struts is the bigger stub axle.

but using stock ae86 style struts (aftermarket coil overs) you can get any combo spring/shock and bolt on big brake kits.

the positive camber from the *a6* struts is all from the steering knuckle.

see *a6* on the control arm, and ra40 next to it.
    Last edited by ayetee6; 03-19-2016 at 12:01 PM.

Weird. My ma60 steering knuckles look like the rustier of the two in your pic. And now I'm confused because all the info I have found about using ma60 struts is that the spindle is on a different angle than the ae86 which causes the positive camber. I'm also not sure how to fit the ma60 steering knuckle onto the ae86 ballpoint. Is there a different ball joint that can be used so it fits properly? Or does the steering knuckle need to be machined to make it fit?