Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Twenty Seven

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoQuinn View Post
    I also am not entirely sure the best way to tighten the factory steering box. Ultimately in the future a rack install would make a world of a difference on this car, but it's not really that feasible at this point.
    When I did the box on my RX-7 it was a simple matter of loosing the lock nut and cranking in the adjuster (GENTLY!) until it felt better. The advice I got from somewhere said that the adjuster screw would not feel hand tight when the box was tightened to spec. I say just mark it, crack the locknut and add some preload a partial turn at a time until it feels happy, then check for proper operation lock to lock.

A little product endorsement: seafoam deep creep penetrating fluid. $13 dollar can but worth every penny. Seeps through paint, lacquer, carbon, rust. Petroleum based. In the last year this product has saved the day for myself as well as a few others.

I know you said tstat bolts this is just a for instance, two exhaust studs were already broke. Not wanting to break the extractor I gave it a go. 86 runner RE, rusty with a gazillion km..
    Last edited by Toynutglassgod; 02-22-2016 at 01:19 PM.

Deep creep is always in my arsenal! Super handy stuff.
    Figured I'd crack those bolts open on the thermostat early this morning, then if I needed, I'd have all day to get the bolts out if there is an issue. Both popped right out. They did feel weird, and upon removal the threads were caked with old sealant. This changed how they should feel when losing them. Removing the housing also revealed why my thermostat felt like it was stuck open! Turns out the thermostat used a rubber seal for when the plunger was closed. I hadn't seen one like this before, and I figured out why they're unpopular; the seal had degraded and become dislodged from it's intended placement. This seal was now blocking the plunger. Luckily, it hadn't made it's way to the water pump, or into the rad.

I also installed a new fuel pump. Joel had noted that it was weeping a bit from the weep hole on the bottom, so I grabbed a new one. The original had only an inlet and an outlet, where the new one had a vacuum line or return as well. They only make one style, so I had to cap the return on the new one. I also finally got around to installing the transmission oil cooler. Does anyone know if they use a thermostat in the transmission somewhere before it sends hot fluid to the cooler? My lines were nearly dry when I pulled them off, but the trans measures full on the dipstick.

Lastly I installed some decals I had cut to fit the doors. I ****ed them up hard, but the rest of the car looks like ****, so they're not far off. It's been a while since I installed big stickers, obviously out of practice. All 3 I managed to **** up lightly. What a waste of money. I might peel the door ones off if I hate them enough.

Sadly the welding equipment I was borrowing needed to be returned, so I'm unable to finish the strut mutilations until sometime after the 27th. Otherwise the car feels fine. A few things I worry about is Front and rear main seals, and the power steering system. Both might require leak fixes in the future that I'm dreading. I really would like to find a Steering rack swap for this car, even if it is a power rack. It would massively change how the car feels to interact with.

Besides these things, I think we'll give it a whirl on the 27th and see what breaks, what leaks, and what works well. OH! Almost forgot, I scored a Snell SA2010 open face helmet, near new, for $80 today. It's sooo hard to find affordable open faces. I am stoked.

This is the old thermostat, permanently stuck open by it's own seal. Strange design I haven't seen many of.

Grabbed that new pump and oil cooler lines to get the fluids moving well on the car.

Drove the car around town to go pick up the helmet. Seemed to do okay with no leaks? I'm jazzed on the bucket. Open face Snell approved helmets are tough to find, especially for cheap!"

Enjoying some fine dining, while admiring the fact I did some work on a car, challenged some problems I am having internally, and romanticized the idea of becoming more proficient at instruction.
    Much of this is enjoying the process more than the actual result, though the result seems decent enough. Still much more to go in the future.

Last edited by DiscoQuinn; 02-23-2016 at 05:50 PM.
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

Did some weight savings today. Found both of these behind the drivers motor mount. Someone decided to keep replacing the oil cap when dropped, rather than find the old one. Car now is only equipped with one 710 cap, rather than 3.

All packed up for tomorrows shakedown day at the track. Going to see what works, and what fails before I put students in the car.

Put a new distributor O-ring in today. It's been many years since I actually timed a vehicle myself. Don't worry, I can design 3 piece wheels to near exact manufacturing requirements, but timing an old carb'd car isn't common knowledge to me. Took a lot of fiddling around to get it to 12 degrees advance without vacuum advance plugged in. Why so tough for me?! I did some other things like tighten up the parking brake tension, adjust the wheel straight, and pack the car for tomorrow. We'll give it a try! Still have the big suspension install to go, and I've got some new parts coming too, like a racing seat and a rear sway bar. Score! Thanks Tyler and JewBaka!

I'd really like to find the pieces to do a steering rack swap. It's the only majorly sloppy thing that will be left after the blown shocks are swapped out. It will work just fine without swapping to a rack, but this car is entirely about the driver interaction, and a rack just offers much more connected feeling to the road for the driver than a bunch of worn out steering box stuff. I'll keep my earlids peeled.

Some people don't know my regular day job is a driving instructor for on-road driving. This school thing is a fun side-thing to challenge my teaching skills, and improve my teaching in all aspects. Below is a joke that's extra funny from my perspective, but if I were to share it with my on-road students or co-workers I'm sure someone would call the cops anonymously. I can at least post it here.

SpeedHero

Ill hopefully be swapping my rack to a man rack soon if i find a intermediate shaft, prob will have the depowered rack up for grabs if you wanna go that route

Today was the shakedown day. Although I didn't get a chance to get the coils in, I still took it out. It was floppy.
    Here's a 6am shot mixed with a 6pm shot, before and after the drift day. No action shots as of yet.

Spent some time installing a new temporary drivers seat last night, centering the steering wheel, and installing the new distributor O-ring. Didn't notice and major oil leaks on the track. Took it out for some fun laps, it was raining a bit. When the carb didn't bog down it was decent. I got some really good slides early in the day. Let a few other people putter it around, and did some teaching in some other peoples cars as well. The blown shocks and worn factory springs were predictably floppy, but in most causes it was excessive and detrimental. I've drifted some floppy cars, but the auto 3TC isn't complimentary to the 45 degrees of body roll. A cressida is more well suited to that.

Carb Bogging was my most annoying problem of the day, getting into a good groove only to have the fuel supply slosh or dry out during important throttle moment. I think I'll start a tech question thread about this as I can't have this on the school car, it needs to deliver power. Beside this and the suspension the only other problem I had mechanically was watching a student drive and the heater core blow out coolant all over my feet. RIP Heater core. Going to be a bitch to replace as they are discontinued and expensive. Sigh. I'm so broke already.

I scored a new racing seat for the car today! Hopefully the coils and seat will be ready for our first school day on March 7th. I might be forced to loop the heater lines until I find a good heater core.

The only non-car problem I'm having is who to let drive the car and for what reason. Sure everyone has something to learn, but also, some people just give me the impression it's a free ticket to beat on a car and my instruction isn't the intended use. I have to default to innocence, and if I provide a bit more of an instructional focuses atmosphere it'll hopefully direct the emotional flow towards progression and learning than abuse without consequence.

Thanks to Tyler for the racing seat donation, and Warren for use of your timing light!
    SpeedHero

Another benefit of the track day that I didn't realize was a possibility, but makes sense, is all the oil pan bolts slowly backing out. Major oil leak when I checked the car today. Cool stuff! Also, along with the drippy oil pan, the power steering seals are just fukkkkkin' junk mate. Sadly, the power steering is going into the trash. To make it to the next track day I'm going to have to loop the heater core lines until I can save the $150 it is for a new one. Sigh. I expected this, and these problems, it's developing the comfort for them, it will come.
    SpeedHero

RIP Power steering and heater core, both which, due to budget restraints (I've actually hit $0 in my bank account because of this venture.)
    Car will be fine without both, but both were nice luxuries for people learning to operate. No more noodle arms or people with low blood pressure (Generally people who are cold.)
    Looks like all the oil pan bolts actually slowly rattled themselves loose. Pretty interesting problem.

Splendid Aim photography posted up a snap of my car. No actions shots to surface just yet though.

SpeedHero

I totally thought the side sticker said "Racine" school and I figured it was an inside joke. Now I see otherwise. Keep up the good work, those west coast people are lucky to gain from this.

Maybe turn it into a set of drills so yahoos can't just go out and hammer on the car willy nilly?

Also,I don't think JD is planning on fitting his heater core back into his rebuild V8 machine? It was super tight with the 1UZ bell in the blue car and i'm not sure if he played it close when doing his black cars tunnel. Maybe the blue cars core is available?

Not trying to offer your parts or anything JD. Just trying to play cupid.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

That's a good idea Clay!

I left all the original lines in the bay in case I stumble on a core.
    SpeedHero

Dang today was a long day. Started working on the car at 9am, got in the house at 12 midnight.

Interesting observation, the factory service manual inspires confidence. I remembered I had been displaying an '82 Corolla FSM behind my bed for like 2 years now. It'd been sitting there so long I had forgotten I owned it!
    Popped that sucker open to the page about heater cores. "Looks like not as many steps as I thought it'd be. Cool!" My plan was to yank the heater core, as I looped the heater core lines last night while I was deleting the power steering.

One page? that's all? I can hammer this out in an hour!

About halfway into removing the entire dash, I realized heater cores, no matter the bad influence of the FSM, are the automatic transmission rebuilds of interior work. ****ing screws everywhere maaaaannn...I've taken many, many dashes apart. I don't know why I forgot how ****ty it is. My estimate of an hour or two was WAY off. I was 2 hours in just getting it all apart and keeping it organized!

Gross, rolling around in old coolant on an old carpet, yak.

Got the core out, both inlet and outlet necks were cracked, and two holes in the fins.[/img]

Tore the whole dash down to get a chance to see the heater core, see if it was repairable. For someone with access to a torch and practice with soldering, it might be entirely savable, but at this point I don't have the co-ordination or understanding of soldering to ensure the success I need.
    So a new heater core for one of these is $148 with a great account at Lordco. There are a few people throwing ideas at me currently, but it'll be a long time before I can afford any heater core....We'll run without one for now.

I had bugged Liam the night before to come help me diagnosis some oil leaks, and try to encourage him to let me bring the car to his work. He suggested I swing by around 6pm when the shops quiet. This should be plenty of time to get the car buttoned back up and movable. At 1pm Liam called to tell me work was extremely slow and was wondering if I could bring the car in 5 hours early. ****! So I buzzed everything back together and managed to get up to his work through rush hour in 2 and a half hours.

All back together, sadly I didn't get the chance to clean all the disassembled parts before reinstalling.

Liam, excited to have his soul removed by photographs

After a heavy degreasing of the engine bay we got the car up on the hoist to take a look. What we thought originally was a loose pan, wasn't helping the case, as you could also see oil pouring from the phenolic spacer for the fuel pump. Which I had recently installed. :/ Upon removal, as predicted by Joel a while back, the spacer had developed a crack, and was trash. Luckily the shop has a basket of left over gaskets. In there was another phenolic spacer and gaskets to match!

Riding high, I think it's been half a decade since this car has set foot in a repair shop.

The very broken spacer. Oddly enough Liam had another just sitting around in good shape.

Liam showing me some important tech tips.

Next up on the list were the coils. Although the coilovers I bought from Jason would bolt onto the knuckles, the brake backing plates mounting holes on an AE86 strut, are different than an E7 strut. This created a problem, cool coilovers, but no brakes. So we chopped the bottom off each set and swapped the tops. The least amount of work, and welding. These took lots of measuring and even more mistakes, but eventually we got them back together, with some cleaned up strut top bearings, improved washer layout and disgusting rake.

The two before cutting. By swapping the bottom, we don't need to shorten the tubes, as the length will already be correct! Sweet.

Choppy Choppy!

By this point it was 10pm and Liam and I both wanted to go home. Still craving punishment, I then immediately installed the rear setup and got rid of the rear rake before heading in the house for bed....or posting on here, then bed...maybe pancakes first.

Now 2 feet lower! and 3.5x stiffer, actually.

Still left to do; monitor the engine leaks, do an eyeball alignment, and make/get made some seat bracket rails for the Corbeau that was donated. Probably many other things too.
    SpeedHero

Morgan, the Duy's better half, managed to grab some snaps from the event with a student driving, and myself driving. We were doing some grip laps as the carb was being dumb and bogging on slosh.

Doing some testing around learning curb.

First Unofficial student? Taking a grip line around the track. Heater core popped all over my feet on this run. lol
    Last edited by DiscoQuinn; 03-02-2016 at 01:35 PM.
    SpeedHero

people went crazy when this thing was on the track. I've never seen so much excitement

Fantastic Quinn. Kodos. Must be itching for another go round now with the new stance! Great job with help from friends.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

lol, we had fun Duy, except for Warren. He drove it 2 feet and got out. Everyone cheers when a boat sinks too.

Thanks ToyNutGlassGod.

Really want to get that seat bolted in before the 7th, but I don't have the welding devices. The car will feel massively different with the new suspension. I'm most curious about the feel of the bias of weight transfer with the new mystery setup. I know the front is 400lb springs, but the rear is unknown. On my own drift cars I like a very severe understeer bias; strong front bound, stiff front springs and sway bar, and a soft bum with weak springs, soft or no bar and a strong rebound setting. For this car however I want the inverse, an almost too easy oversteer bias. This is to make it easier to introduce oversteer and traction loss. Though at the last track day we did some grip laps for fun and it would be also rewarding to teach some grip racing, which may affect the interests of my setup.

Things I would like accomplished soon
    -Seat
    -Alignment
    -Good interior and glass cleaning!
    -Raised carb float level!

Things I would like eventually:
    -dash mounted white board! I really want this. Having one in the car in general will be helpful. I use one at work all the time for my on road students.
    -Front and interior mount brake light (teaching purposes)
    -External E-brake light (same reasons)
    -Grippy steering tires
    -harness?
    -A RADIO THAT PLAYS MORE THAN CFAX BUS LANE UPDATES (probably not even a radio, just a mini amp and my old cell phone as a makeshift deck)
    SpeedHero

Went over to Joel's and he helped me raise the float level of the bowl. Now that I know how to do it, I can play a bit on my own. Did a little sporty drive around and the new suspension setup is terrible. While we were assembling the new coils I took the time to check if they were blown or in good shape, which they were. I checked the rears too, I noticed the rears had an extremely stiff bound setting, which was impressively strong, but the least desirable strength I wanted. Having them in the car now confirms my fears, that the springs both front and rear are FAR too stiff for the rebound rates of the shocks. I don't know for sure if this is the setup JD had in the blue car at the time of his crash, but it makes sense now why there is a picture of the car flying above the curb.

The fronts are 7.1kg/mm and the rears are mystery cut TRD's. I have a feeling they too are in the 7kg area. Going over even a speed bump resulted in a swift launch after compression. Possible solutions are to go to a softer setup of a 5/4 setup or even as low as a 4/3 which is still nearly 2 times stiffer than stock, right now we're nearly 3.5 time stiffer. I doubt i'll be able to find someone to swap springs before the 7th. I will raise the nose of the car up tomorrow and give it another eyeball alignment as it's pretty toe'd out from the coil install.

I'm probably just being grumpy because I worked on the car 12 hours yesterday. I need a more formal test, and a good run in the car to really get the shocks warmed up and the oil moving around in them. I'm probably just being a worry wart, but my initial feel is a drastic mis-match between the spring and shock rates.
    SpeedHero

Yeah its the exact setup I ran in the blue car. Though having a front sway bar and not a 1uz probably makes it a lot stiffer/bouncier up there.. I hope it can work out for you quinn, it seemed to be decent for me in the blue car.. The car looks super good slammed though!

the weights of the cars were quite different I'm guessing. I'll make it work as always!
    SpeedHero

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoQuinn View Post
    Went over to Joel's and he helped me raise the float level of the bowl. Now that I know how to do it, I can play a bit on my own. Did a little sporty drive around and the new suspension setup is terrible. While we were assembling the new coils I took the time to check if they were blown or in good shape, which they were. I checked the rears too, I noticed the rears had an extremely stiff bound setting, which was impressively strong, but the least desirable strength I wanted. Having them in the car now confirms my fears, that the springs both front and rear are FAR too stiff for the rebound rates of the shocks. I don't know for sure if this is the setup JD had in the blue car at the time of his crash, but it makes sense now why there is a picture of the car flying above the curb.

The fronts are 7.1kg/mm and the rears are mystery cut TRD's. I have a feeling they too are in the 7kg area. Going over even a speed bump resulted in a swift launch after compression. Possible solutions are to go to a softer setup of a 5/4 setup or even as low as a 4/3 which is still nearly 2 times stiffer than stock, right now we're nearly 3.5 time stiffer. I doubt i'll be able to find someone to swap springs before the 7th. I will raise the nose of the car up tomorrow and give it another eyeball alignment as it's pretty toe'd out from the coil install.

I'm probably just being grumpy because I worked on the car 12 hours yesterday. I need a more formal test, and a good run in the car to really get the shocks warmed up and the oil moving around in them. I'm probably just being a worry wart, but my initial feel is a drastic mis-match between the spring and shock rates.
    Nice work Quinn. A good shock that works well and is pretty cheap, is the Monroe Sensatrac from a IROC Camaro or the shorter Mustang shock. I think they might have discontinued that model though, the OE Spectrum might be the replacement. I had these on a Cressida with cut springs that worked well, good rebound for the spring rate and weight of the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?