Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DK Dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Blade7 View Post
    Is there a technical thread for how to paint a car at home in the garage yet? I'll need it in a couple months if there is.
    Ill have one up tonight.

----------
    1985 Toyota Corolla GTS 1uzfe 6 speed
    1985 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ60.
    1997 Lexus LX450.

I still check out the forum on a weekly basis but I definitely see things dying down for some reason. Maybe it's that the group I knew back in 2007 has grown up and moved on in life? Maybe it's that these cars are rusting out and the scene is diminishing? I like the forum approach because everything keeps organized and easy to track. Facebook pages shuffle the posts around and trying to find something from a day prior is nearly impossible.

As long as I have my car I'll always be on and off, at updating my build thread when I've got time.

----------
    1985 Toyota Corolla GTS 1uzfe 6 speed
    1985 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ60.
    1997 Lexus LX450.

I'm pretty sure facebook is the reason for 80% of the slow down on the forum. The other 20% is the fact that these cars are now very rare and people what 3-400hp anyways so they move onto something else turbo'd from the factory ! haha

I think Duy summed it up best - though I hope DK never truly dies. I check it frequently and love to see what is happening with people's cars. There is still a strong core group of knowledgeable and helpful guys on here, you just may may have to look past the sarcasm.

The forum format may be a bit outdated, I still prefer it over FB, especially when looking at historical content. DK is almost always the first website to pop-up when I google Corolla problems and I have made some good friends and some good acquaintances on here.

Maybe as a group, we need to be a bit more open and understanding to new members/new builds and answering the same questions 100 times. The biggest thing I think about when looking at posts from new users, is that I was once in their shoes (and in many ways still am) - all excited over finding/buying an 86 and oh so naive of the world I am entering.

Keeping DK alive comes down to the people - if we want it to keep going as a group we need to be good people.

That's my $0.02
    2011 Ford Escape - stock
    1984 AE86 - SR20
    1976 KE35 - rust bucket

Maybe it's because the current generation is in the passenger seat of moms' car catching pokemon gos and doesn't care at all about cars or getting their drivers' license.

*Then again, I've sent my fair share of AE86 chassis to the boneyard whether it was my fault or not. There are only so many of em.

Quote Originally Posted by JShray View Post
    I think Duy summed it up best - though I hope DK never truly dies. I check it frequently and love to see what is happening with people's cars. There is still a strong core group of knowledgeable and helpful guys on here, you just may may have to look past the sarcasm.

The forum format may be a bit outdated, I still prefer it over FB, especially when looking at historical content. DK is almost always the first website to pop-up when I google Corolla problems and I have made some good friends and some good acquaintances on here.

Maybe as a group, we need to be a bit more open and understanding to new members/new builds and answering the same questions 100 times. The biggest thing I think about when looking at posts from new users, is that I was once in their shoes (and in many ways still am) - all excited over finding/buying an 86 and oh so naive of the world I am entering.

Keeping DK alive comes down to the people - if we want it to keep going as a group we need to be good people.

That's my $0.02

Agree totally with this. I dont post much, but i felt like i had to come to my own defense while trying to diagnose the car. People are quick to assume you dont know **** / never owned one before / etc. And that can throw off welcoming new members, or make them afraid to ask questions and look stupid. Out driving the car its all love tho, you always gets nods / thumbs up / etc. Gotta be good people on the forums if you want to keep it going.
    86 Corolla GTS
    Coupe . Rewinds w Toyos . Low. header/exh . push button start.

We are good to people, better than any forum I've ever been on. If you want to come on here and ask stupid questions that we've gone over literally a million times.. you will be roasted. I mean members on here have taken the time to create informative detailed FAQ and first time buyer lists etc. There is more info on here than all the other ae86 forums combined.

If you come on here with a genuine interest of old Toyotas the community comes together and helps big time. I've built or helped build several members cars on here and never asked for anything in return. I've actually given three cars to members on this board for free.

^yup... exactly my thoughts.

Follow my Supra Antics on Facebook ---> HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by Dugwillis View Post
    We are good to people, better than any forum I've ever been on. If you want to come on here and ask stupid questions that we've gone over literally a million times.. you will be roasted. I mean members on here have taken the time to create informative detailed FAQ and first time buyer lists etc. There is more info on here than all the other ae86 forums combined.

If you come on here with a genuine interest of old Toyotas the community comes together and helps big time. I've built or helped build several members cars on here and never asked for anything in return. I've actually given three cars to members on this board for free.
    Yeah im not saying you need to answer over n over, but people are quick to assume you never used the search feature. I agree, you guys are great, I dont want you to think otherwise. By "keep being great" i was implying that you already are, i was just shedding some light on things ive read and experienced myself in the past. Love old toyotas. owned several.
    86 Corolla GTS

Quote Originally Posted by matt604 View Post
    Agree totally with this. I dont post much, but i felt like i had to come to my own defense while trying to diagnose the car. People are quick to assume you dont know **** / never owned one before / etc. And that can throw off welcoming new members, or make them afraid to ask questions and look stupid. Out driving the car its all love tho, you always gets nods / thumbs up / etc. Gotta be good people on the forums if you want to keep it going.
    In life you have to defend yourself, in education you defend your opinion/thesis/theory, people assume because we're all heuristic by nature. If people don't challenge each other no one will excel, if DK as community doesn't challenge itself it will demise. Life is a stochastic challenge at the end of the day. Conflicting states or change is the only interesting part of life whether its tires struggling for grip or myriads of bits flying out of your computer at lightspeed over a stateless protocol to some web server to browse dk.

Don't be upset you have to explain, defend, or help someone to create a common understanding on some old jank toyotas, you have nothing to fear but fear itself. The issue with being new to most things is people are so ego driven and hold such outrageous self views of themselves it exacerbates the problem ten fold.

The young crow can fly miles around the old crow but the young crow don't know which way to go -- pretty much sums up this new-users/master-slave dialectic.

DK will never die if people are brave enough to continue to ask for help and others are willing to give it. It will need to change to survive but that's a given.

Quote Originally Posted by woodenturn View Post
    DK should ban such nonsense. 2 cents~ sr86 www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?32933-Elizabeth

Quote Originally Posted by LastLatvian View Post
    In life you have to defend yourself, in education you defend your opinion/thesis/theory, people assume because we're all heuristic by nature. If people don't challenge each other no one will excel, if DK as community doesn't challenge itself it will demise. Life is a stochastic challenge at the end of the day. Conflicting states or change is the only interesting part of life whether its tires struggling for grip or myriads of bits flying out of your computer at lightspeed over a stateless protocol to some web server to browse dk.

Don't be upset you have to explain, defend, or help someone to create a common understanding on some old jank toyotas, you have nothing to fear but fear itself. The issue with being new to most things is people are so ego driven and hold such outrageous self views of themselves it exacerbates the problem ten fold.

The young crow can fly miles around the old crow but the young crow don't know which way to go -- pretty much sums up this new-users/master-slave dialectic.

DK will never die if people are brave enough to continue to ask for help and others are willing to give it. It will need to change to survive but that's a given.

Lots of nice quotes there. I simply threw out there what i thought was detrimental to the site. You dont need to worry about me. I continue to frequent the site and read and post here n there. Others not so much tho.
    86 Corolla GTS

Quote Originally Posted by matt604 View Post
    Lots of nice quotes there. I simply threw out there what i thought was detrimental to the site. You dont need to worry about me. I continue to frequent the site and read and post here n there. Others not so much tho.

Quote Originally Posted by woodenturn View Post
    DK should ban such nonsense. 2 cents~ sr86 www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?32933-Elizabeth

This is a great thread.

I think this is a priceless forum. The scarcity of the cars only makes it more so.

I'm admittedly a bit of a lurker and could post more but I always enjoy reading up on this forum. However, to me part of the issue may be with answering the question: what exactly the expertise on this forum speaks to? Old school can mean different things and dori kaze relates to drifting, specifically the Corolla GTS.

I first became a member in 2005 after I bought an ae86. I sold it and have been looking for one since. At that time there were lots of people who were interested in forum cause they dreamt of delivering Tofu, I prefer the comments contributions made now. It's not just volume that makes the forum to me the content and comments.

I've also become more interested in different rwd Toyotas over the years because of how difficult finding a GTS is now. Other Toyotas that people build and there reasons for that platform are interesting to read about as owning a car is such an individual experience (even if it can be shared with a community of like minded people). So reading about different cars, swaps, applications or builds is where I am at. People who build the car cause they love it but want it to be reliable and a good daily are as interesting for me as someone who wants 300+ hp.

I do struggle with what to post though, as some others have mentioned but for different reasons than being chastised. For instance, I'm parting out a 2005 XRS and planning on using the engine in an mr2 spyder. I don't know how to get the drive axles disconnected so I can pull the engine. This is the first time I'm pulling an engine. Is that something I could ask about here? Are people interested in spyders on this site? It's not old school but my year is fifteen years old now? (I know there other sites dedicated to mr2s but i prefer dori kaze as a community. In that way it's a question of gauging interest about my post or question more than quips someone might post).

There's always room for growth and the forum setup is better as reference and long-term community growth than FB, although using several social media platforms would enhance the DK community in my eyes. Maybe more regional events and region subgroups within the site? It's harder and to find good AE86s but the building different cars and knowledge about them might keep people coming back to DK.

I just got back to Edmonton after eight years in the states doing my PhD. I'm really curious about the Edmonton old school scene, even Alberta for that matter. A forum setup let's you organise for regularity and long term compiling of collective knowledge.

Another reason I think this forum is great is because it's Canadian and that just says it all in my books.

Lastly, what happened to those DK decals people have been asking about? Lol
    Last edited by Harjeet; 07-29-2016 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Harjeet View Post
    I do struggle with what to post though, as some others have mentioned but for different reasons than being chastised. For instance, I'm parting out a 2005 XRS and planning on using the engine in an mr2 spyder. I don't know how to get the drive axles disconnected so I can pull the engine. This is the first time I'm pulling an engine. Is that something I could ask about here? Are people interested in spyders on this site? It's not old school but my year is fifteen years old now? (I know there other sites dedicated to mr2s but i prefer dori kaze as a community. In that way it's a question of gauging interest about my post or question more than quips someone might post).
    Start a thread for this, I find it really rather interesting. If people aren't interested most will simply ignore your thread, only some will poo-poo it - that's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Harjeet View Post
    This is a great thread.

I think this is a priceless forum. The scarcity of the cars only makes it more so.

I'm admittedly a bit of a lurker and could post more but I always enjoy reading up on this forum. However, to me part of the issue may be with answering the question: what exactly the expertise on this forum speaks to? Old school can mean different things and dori kaze relates to drifting, specifically the Corolla GTS.

I first became a member in 2005 after I bought an ae86. I sold it and have been looking for one since. At that time there were lots of people who were interested in forum cause they dreamt of delivering Tofu, I prefer the comments contributions made now. It's not just volume that makes the forum to me the content and comments.

I've also become more interested in different rwd Toyotas over the years because of how difficult finding a GTS is now. Other Toyotas that people build and there reasons for that platform are interesting to read about as owning a car is such an individual experience (even if it can be shared with a community of like minded people). So reading about different cars, swaps, applications or builds is where I am at. People who build the car cause they love it but want it to be reliable and a good daily are as interesting for me as someone who wants 300+ hp.

There's always room for growth and the forum setup is better as reference and long-term community growth than FB, although using several social media platforms would enhance the DK community in my eyes. Maybe more regional events and region subgroups within the site? It's harder and to find good AE86s but the building different cars and knowledge about them might keep people coming back to DK.

I just got back to Edmonton after eight years in the states doing my PhD. I'm really curious about the Edmonton old school scene, even Alberta for that matter. A forum setup let's you organise for regularity and long term compiling of collective knowledge.

Another reason I think this forum is great is because it's Canadian and that just says it all in my books.

Lastly, what happened to those DK decals people have been asking about? Lol

Definitely start a thread for the XRS, I think you will be surprised to see the variety of Toyota owners on DK. I know for sure there is at least one guy on here who loves the Spyder and will pick up on your thread.

As for the Toyota scene in Edmonton/AB - there are plenty of guys in the area(s) Spencer and Mat are both in Edmonton/super knowledgeable and respond to questions quickly, it helps they also have awesome builds on the go.

Like anything in life, you have to put yourself out there - which you have started by posting here. I suggest going to meets, participating in build threads and 100% posting about your own build. Most of the guys on here that I have an attachment to responded to my initial thread and are now relied upon resources, some of who I talk to on an almost daily basis.

Go to meets, invite people over for beers, go help people with their cars, garages or what ever project they may have on the go. We are a community and though we can be seen as a bunch of grumpy old men, I am proud (and was impressed) with how supportive this group is for just about anything life can through at us.
    2011 Ford Escape - stock
    1984 AE86 - SR20
    1976 KE35 - rust bucket

Cheers, Jshray!! I appreciate the suggestions. Look forward to meeting you soon as well as Spencer and Mat.

I feel like dorikaze is one of the greatest tools I've had in building my 86 which in turn had taught me about cars in general as a teenager and because of that I am now in the collision repair industry. Without help from the corolla community in Vancouver island/Vancouver I would have sold my coupe long ago in search of something newer and may not have pursued the extent of modification done to my 80s economy box. I would hate myself today if I had done that.

I'm 21 years old, been on the forum since I was 16 as a lurker and eventually a member. There is a younger generation that uses this site for info/parts but I feel most of us don't post often as we should.

Dorikaze will never die in my eyes.

I will be posting a build thread for my car once it's finished and painted! Who knows, may even make one for my te72 wagon when I eventually swap it.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

still here and lurrrking.
    1987 AE86 GTS

derp derpa lurk....
    Bryan
    DK Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Old 'Rollas View Post
    derp derpa lurk....
    Bryan, you still driving those 20 cars you got?

I've been lurking for years, been out of the Corolla game a long time (like 8 yrs or more). I still come and lurk, mostly for the for sale section and members rides. I dabbled with Cressida's for a while, that were just as rusty as my previous **** box Corolla's. I just bought a 02' IS300 5spd off paulcorolla last summer which has been fun. It's like a grownup Corolla with more power, so it's easier to slide.

Most of what has been said rings true, FB has been the #1 killer IMO. 99% of us have a phone connected to our hand at every hr of the day, and FB is a faster way of gratification without logging on to the interwebs.

Paul Boost/Piggity/whatevar out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?