Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the Toyota game, from Barrie Ontario

New to the Toyota game, from Barrie Ontario

Hey everybody,* my names Mark and I'm 22. Currently living in Barrie Ontario for work but am from PEI.

Joined up because I just picked up this 1986 Corolla SR5 to keep me busy while I'm away from my other toys back home.

It's 100% stock right down to the gross auto transmission but that'll be changed soon enough. Car doesn't have a single spec of rust on it with a mint interior so couldnt say no.

My other vehicles I had to leave home

1971 Datsun 510

Bought this one 2 and a half years ago and redid pretty much every nut and bolt myself. Motor is a 2 litre block bored out to fit a different 2.2 litre's pistons, attached to a different 2 litre's longer rods, matched with a ported jdm closed chamber head that puts the compression around 10.5:1. Has a 530 lift isky cam, Nissan competition long tube header and dual weber 45s all connected to a 280zx 5 speed. Lowered on homemade coilovers up front (shortened tubes with MR2 inserts and t3 coilover sleeves) and Camaro shocks with D50 springs on the rear. Exterior is pretty much how I found it. There's more but I've gone on long enough haha

When I first got the engine in the car, running weber 40s and a stock manifold at that point while I searched for the 45s and header.

It's really my pride and joy (as you can probably tell from all I've gone on about it haha) it's won a few awards at shows and was just in the last issue of Roadkill magazine.

1974 Datsun 620

This was my new project before having to leave for work. Was going to put an sr20 in it but have since changed my mind and will probably just keep with the stock 1.8/4 speed while lowering it with some wide wheels and use it to haul around the plethora of parts I buy.

And my summer daily a 2011 Mustang GT California Special.

5.0 V8 with 6 speed manual of course. Stock apart from a Roush exhaust.

Well back to the 86!

My initial plans were to throw some Rota wheels on it with coilovers, find a zenki lip, skirts, and slowly decide what motor I was going to swap in... that all changed pretty quickly.

The Rota's are on a 3 month backorder and were way more expensive then I thought, at the same time the real deal Work's Meister CR01's weren't near as much as I thought they'd be and build time is less than the wait for Rota's you can probably see where I'm going with this.. looking at
    F: 15x8-10
    R: 15x9-10

Also while searching for engines came across a recently pulled F20c AP1 with all sensors, accessories and harnesses for $2000...the catch, no transmission. Well found one of those for $600....a $2600 set, that's just too good to pass by if you ask me! Even got in contact with JSP and they have a $200 off promotion on their swap kit, sounds like it was made to be haha.

Hopefully will be starting a build thread as soon as the parts start rolling in, very excited to kick this off!

Welcome! Nice cars, love the 510. Looking forward to seeing the build of the 86!

nice to see someone from the east coast
    and really nice cars! that 510 is awesome....so jealous!
    cheers!

Thanks for the warm welcome! And the Datsun love haha.

Had the 86 out on the highway today, with the 3 speed auto it was not having a good time lol. 4000rpm at 120kph.... engine swap can't happen soon enough lol

Hahaha, it's been a while since I've drove mine, but 120 is somewhere around the 5000 mark in a GT-S.

Lol. I remember when my car had the auto trans and 4ac. It was not very fun lol. The fun will improve with a 5 speed in there. Good find tho. The minty sr5's are basically all gone now

Quote Originally Posted by jewbaka421 View Post
    Lol. I remember when my car had the auto trans and 4ac. It was not very fun lol. The fun will improve with a 5 speed in there. Good find tho. The minty sr5's are basically all gone now
    Yeah I've looked at a few before and they were pretty much just held together with paint lol.

Had some people checking out the car yesterday while I was walking to my impreza, overheard "never mind it's an auto I take back everything I said" before they drove off lol. Guess some people dont realize how easy that can be changed haha.

Also finally ordered my wheels! It'll be around a 3 month wait but super excited for them. Ended up getting Work Meister CR-01's in 16x9-17 and 16x9-42.

Also found a set of cby flares and skirts, hence the wheel size. Gonna be awesome!

Please don't cut up those minty arches for some CBY's...

Quote Originally Posted by Xanicron View Post
    Please don't cut up those minty arches for some CBY's...
    Seriously, trade a local for some abused fenders since youre going to cut them apart. Those things look way to nice.

Very jelly about your Datsun collection. Very cool!
    Mat 83 GTS Hatch 87 GTSR5 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post
    If only I put the same amount of effort into my schooling as I do my car. Education is important, but racecar is importanter.
    Stuff I'm Selling
    IG Mattyballz86

CBY's are the worst flares of all the flares made. That's my negative comment.

My positive comment is that the 4AC auto is awesome. I enjoyed my many ontario 4AC's corollas.
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

Yeah, seriously. Getting clean fenders like those are like unicorn blood. I've got some levin front overfenders for that if you're still in Barrie when I come back.

Nice corolla! Welcome...
    Dean L.
    2007 Lexus LX470
    2000 Lexus LS400
    1985 Toyota Celica Supra 1JZ - 1JZ, restored
    1987 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ73

Wow I honestly did not realize that good fenders were that rare, and that cby's were so hated haha. I figure since I'm going SR or F20 and that i will probably never drift this thing (it might see some road courses though) that having the widest wheel possible with a properly fit tire to get power to the road is a high priority. Plus maybe I'm crazy but I like the cby flares as long as the skirts are with them haha.

If there is anyone local who has Trueno fenders to trade I'd be more then willing to do a 1 for 1, as long as they're not rusty. Cutting and welding or just generally working with rusty metal drives me nuts, if it's clean and solid you just run into far less problems

Don't listen to Quinn, 4ac's are ass and belong at the bottom of the ocean. Also, CBY's are awesome, but they really need an aggressive bumper setup to make them look proper.

Please don't cut up those fenders. I'd give you my left nut for that driver side one. I've literally spent 2 years searching for a clean driver side one. I have 9 pairs of fenders. Each one of those pairs has a ****ed driver side, while the passenger side is fine lol
    '80 MX32 sedan |'83 AE71 wagon |'84 AE86 hatch
    '85 AE86 coupe |'86 AE86 hatch |'86 AE86 coupe
    '88 MR2 S/C |'86 S12 hatch |'88 Silvia K's
    '91 Z30 Soarer '92 JZS147 Aristo |'92 S13 coupe
    '93 R33 Skyline |'98 S14 kouki

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Is dyno like 200 for the hp if mustang shifts but 300 if corolla shifts?

Nice project. But I love the 510. It seems that Datsuns just don't exist here in Manitoba.

I agree with Quinn. 4AC's are awesome slow engines. Easy to work on and maintain and parts are readily available because nobody wants them lol
    I like the look of CBY flares, they're just really wide. I think the more angular shape works better with the lines of the car than the crescent shaped ones like Run Free etc.

Anyway, nice find Akimbo! I look forward to seeing what you do with the car =)

Awesome car!

Mind if I ask how you found it?

Quote Originally Posted by white_cross View Post
    Nice project. But I love the 510. It seems that Datsuns just don't exist here in Manitoba.
    They don't really exist on the east coast either haha. I'm one of only a handful in all of atlantic canada. Just got very lucky finding it.

Quote Originally Posted by captain carnage View Post
    Awesome car!

Mind if I ask how you found it?
    Not at all! A dealer near toronto actually had it. Monaco Motorcars, they have a ton of imported stuff or just cool cars in general. I was really drooling over their midnight purple R34 GTR when I was there.

I'll trade you fenders if you're going to hack them up! (Y)

Welcome

I hope you got a good deal cuz he was asking a steep price

I had a 4ac with auto tranny and I thought it was ok, of course 4ag will be better. Sr20 would be a major job
    Last edited by Jehuty77; 03-25-2016 at 04:55 PM.