Thread: W58 Rebuilding in Toronto/Ontario ?

W58 Rebuilding in Toronto/Ontario ?

Getting some noise when trans is all warmed up in the Cressy....goes away when clutch in, so thinking its input shaft bearing.

If it's only there sometimes....how urgent is it?

Thinking this is the time to get it rebuilt; anybody know any good places in/near Toronto to have it rebuilt? I have a spare I can throw in, but would like the peace of mind long term of a rebuilt one.

Thanks,

C.
    1979 Cressida JZX3 VVTi

2econd Heart Garage

I should add that I don't have any grinding issues....shifts nice; maybe just get the input bearings replaced and skip the whole rebuild...?
    1979 Cressida JZX3 VVTi

2econd Heart Garage

if you find anyone let me know...

I also either need a diff rebuilt or a new/used one, lol

Follow my Supra Antics on Facebook ---> HERE!

Any transmission shop can rebuild a manual gearbox or a differential (as can any big truck shop). The type and serial number of bearing is stamped right on it, so once you extract it you can order a replacement (or equivalent). Any Toy dealer can also provide you with the diagram and a part number for the bearings. They are not uncommon.
    The hardest part of rebuilding the F-code Supra diff (if that's what you are fixing) is to ensure the backlash shims are the correct thickness. They are a bugger to find if the ones that come out don't go back in and set the backlash correctly. The clutches in the LSD unit are also a hard to find but not hard to repair.
    Someone in Toronto will have to offer advice on a reputable and reasonable shop. Hope this helps a bit.
    2002 & 2005 Capital City Speedway ministock champion
    2- 3rd gen Celica Stock Cars; 85 Celica GTS Convertible
    3-7th Gen Celica road and race cars
    86 Cressida wagon with a w58 swap
    Many Toyota Trucks

"It's better to be in the race for a second than to spectate forever." St Merlin

I've had bad throw out bearings make this noise with the same symptoms and conditions. Look at that first before digging into the transmission. Could be as simple as that