Thread: Port matching the cylinder head.

Port matching the cylinder head.

So I finally got my smallport head back from the slowest machinist ever. Finally time to put my motor back together. But I was wondering if it's worth it to port match the intake and exhaust? Or is that even something I should attempt at home with a dremel? Its just a stock smallport with new bearings and rings in the bottom end and new valves and springs with a 4 angle valve grind. The head and block have been shaved and I'm gonna use the trd 0.6 mm head gasket(it's been so long since I bought it I can't remember lol). It should end up with a decent boost of compression.

If you have the head off and you have some extra time, then go for it. Don't go too far into the port because you can mess up the flow characteristics and volume per port which will make it worse than factory.

Match porting

I would only consider match porting the intake side if the head is dis-assembled, so it can be cleaned really good of any aluminum filings. For the exhaust side you could open up the exhaust manifold without any problems. Usually the exhaust manifold requires very little material removal, unless you are going for an anti-reversion step. Here again the head typically has sections that needs 2 or 3mm of material removal and would need a thorough cleaning . Dave W

I would only consider it if you were running massive cams and over 7K frequently. Obviously the advantage of the small ports is that they are.. smaller and have higher port velocities at the RPMs that we run these engines on the street and helps to jam more air in.

If you are doing it just for fun and something to do, then fly at her!
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

I bolted it all together already. I didn't want to wreck anything so I left it alone. I might clean out the exhaust ports a tiny bit. Probably not tho. I'm antsy to get this thing running soon lol. The weather is pretty nice so I wanna drive!!