Thread: Hi everyone!

Hi everyone!

Hey guys, Toyota fan from South shore of Montreal. I've been lurking around when looking for info on my '85 Corolla GTS and I decided to finally register because I can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for. The car is in a sad state and I want to bring it back to its former glory, and even further. The plan is : patch up the 2-3 holes in the frame, swap anything rusted to fiberglass panels, maybe sandblast the rest, repaint, pull out engine, replace with SR20DET, take it to the track.

Interior is currently stripped to the frame behind the front seats. Fuel tank hose going into charcoal canister drips liquid gasoline (pretty sure it should be vapor and never liquid). Windshield leaks when it's raining. Some of the window trims are coming undone. There's an ominous howling coming from the rear end which is probably a bearing. The front bumper is broken and hangs lop sided. All in all, it'll be fun to work on haha! I just need a bit of advice from people who have experience with these cars. And what sites to find performance parts and what are the common modifications done.

Thank you all in advance =)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2qlal3n.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	528.0 KB 
ID:	14987

Welcome!

That howling is probably the differential. It may be able to be adjusted to be quieter, but the general consensus is that if it makes noise it will never stop. Also adjusting is halfway to replacing work wise.

Your charcoal canister shouldn't drip anything. Have the lines been redone, and redone incorrectly? There should be 3 lines, high pressure send, low pressure return and vapour. The vapour line is for the charcoal can and vents the TOP of the inside of the gas tank.

If you want to restore her to "her former glory..." then I'd recommend replacing the cancer with fresh metal instead of fibreglass.

Serendipity is right. Unless you mean "overfenders" when you say fibreglass panels, I would look into calling up Carrosserie Daniel Lauzon in Montreal.

Hey thanks for the advice guys, by "former glory" I didn't mean OEM but at least looking as pretty as new. I figured fiberglass body panels won't rust and would be lighter for track racing purposes. Plus I would be skipping the restoring step and go straight to improving whenever I can.

I checked the fuel lines and they look fine. Everything is properly connected and no leaks in sight. Couldn't be that the return and canister lines were switched could it? I've noticed when I drive for a while when I open the fuel cap there's a lot of pressure venting. I know there would usually be some but it goes for a few seconds. A friend suggested it could be the fuel pump. As for the howling it only happens when I'm above 50 and in 3rd gear or higher, stops when I'm coasting, and it turns into a quiet whistling when I reach 100-120.

Yah, thats the diff.

you could try disconnecting the lines under the hood (return and vapour) and with a full tank of gas blow into each while a [buddy/parent/sig. other] listens by the tank for bubbles. The return line should bubble and the vapour line should not. The vacuum line is also attached to the vapour canister, correct?

Currently the canister is removed (I had to buy one off ebay because it wasn't there when I bought the car) because when I drive around after a while the car starts to sputter and ends up stalling on me. But normally yes, vapour in, vacuum out, vent on bottom.

Nice to see new blood from the east coast
    Good luck with the project and keep us updated!