Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6-speed tranny (RA60)

6-speed tranny (RA60)

This seems like a pretty good price for a factory 6-speed transmision. http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pts/903894585.html
    I am intrigued.
    Are any of the gurus out there knowledgable on this transmission. As far as:

What it will bolt to?
    Weight Compared to w58 or r154?
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

Well it must bolt to any other gr toyota engine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine

Would be a kick ass upgrade, especially since it's a pretty new transmission.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

6 speed or 4x2 speed?(4 gears + high and low)(yeah that's technically 8) I've never heard of a pick up having a real 6 speed manual. Pretty pointless in a truck which usually has a very broad and flat torque curve.

It says in the ad that it's out of a 2 wheel drive truck, so it's gotta be like a newer w series tranny. I've never heard of those trucks having a 6spd though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    It says in the ad that it's out of a 2 wheel drive truck, so it's gotta be like a newer w series tranny. I've never heard of those trucks having a 6spd though.
    Tacoma X-runner is my guess

steve
    Owned too many different modified toyotas to list LOL

All 2005+ Tacoma V6 manual transmissions use the 6-speed RA60, it's a real 6-speed. This includes 2WD and 4WD models. It is also used on the 2WD and 4WD FJ Cruiser. All are equipped with the 1GR-FE 4.0L V6 engine. 4WD models are also equipped with a transfer case that includes high and low ranges.

A similar 6-speed transmission (RA62) is used on the 4GR-FSE 2.5L V6 engine used in the Lexus IS250.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
    6 speed or 4x2 speed?(4 gears + high and low)(yeah that's technically 8) I've never heard of a pick up having a real 6 speed manual. Pretty pointless in a truck which usually has a very broad and flat torque curve.
    Whether or not that's true, you are obviously very much out of touch with modern vehicles. Who still makes a 4-speed manual transmission in a mass-production vehicle? Haha!

Jeff

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

Read again. I never said 4-speeds were common. I said 6-speeds are basically unheard of and I'm right.

Read again. I never said 4-speeds were common. I said 6-speeds are basically unheard of and I'm right.
    Dodge trucks have 6 speed standard trannies, the chev allison auto is 6 speed, toyota offers the 6 speed in both 2wd and 4wd pickups. They've all been out for a while.

I want to buy this thing. Just to have for future use if nothing else.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

anyone knows how long this is compared to maybe a W55? tnx

I don't know, but I found some information here that somebody may find usefull...

i was reading on this tranny a while back, from what i remember the truck version had quite high first gear compared to the is250 version.

but compared to our cars its so new, no one knows the reliability over a 20yr span
    Speed Kills - Drive a Honda and live Forever
    http://twitter.com/coryinsales

Does anyone really need to question Toyota reliability? Especially on a transmission that's designed for a truck?

Quote Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
    Does anyone really need to question Toyota reliability? Especially on a transmission that's designed for a truck?
    yup..

they had the whole 'camshaft snapping' thing in the trucks in the last few years.. not that they're not still great.. but every company has an engineering "ooops" once in awhile.

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

So what are the ratios in this baby? If they're spaced out like a normal 5 spd with a really REAAAAALLY tall O.D. that you don't use unless you're going 160kph (like the Vipers and Vettes a decade ago) then might not be as desirable.

Well, if you like highway mileage cruising then maybe. But would it make the car more fun? Only if it's closer usable ratios.
    I am Randy's desire to go faster.

1988 Toyota MR2 Hardtop NA - Sold and sorely missed
    1992 RHD Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 1 disguised as a III - I'm not actually that big of a JDM fanboy.

Simple google search and I answered my own question.

RA60:

1 4.17
    2 2.19
    3 1.49
    4 1.19
    5 1.00
    6 0.85

From this thread: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...drive-6-speed/

Personally, it doesn't look like it'll be too much of an advantage. 1st is a stump puller. So, you're probably going to use 2-3 more. The solution is run higher final drive and bigger tires. Well, then 1-2 is so far that it'll be no fun.

I'd stick with simple W series.
    or if you really want to row a closer ratio 6spd, go try and source a Getrag from a Supra TT. But that's probably gonna cost a pretty penny.

1992 RHD Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 1 disguised as a III - I'm not actually that big of a JDM fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by celica-fiend View Post
    yup..

they had the whole 'camshaft snapping' thing in the trucks in the last few years.. not that they're not still great.. but every company has an engineering "ooops" once in awhile.

Brett
    Well, actually it was about 20 trucks in the first 2 months of production, it was pretty limited. The transmission's been in use for over 4 years now, no real problems with them that I've seen.

Jeff

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

I was actually trying to make a joke about the fact that all our cars are so old compared to this tranny. Stupid internet not getting sarcasm.
    I assumed it to be a reliable transmission, but like randedge I doubt the ratios practicality in cars like ours. With 1st being so tall, its basically a 5 speed. Good for trucks though
    Speed Kills - Drive a Honda and live Forever
    http://twitter.com/coryinsales

having a normal 1-5 spacing with a really tall 6th might be more desirable for a 2500 to 3000lb car (I'm assuming _A60 series chassis) as opposed to the super low 1st... unless you like towing a trailer and a racecar with your Celica.

..which would be pretty rad to be honest.

Holy crap 1st gear. Even if you shift at redline you're going to be way out of your powerband going into 2nd. Unless of course you happen to have a truck motor lol

Well, the OD ratio of .85 is pretty much what you have in the T50, W50/55/57/59, so you won't have a "tall" OD gear. The W58 OD is .783, the V160 is .793, and the R154 is an even taller .753. But that 4.17 first gear in the RA60 would only be good to get you rolling, or idling through a parking lot...

-> Transmission info here <-