Thread: Having issues with my small port

Having issues with my small port

I'm lost. I swapped a small port into my ae86 a few months ago. The motor was pretty pretty much fully rebuilt. I built the wiring harness myself so I could keep the small port computer and electronics. It fired up mint first try which surprised me cause I hardly know what I'm doing when it comes to wiring lol. For the first few weeks I had no 02 sensor but it ran just fine. I never really pushed it hard tho cause I was being careful to break it in properly. When I did get an 02 sensor of course it was the wrong one. And the second one lordco gave me was the wrong one. Surprise. But the wizard Jeff Lange figured that problem out for me and I do have the correct 02 sensor now. But my engine has slowly developed a problem and has begun to not start at all in the mornings and when I'm driving it, it completely falls on its face when I push the throttle too hard. It seems to run on two cylinders pretty much. Other times if I slowly push into the throttle it will rev all the way up like it should.

One thing that did happen was oil was slowly leaking in between the valve covers and drowned my spark plugs. I cleaned it all out but it didn't fix the problem. But would something like that have wrecked the spark plugs? I did have a hidden code 12 on my computer about a week ago when I checked. I cleared the codes and it hasn't come back since despite it running like crap constantly lol.

Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated. I just wanna get this thing running good so I can worry about the other things it needs

My first guess is the TPS or the wiring for the TPS. If you have a VOM check the voltage at the various TB settings. I would also check each wire run to the ECU. If you are using the stock engine bay harness you might want to check your ground junctions. Dave W

Sounds like you may have a secondary ignition misfire occurring under load. Leaky or high resistance in the plug wires or bad cap or rotor. Is there any oil left inside the plug boots?

Had a similar thing happen to my old big port. The oil killed the plugs and wires. Fix the problem (mine was leaking from the filler cap under high load/rpm because the filler cap didn't have a gasket) then once it's not leaking anymore replace your plugs and wires.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    ---------------------------------
    End.

Thanks guys. I didn't have a lot of time when I was fixing things the other day so I didn't get the spark plugs and wires perfectly clean. I did fix the oil leak tho so I will pick up some new plugs and wires today and see how it runs. At least yesterday it started before killing my battery. Hopefully it starts this morning as well lol. I'll check into the tps and wiring if I still have problems after new wires and plugs

I suggest that you ensure the cold start circuit is functioning properly. If the injector leaks or the activating circuit is in trouble, it can flood the engine and/or cause hard starting symptoms. My 2 cents.
    Good luck.
    2002 & 2005 Capital City Speedway ministock champion
    2- 3rd gen Celica Stock Cars; 85 Celica GTS Convertible
    3-7th Gen Celica road and race cars
    86 Cressida wagon with a w58 swap
    Many Toyota Trucks

"It's better to be in the race for a second than to spectate forever." St Merlin

Thanks dentman. I actually solved the problem tho. I got all the oil cleaned out a few days ago. It ran and started better but not by much. I tested my battery and it was barely hanging on to life. So I bought a new battery. But it still ran like ass. So I put new spark plugs in yesterday after I was sure there was no more oil leaks and now it runs awesome again. Thanks for the help everyone