Thread: 4AGE smaller alternator options?

4AGE smaller alternator options?

Hello!
    I am building a Locost 7, and I need to find a smaller alternator, hopefully one that will bolt right on, with a 5 rib pulley to my 4AGE big port red top.
    any ideas?
    thanks
    Doug
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160717_150145-smaller.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	15118

Quote Originally Posted by blownmiata91 View Post
    Hello!
    I am building a Locost 7, and I need to find a smaller alternator, hopefully one that will bolt right on, with a 5 rib pulley to my 4AGE big port red top.
    any ideas?
    thanks
    Doug
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160717_150145-smaller.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	15118
    Hot rod/race guys use ultra small denso units that i believe came on geo metros. You wont find a bolt on unit, but those geo ones are mighty tiny.
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

See my replay on the 4AG club.
    I assume the clearance issue is to the engine bay diagonal tube. If you are trying to run the rad hose in the stock position around the alternator, look at changing the hose and run it over the top of the alternator. I just had to shorten the upper adjusting bracket.
    Dave W
    Last edited by davew; 10-11-2016 at 07:59 AM.

thanks for the replies.
    I figured that I will have to run the rad hose over the top of the alternator.
    Dave, how long is the belt you are using? The belt I have is 840mm, and I'm thinking I need to go to 825mm or less.
    thanks
    Doug

Doug
    I just cut out [sectioned] about and 1 1/4" of the top adjustment bracket to allow the hose fit over the outer top of the alternator. I'm using the stock 840mm long belt. I would use some string and rap it around the 3 pulleys, then measure, to see if you can shorten the belt. I have less 3/8" clearance to the inboard surface of the lower mounting bracket to the actual atlernator that you could move it closer to the engine block. I'm using the stock rad hose but cut down to make a tighter turn. The hose actually rest on top of the alternator with a dense foam ring between the hose and alternator. The top of the hose just 1/2" under the engine bay upper diagonal. I have over 1" clearance to the engine bay side diagonal. Note: My engine center line is only 5/8" off-set to the right. Dave W

Hi Dave
    thanks for the tips. I still have the write-up that you sent me about 5 years ago.
    cheers
    Doug
    Edmonton, AB, Canada