Thread: A way around the insurance monster for RHD in Ontario

A way around the insurance monster for RHD in Ontario

This is a story of good news and bad news. I f you already know this than that's kick ass, but for those that don't know Hagerty offers classic insurance for the AE86. I was looking around everywhere for someone who would finally say yes to my RHD quote. My next door neighbour who is an avid classic car collector told me to try hagerty because the car is older then 25 years and so I did.

You can get classic insurance for the AE86 YES even RHD ones, but the thing is here are the stipulations: You have to have at least 1 other car insured for daily use with any other insurance company doesn't matter who it is, You can only drive the "classic car" on the weekends and to car shows, you have to be past a certain age (27 I believe) and you cannot have more then 1 ticket on your driving record. I told them I had 1 ticket and they quoted me $206 per year for the RHD AE86!!! can you believe that ? but when they ran my record they saw I had 3 tickets(****in 5 year driving record) and then they tossed it out, nooooooo, not even a higher rate or anything Insurance in Ontario really sucks major donkey balls. Anyways I am getting tired of my search for RHD insurance and I am not going to pay 5000 per year with those other dudes that are obligated to offer it, it really tears my heart but I will have to sell the car to someone who can insure it. I am also open to trades... Sigh all this dam work and I won't be able to put it on the street, **** man what a shame. **** this province.

Wow!! That's a deal. So, do all companies offer classic insurance? Or just Hagerty's

Damn that really sucks. I had a hard time finding rhd insurance also. What I'm paying now is finally reasonable. Let me know what you want for the 86

I also need to know which company. I'm coming home with a RHD car in a few years.

Hagerty's will offer classic insurance for you. Another company very similar is Lant insurance both out of Stoufville ON. They both require you to have proof that you have some other car fully insured with year round coverage whether its a camry or a jeep with any insurance company could be state farm , wawanesa they don't care as long as you have some other car you drive to work and do shopping with so as to prove you won't be driving the "classic car (AE86)" outside of the weekends and car shows.

Hagerty was by far the easiest IMO because their sign up process was easy. I just called the number on their site and said " Hi I'd like to get classic car insurance for my RHD car" and they replied we'd be happy to help you. They asked for all the normal details they emailed me some forms to fill out and They only asked for 1 , I REPEAT, ONE picture of my car from the outside whereas Blake Tricky and LANT asked for every single angle and inside and outside pics blah blah Also another advantage is that you don't need to have your home insured with them to do it, good for those that don't have a home and rent for example. Great stuff.

HAGERTY - I got a $206 per year quote classic weekend insurance from them
    https://www.hagerty.ca/insurance/

LANT- I got a $209 classic car insurance from them
    https://www.lantinsurance.ca/

All these quote were b4 I gave my drivers licence and they assumed I had a good record, so b4 they threw it out haha Remeber guys fight your tickets in court with the traffic ticket defense guys!!! don't let them go on record for a trade of no points on your licence!!

And no, as far as I know, normal insurance companies do not offer classic insurance. There might be one or 2 but it is rare.

Wait, insurance companies and your driving abstract can only look back three years. Only the police can look back 5 and it can't be held against you...

Lant was going to insure my V8 supra until they found out the meterage (300000km) and suddenly balked at insuring something so far driven. It pisses me off to no end that suddenly how far a car has driven made a difference, and I have nothing but salt for them and their kind. Find out if odometer is going to be a problem before you tell them.

Really Blaine? I heard it was 5 years on record, if it's 3 then then that's more of a relief. How are you enjoying Japan? Are you sick of it yet? haha

Sparkie I want to start a riot againt the totalitarian regime that is the insurance companies, they have complete and absolute power when it comes to letting someone drive, i hate them lol. Wouldn't it make sense that a classic car that is OLDER would have more KM on it then a newer one? DUMB DONKEYS if you want to insure cars with low km then stop insuring classic cars lol, it's not these companies faults it's our governments laws that make them do that **** in Canada and here in Ontario, because outside of here where they don't have absolute power they are way different lol

Trade me for my car SR5 bra... I already have the GTS harness and such installed... just need to patch up the rot....

Ya the policies in this province are getting outta control.

they've now also changed the rules for getting a safety, they literally throw the book at you, so even if you sell the car, good luck to the new owner on being able to safety it (thats with any ae86 or any car of age), everything needs to be perfect or you wont pass an inspection. its designed to make it just more convenient to buy a new car.
    Last edited by Jehuty77; 10-21-2016 at 10:50 AM.

I looked into Hagerty for my collector Celica. They wouldn't give insurance to me because my daily driver is the same age (I have multiple Celicas.) They said if I had a newer vehicle to insure it wouldn't be a problem. So, if your daily is, say, more than 10-15 years old they can and will deny you.

Agent said it's the first time she's seen them deny coverage, and she said she does a lot of collector cars... ICBC (our insurance corp here) had no issues and I still got my collector tags and insurance, I believe $340/year for full coverage. I think I'm going to drop collision coverage next year though, if there's an accident they only pay book value, not actual value. So I'll probably only get $1500 if I cause a crash. I'd rather have the car back for parts anyway...

Insurance sucks no matter how you slice it! I haven't had to deal with it for a while though...

It's awesome! I picked up an SW20 here. So much different than my Canadian cars, but I have always wanted one!

Dan that really sucks man, I actually didn't know about that car being same year thing. Because the car I'm driving now is 2007 Suzuki sx4. Based on thie info that you've given me, I guess another stipulation is: if you want to drive a car with classic insurance your other "full-time" car has to be fairly new lol . Stupid insurance companies.

Ok Ken I pmed you regarding trade

Blaine you make it seem like there is no insurance in Japan haha, I assume that insurance in Japan sucks more then here because of how congested the country is but I could be wrong, I've never been there so just assuming =P

Totally wrong, insurance here is an easy joke! They come to my school and do it at my desk for nothing like I was paying in Canada. Mine is on the high side at ?7000/month.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade7 View Post
    Mine is on the high side at ?7000/month.
    $89.95 CAD a month I get from google. Not amazing, but not bad I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade7 View Post
    Totally wrong, insurance here is an easy joke! They come to my school and do it at my desk for nothing like I was paying in Canada. Mine is on the high side at ?7000/month.
    Moreover, basic minimal insurance is built into vehicle inspection and registration fees.

I'm paying 6k for comprehensive coverage and unlimited liability.

Even with that, which I just got, it's still A LOT less than in Ontario, and easy to find. Imagine trying to sort the Canadian stuff out without English...

Wow, insurance rates must be killer out in Ontario, same with power bills. I read elsewhere the other day that someone in Ontario is paying $650 a month for power, that's just nuts. Even with my central A/C running almost nonstop from 4 PM - 9 PM on a really hot day (i.e. high 30s) here I don't think my power bill was more than $120/month.

I pay about $1200/year for my DD Celica (this actually has business insurance on it, required for work) and my collector is about $340. My truck has full coverage (the others don't have collision) and it's about $1900/year, but it's also a lot newer than my cars.

I'm really surprised the residents in Ontario haven't gone full pitchfork against the government, that's just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by danf View Post
    Wow, insurance rates must be killer out in Ontario, same with power bills. I read elsewhere the other day that someone in Ontario is paying $650 a month for power, that's just nuts. Even with my central A/C running almost nonstop from 4 PM - 9 PM on a really hot day (i.e. high 30s) here I don't think my power bill was more than $120/month.
    I live in a big house and my Hydro bills in the winter were between 1500-2000 a month. We had to take drastic measures not to go bankrupt. We now close down half the house in the winter and we are generally very frugal when it comes to using power. We managed to cut the bills in half.

Don't get me started on insurance. I have a collection of cars (two classics, two dd's) and a motorcycle. They upped the insurance of my bike without notice or reason by 10%. And there is no reason to shop around, because they are all the same and probably share the info anyway. I am older and experienced, never claimed a thing in my life. But I immigrated from Europe 9 years ago and experience there does not count so I lost a good 20 years. I even had to redo my drivers license for both car and bike and they meanwhile treat me like I am some kind of danger on the road. I love Canada, but these things really sicken me. And the whole 'What can you do' attitude of the average Canadian is inexplicable.
    Last edited by Guru; 10-25-2016 at 08:42 AM.

Actually last month I switched insurance company for the corolla. I went with Hagerty thru Gary Steeves Insurance from Moncton (they only do NB, NS, PEI and NL)
    Application was super easy. I did the online application then a couple hours later a lady called me and asked some questions. Basically I told them that I use my corolla like one would use a motorbike; I only ride it when it’s nice and make about 5-6000km per year. Sometimes I used it to get grocery, sometime I take it to work (but only when it’s nice). They needed proof I had a daily driver and needed 4 pictures of the car.
    So for 170$ I’m fully insured for a value of 10 000$. It’s a great peace of mind knowing that if something would happen I would be properly covered