Thread: Ma60 supra front strut swap into a ae71.

Ma60 supra front strut swap into a ae71.

Has it been done? T3 makes hybrid steering knuckles to fit them in .
    I just need to figure out if the bolt spacing is 85mm or 87.
    Can I run with out adjustable camber plates? I will also need to source a proportioning valve.

Dont do it! They're identical to Corolla struts, minus the bolt pattern spacing that mounts to the knuckle. The hub sticks out a bit further, so the scrub radius now sucks and the brakes aren't really an upgrade. Waste of time. Only reason T3 sells them is their Corolla sleeve kit fits onto the Supra struts and the Corolla strut casings are becoming hard to find.
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

Good to know. I need to give my front brakes an overhaul and I knew where to find Supra struts so I thought I would look into it. The corolla brakes just seem so wimpy, but the car is a Dd so as long as it stops the car it's fine.

Main issue is kingpin angle that will create positive camber.So you will need to adjust with camber plates or lengthened LCAs or both. Scrub radius will depend on your wheel offset and is easily in your control. The bigger vented rotors will be a big braking improvement.
    1JZ 1984 Celica GTS
    1UZ 1981 Corolla sedan
    ? 1972 Celica race car

I've done this in an 86. Simple and straightforwards. Yes, you lose camber, but the NC-RCA can compensate. The 10" brakes were nice on my corolla with 2x the stock hp. If you're just overhauling your corolla brakes, perhaps fresh rotors and some exotic pads would be the way to go, for a lot less $$$ and effort. And by exotic I don't mean Raybestos pads lol.
    - Brian

NCRCA's are junk, don't run them!
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

i have this exact swap on my ae71, the parts are so rare nowadays i wouldnt even recommend trying to source them. even finding ae86 struts will be a challenge. that being said i might consider selling the entire setup to upgrade to s13 front suspension for the right price.

koni sw20 yellow shocks, 6kg springs coilover, shortened knuckles to match ae86 p/s knuckles, caliper, pads, rotors

Duy, what did you do to fix the camber and scrub issue?

I can get supra struts, and I should be able to get the calipers, pads, bearings and rotors online.

I am running supras on my car and I want to keep them. (I like them)

Eventually I would like to get 100hp out of my car, ppl always say to upgrade your brakes first. The upgrades I know of are gts struts or supra struts.

camber > extended lcas
    scrub > run +15 offset wheels or more? stock supras must have crappy scrub?

seems like nothing you swap in is ideal, everything is a compromise. s13 suspension gives you crazy amounts of scrub for example, but their OEM spec wheel has about +45 offset to compensate. wheel options for 4x114.3 usually range in the +10 to -30 offset but 240 guys throw them on all day

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoQuinn View Post
    NCRCA's are junk, don't run them!
    Yes, there are lots of disadvantages with NC-RCA. One of them is scrub radius and whatnot.

That said, they are the bolt-on solution, and they can work.

Longer control arms would be better, but you're on your own to figure out geometry. And extended (modified) control arms, imo, can be much more sketchy than NC-RCA.
    - Brian

I have Supra struts on my TE72. Bigger bearings, better brake mounting setup, bolt on dust shield, and the option to go with bigger brakes from a 87-88 Cressida. Got my adapter RCA from Adam. Added benefit, if you decide to go 5 lug, the MX83 struts bolt in. As for camber plates, that would not change. Use ones for an 86. I have had no problems with my setup, been using it for 6 years. The adapter could be configured to be an NRCA. I am using it in the regular configuration. It is made of 2 plates, one matches the Corolla steering knuckle and the other matches the supra strut. They are bolted together. The hybrid steering knuckles from T3 would be best, no extra pieces between the ball joint and the strut.
    Bryan
    DK Moderator

Thank you all for the feed back!