Thread: 5efe egr delete. Can it be done?

5efe egr delete. Can it be done?

Did a head gasket on my mom's 1995 tercel. I got a head from a junkyard to lessen down time. Realized after mostly installed that it was from a manual car... turns out they don't have an egr system on them.

I ended up drilling and tapping the head to have something to bolt the egr pipe to and keep it sealed but I would like to get rid of the engine light.

Does anyone know how to make it no longer worry about the egr? or should I just remove the check engine light bulb as it runs fine and it only needs to pass a two speed idle test?
    Last edited by bongmuon; 11-10-2016 at 08:42 PM. Reason: wording seemed wrong..

I don't think there are any EGR sensors you can cheat - it uses the mixture monitoring sensors to determine EGR efficacy and will throw the code based on that. Put a switch inline with the MIL and and you'll probably pass the two speed idle. High speed may actually engage the EGR system to reduce NOx, but if your cat is good I'm sure it's okay.

Edit: reading some documentation and EGR may not kick in at two speed idle, california specifies a separate EGR functionality test as per manufacturers procedure. Does ontario do this?

Last edit: ontario two speed idle test ignores NOx, only tests for CO and HC, So if it looks good, it is good.

Man it's been a long time since Ive had emissions problems, I'm out of practice.
    Last edited by Sparkie; 11-11-2016 at 04:24 AM.

Lol ok, sounds good.

If all else fails i'll convert it to manual lol.

It's not that the manuals have no egr, 97-99 had evap and no egr

1991 Tercel 4A-GEsmallport RIP 09/02/2011 - - 1993 Supra.
    05 IS300 Daily